Download Isaac for Mac version 5.1, works with Catalina!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Download Isaac for Mac version 5.1, works with Catalina!

Post by Velocomp »

Isaac for Mac, version 5.1, is now available. Isaac 5.1 works on macOS Catalina, as well as earlier versions of macOS, including Mojave.

There are six files to download from this page. YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNLOAD ALL SIX FILES!!

1) Isaac Mac Software Installation Instructions
2) NI 488 driver
3) NI VISA driver
4) LabView driver
5) SiLabs Driver
6) Isaac for Mac
Isaac-Mac SW InstallationCatalina040520.pdf
(4.57 MiB) Downloaded 500 times
NI-488.2 19.5.dmg.zip
(79.98 MiB) Downloaded 888 times
NI-VISA_Runtime_19.0.0.dmg.zip
(7.9 MiB) Downloaded 856 times
LabVIEW2019SP1RuntimeEngine.dmg.zip
(52.26 MiB) