New iBike 4.0 software

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

New iBike 4.0 software

Post by Velocomp »

We are pleased to announce a new version of iBike software, iBike 4.0.

There are a number of improvements in iBike 4.0, including:

1) The ability to check for obtain the latest firmware for all iBike versions. Simply go to Device/Check Online for Firmware Update... and follow the prompts.

NOTE THAT FIRMWARE UPDATES WILL NO LONGER BE POSTED ON THE WEBSITE OR THE FORUM!

2) The ability to check for obtain the latest version of iBike software. Simply go to Help/Check Online for Update... and follow the prompts.

3) A new "Annotation" feature has been added to the menu item. Give it a try!

4) Features have been added in the Tools section that repair rides where the cadence sensor has been knocked out of position, or the wind sensor has been blocked by rain.

5) All instructions have been updated in the Help menu.

6) This software will enable access to new FW 415 (Gen III units only). FW 415 fixes some significant bugs. Use iBike 4 to access and install new firmware into your iBike. Note that the FW number makes a major jump, due to the new iBike 4 software. There is no "intermediate" firmware.

iBike 4.0 is a new platform for MAJOR improvements and enhancements planned for the iBike experience. Many of these improvements have not yet been implemented but we're working on them. Check your update feature periodically to see if a newer version of FW or software is available.

Here's where to find the updates. YOU WILL NOT NEED TO REINSTALL USB SOFTWARE AFTER THIS UPDATE.

MAC USERS NOTE: INSTALL THE VERSION THAT IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR MAC!!!

SELECT AND THEN COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE LINK BETWEEN QUOTATION MARKS INTO YOUR BROWSER. DO NOT INCLUDE THE QUOTATION MARKS!

Windows: "http://www.ibikesports.com/iBike_update ... taller.exe"
Mac/Intel: "http://www.ibikesports.com/iBike_update ... taller.zip"
Mac/PowerPC "http://www.ibikesports.com/iBike_update ... taller.zip"
John Hamann
marshr

Re: New iBike 4.0 software

Post by marshr »

I downloaded ibike 4.0 software, installed, no problem. i have mac/intel and picked correct version. From 4.0 i try to connect to get latest firmware and all day i got following error "Can not connect to server(com errer)" . no i did not spell error incorrectly the software did, anyway unable to get lastest firmware, also get same error message when try to find latest ibike software. thoughts?
Rick
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

Connect your iBike to your USB port, and then go to device->connect

Then try again to look for new firmware. Let me know if that works.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
marshr

Post by marshr »

"Server not available (com errer" is the error i get and yes i have tried all day with device connected to software and software finds the device fine with SN and latest FW 4.0.4
Rick
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

marshr wrote:"Server not available (com errer" is the error i get and yes i have tried all day with device connected to software and software finds the device fine with SN and latest FW 4.0.4
What happens when you check for iBike4 updates, or trainer list updates?

iBike has to be able to get out to the Internet, so if you have ever told a firewall to block iBike, that could cause the problem.
marshr

Post by marshr »

This is from home and never have had trouble getting thru firewall but do not tell spammers, anyway i do get same message when try to get FW, new trainers, and updated ibike software. If this persists which i suspect it will , i am using firefox but could try to make safari my perferred browers if that makes a difference, anyway, will the FW and software be listed on ibike website as never had trouble uploading either from forum or ibike site?
Rick
marshr

Post by marshr »

My firewall i have set to all incoming connections and still receive same connection error. Are others having trouble and are using mac os X?
Rick
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

What firewall do you have installed? Do you have any other Internet security SW installed? Is the Mac in your home? How is the network configured?
scsteven

Post by scsteven »

I have an intel mac and everything worked perfectly for me. I downloaded the mac installer- which upgraded my software, then connected my ibike and did the firmware upgrade. I hope you can get it all going for you!
arkiejon

Post by arkiejon »

I'm a windoze vista user and I had no problems at all till I unplugged the dongle and got WLS FAIL message. I found I can plug the IPro into the computer and start up the software and unplug USB and when I remove the dongle it gives me the WLS FAIL again. Can be repeated every time.

Just plugging the dongle to the IPro and removing it without plugging the USB in the port don't give the error.
marshr

Post by marshr »

I finally figured out what happen, somehow under edit>preferences>connection the proxy setting was checked, i have no idea how, anyway by unchecking proxy setting now everything works fine, am able to upload new FW and check for updates. Thanks all the your replies as i know just enough SW stuff to do something stupid.
Rick
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

marshr wrote:I finally figured out what happen, somehow under edit>preferences>connection the proxy setting was checked, i have no idea how, anyway by unchecking proxy setting now everything works fine, am able to upload new FW and check for updates. Thanks all the your replies as i know just enough SW stuff to do something stupid.
That would do it! Good catch.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

After installing version 4 and then loading up the iBike SW users's guide I get

iBike® 3 Ride Analysis Software
Reference Manual
Version 3.06
October 2009

There doesn't seem to be any reference to the "Annotations" , "Analyze Dynamic CDA" or "Repair Selection for Blocked Wind Sensor" functions. Repair cadence is discussed so it seems this may not be the latest documentation included in the download?
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Morocco Mole wrote:After installing version 4 and then loading up the iBike SW users's guide I get

Reference Manual
Version 3.06
October 2009

There doesn't seem to be any reference to the "Annotations" , "Analyze Dynamic CDA" or "Repair Selection for Blocked Wind Sensor" functions. Repair cadence is discussed so it seems this may not be the latest documentation included in the download?
That is the latest version of the user's guide. The documentation just hasn't quite caught up to the SW yet. Hopefully the features can be mostly understood with a little exploring, but in the mean time feel free to post any questions you have on the forum.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Congrats Travis on getting out a great upgrade! Good job!
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

travispape wrote:
Morocco Mole wrote:After installing version 4 and then loading up the iBike SW users's guide I get

Reference Manual
Version 3.06
October 2009

That is the latest version of the user's guide. The documentation just hasn't quite caught up to the SW yet. Hopefully the features can be mostly understood with a little exploring, but in the mean time feel free to post any questions you have on the forum.

ok, just that John posted - 5) All instructions have been updated in the Help menu. So was expecting an updated doc. Started playing with the new features, very cool!!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

iBike 4 is very intuitive, but an instructions summary is attached.

Instructions updated on December 10 2009 to clarify installation steps.
Attachments
iBike 4 Instructions_Summary_Dec_09.pdf
(350.29 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

Travis, Thanks for the new version! Great stuff!

Now regarding the installation instructions.....
I have Windows XP (up to date) and during the upgrade to iBike 4 from the prior version and having read the instructions John posted to not reinstall the USB drivers (for my case) I found the installation a bit confusing. I see step four of the installation instructions in the pdf detail this the same way, to not reinstall.

What was confusing was that I was asked to accept the license for the drivers (as usual), which I did and the screen telling me what it was going to do included (I think updating) something about the drivers... anyway it did seem to update at least part of the driver that was there, I had no choice to avoid the driver part that I could tell.

Anyway the driver worked fine and without rebooting. I then updated my FW directly, cool feature!

Thanks,
Russ
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Those aren't drivers you're installing; the NI-Visa Runtime Software is different from the iBike 4 software but is a part of the total installation.

The USB Adapter software is not a part of the iBike 4 installation. If you're upgrading from and earlier version of iBike software it is not necessary to reinstall the USB Adapter software. If you are installing iBike software for the first time, then it is necessary to install the USB Adapter software, which is available from our website www.ibikesports.com/downloads.html

We've clarified all of this in the instructions.
John Hamann
Jfala

Post by Jfala »

Hello all. Just upgraded from an iSport to iPro and am downloading the new software to run with the unit. However I am having difficulty installing onto my Intel Mac (running OS X 10.5.8). I downloaded the installer and ran it. Restarted my machine and received a strange Boot Cache message prior to reboot. Then when I started iBike I received an error stating the the LabVIEW runtime could not be found and will need to be installed. Any suggestions?

