New Isaac/Mac Users: how to install version 5.1 for Big Sur, Catalina, and earlier macOS

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Download Isaac for Mac version 5.1, works with Catalina!

Post by Velocomp »

gbussey wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:18 am OK - I thought I might be a success story, but not so much. Did fine with NI-488.2 and NI-VISA_Runtime and LabVIEW2019SP1RuntimeEngine but when I got to SiLabsUSBDriverDisk, even though I did the "allow" thing in the security preferences, I still got this message:
"Driver may need approval. CP210x VCP driver is not loaded, but is present in the file system. This could indicate that the driver needs user approval in the system preferences." But not sure what to do beyond what I already did in that regard. Note that Silicon Labs shows up in the list of blocked entities, but the box next to it is NOT checked, so I am assuming that means that it is in fact NOT blocked, as the other installed parts also show up on that list but also indicated installed successfully.

And finally - when i went to do the control open thing with isaac, the loading splash screen showed up, but then immediately disappeared and nothing else happened. And for what it is worth, the old 4.1 of Isaac is still in my applications folder but showing up as not working with catalina.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Sorry you're having problems. Please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com and we'll figure out a way to arrange a Skype call
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

After installing Catalina (10.15.2 for example) you might find a folder "Previously Relocated Items" which contains a number of aliases to National Instrument shell scripts of other similar files. These are not easily deleted - You will get error messages that MacOS requires them - although they are only aliases (icons have an arrow in them, or if you "get Informalities" they point to file located in system file, share directories of similar locations.

They really are harmless. But if you want to get rid of them, you may need to boot fo an external thumb (or spinning) drive with a valid operating system. If you do that and find the offending folder, you will be able to delete the entire tree branch. Otherwise attempting to delete will evoke warnings about needed for MacOS.

So you may need to build a thumb or spinning external with Mojave or Catalina OS. The Recovery or Safe Boot (you will not see the folder of booting holding the SHIFT key) do not suffice.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

As identified in the Catalina update to 10.15.4 - there is a warning that the Silicon Labs group of extensions and apps has at least one component that will not be supported in the next MacOS.

Looks like Si Labs will have something to fix.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lorduintah wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 pm As identified in the Catalina update to 10.15.4 - there is a warning that the Silicon Labs group of extensions and apps has at least one component that will not be supported in the next MacOS.

Looks like Si Labs will have something to fix.
SiLabs continues to make a lot of changes to their drivers. I just uploaded their latest driver to our Mac install page, though I doubt it will fix this particular issue. I'm sure SiLabs will fix this soon...
John Hamann
aultonater

Post by aultonater »

I’ve just received my Power pod v3 lite and have started reading how to install ISAAC for Mac but maybe I am missing something as your instructions say down load the 6 files and only open and read the instruction file to start with …. well there is my problem there are only 5 links and non are called instructions !
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yikes! There were some old posts out there...I think they are all fixed now. You should now find 6 links on the Mac install page.
John Hamann
aultonater

Post by aultonater »

Thanks got them all and appear to have all gone as expected through every stage of the install but when I finally connect my powerPod to Isaac I don't get the connection and no green box around the usb symbol ?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It sounds like the SiLabs driver did not load properly.

Go to Apple/Systems Preferences/Security&Privacy/General

I suspect you'll see a message saying "System Extension Blocked" for SiLabs. Click on the "Lock" button, enter your PW, then click on Allow.

Hopefully this will fix the problem.
John Hamann
aultonater

Post by aultonater »

All sorted thanks it was the cable, got another cable and worked straight away
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

I am trying to install ISAAC 5.1 on a MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina, version 10.15.4 using these instructions and files.
So far it does not work.

The SiLab driver installer generates this error:
unexpected reply from installKextFromBundle kOSKextReturnAuthentication (-603946995) at /Users/host/jenkins2/workspace/Host_Software_MacOS_Build_VCP_Driver_5.x_Pipeline/driver/silabser/osx/installer2/Install CP210x VCP Driver/Install CP210x VCP Driver/AppDelegate.m:1122

Any suggestions?

Also, connecting my aeropod results in the green light flashing for a bit, then goes to red light flashing.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

I am attempting to get this to work on a touchbar MacBookPro running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (soon to be 10.15.5)
If the NI-488 driver is successfully installed, should the troubleshooting wizard in /Applications/National Instruments/NI-488.2 "work",
or will it say "the NI-488.2 software is not correctly installed on your system" regardless?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I don't use the wizards in the drivers software.

What's important is to precisely follow the install instructions, taking special care to click "Allow" when you see the System Extension Blocked message appear.
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

I've done that.
Ive gone through the prescribed sequence doing my best to follow the directions numerous times.
By and large I do not find "system extension blocked" messages or "allow" buttons in the security & privacy control panel.
I believe I have only seen that once.

Have you done a clean install on macOS Catalina 10.15.4, as opposed to say 10.15.3 or 10.15.2?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ted.kelly wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:24 pm I've done that.
Ive gone through the prescribed sequence doing my best to follow the directions numerous times.
By and large I do not find "system extension blocked" messages or "allow" buttons in the security & privacy control panel.
I believe I have only seen that once.

Have you done a clean install on macOS Catalina 10.15.4, as opposed to say 10.15.3 or 10.15.2?
I am responding to your emails so I won't repeat comments here.
John Hamann
meste

Re: New Isaac/Mac Users: how to install version 5.1 for Big Sur, Catalina, and earlier macOS

Post by meste »

Morning,

Has anyone managed to install Issac on a M1 Mac machine?

Thanks,
Serban
mir

Re: New Isaac/Mac Users: how to install version 5.1 for Big Sur, Catalina, and earlier macOS

Post by mir »

meste wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:13 am Morning,

Thanks,
Serban
Since M1 is ARM based this is impossible until an Isaac version is made for ARM.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Thanks,
Serban
Unfortunately, the "Rosetta" translator made by Apple to convert Intel programs (such as Isaac drivers made by National Instruments) to M1 does not work properly. This is an Apple defect, not ours; Apple brags about the fact that Intel programs will run on an M1, but not all do.

We have no idea when, or if, National Instruments will make their drivers compatible with the M1 chip.

At this point the best hope is for a virtual machine emulator, such as Parallels or VMWare, to get working on the M1 chip. Both firms are working on this now actively. When this happens Isaac will be able to work.
John Hamann
meste

Post by meste »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:42 am

Thanks,
Serban
Unfortunately, the "Rosetta" translator made by Apple to convert Intel programs (such as Isaac drivers made by National Instruments) to M1 does not work properly. This is an Apple defect, not ours; Apple brags about the fact that Intel programs will run on an M1, but not all do.

We have no idea when, or if, National Instruments will make their drivers compatible with the M1 chip.

At this point the best hope is for a virtual machine emulator, such as Parallels or VMWare, to get working on the M1 chip. Both firms are working on this now actively. When this happens Isaac will be able to work.
So what would be needed is to run Parallels on my M1 Big Sur laptop? But which operating system?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

meste wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:27 pm
Velocomp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:42 am

Thanks,
Serban

So what would be needed is to run Parallels on my M1 Big Sur laptop? But which operating system?
We have tried Parallels on a Mac with an M1 chip. Unfortunately it does not work. So, right now, there is no solution for running Isaac on an M1 Mac :-(
John Hamann
gbussey

Post by gbussey »

Not that we will know for awhile, but I wonder whether the changes that zapped Isaac from 11.3 to 11.4 will be fixed in 11.5 or the upcoming new Mac OS. In the meantime, lucky I still have my old Mac with an OS 10.x OS.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

gbussey wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:37 pm Not that we will know for awhile, but I wonder whether the changes that zapped Isaac from 11.3 to 11.4 will be fixed in 11.5 or the upcoming new Mac OS. In the meantime, lucky I still have my old Mac with an OS 10.x OS.
Sadly, I would not count on it. Apple continues to tighten the screws on its OS, making backwards compatibility nearly impossible.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I know we have discussed virtualization applications - VM Ware and Parallels - to be used to run Windows on your Mac platform - the same is true for running older Mac OS versions - those prior to Big Sur or Catalina, for example.

VM Ware does have a free version that runs just fine along side of Big Sur allowing you to run older Mac systems - I have one running High Sierra.

So for those limited to one Mac and not having a way to get the Windows .iso file with a valid key - this should be another option to keep Isaac running. The last hurdle you might have is the amount of RAM you have and is there enough to fire up the virtualization app and virtual MacOS.