I have successfully installed the software on my PPC Mac, and am wondering why the Intel version is throwing this error.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jeff
marshr

Post by marshr »

I have intel mac and occassionly when new software is install i get the boot cache message but i have always accepted it and never had trouble installing and had no trouble this time installing new SW. as my prior posts i had trouble connecting to internet to download new FW but that has been resolved. so i have had your first message but not the latter..
Rick
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Jfala wrote:Hello all. Just upgraded from an iSport to iPro and am downloading the new software to run with the unit. However I am having difficulty installing onto my Intel Mac (running OS X 10.5.8). I downloaded the installer and ran it. Restarted my machine and received a strange Boot Cache message prior to reboot. Then when I started iBike I received an error stating the the LabVIEW runtime could not be found and will need to be installed. Any suggestions?
A google search turned up a good explanation of the Boot Cache message: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... 9d6a?pli=1. Perhaps when you installed iBike the OS decided that there had been enough changes to do another Boot Cache procedure. It sound like that is a normal occurrence and should not have caused your error, but maybe something went wrong in the OS during the Boot Cache process? I don't know.

Another thing to check is to make sure the iBike installer is the newer one. If you do right-click "Get Info" on the installer, it should be 61.4 MB on disk (61,331,315 bytes) and dated Dec 9 12:55 am. If you downloaded the older installer (dated Dec 1), there is a chance that it could have caused your problem.
Jfala

Post by Jfala »

Thanks for the tips. The installer package is dated December 8th. I am still receiving the LabView Runtime error but the Boot Cache message is now gone. Where can I find the December 9th installer? I have been using the link found on the iBikeSports.com page.

Thanks again.

Jeff

UPDATE: Just for the hell of it I downloaded the PPC version to my Intel Mac. Then ran the software. I then downloaded the Intel version and now it works. I think the PPC version loaded the LabView Runtime library. Not sure.
campycarbc50

Post by campycarbc50 »

WOW......That's got to be the easiest update ever!
Great Job Guy's!!!
Live to Ride....Ride to Live
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Tried to download the installer software again tonight but got a file not found message, I did notice though the following link works

http://www.ibikesports.com/iBike_update ... taller.exe

Is 4.01 good to go ?
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Morocco Mole wrote:Tried to download the installer software again tonight but got a file not found message, I did notice though the following link works

http://www.ibikesports.com/iBike_update ... taller.exe

Is 4.01 good to go ?
Yes. I'm not sure how you would have gotten a file not found message, but it sounds like you are good to go.

Travis
mullerrj

Post by mullerrj »

I can't get the new 4.0 software to load onto my new laptop w/ Windows 7 home edition. During install I get an error message: NI-VISA x64 support 4.3 installation has failed. Anyone have a clue why/how this happens and how to fix so I can complete the install? Thanks Rob
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

mullerrj wrote:I can't get the new 4.0 software to load onto my new laptop w/ Windows 7 home edition. During install I get an error message: NI-VISA x64 support 4.3 installation has failed. Anyone have a clue why/how this happens and how to fix so I can complete the install? Thanks Rob
Contact me if you are still having a problem and we'll debug this: tpape@velocomp.com
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Aloha:

Something is certainly screwed up somewhere!

I just installed (it installed over my old iBike 3.x.x!!) iBke 4.0.2.

Now when I try to start the program I get a window for another program of unknown origin titled LabView 8.5 asking me to find some LabView files?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Nothing I can do seems to get me around this.

How do I make this program work again!!!!

Thanks,
Lonnie

PS am going to try to reinstall version 3.x.x
Lonnie

Post by Lonnie »

Aloha again:

Well, a fresh install of 4.0.2 got me absolutely no where!!

What is the story with LabView 8.5 and it files. The only thing that seems to be on my computer named LabView is this initial splash screen!

This is most definitely NOT an auspicious beginning!

Lonnie King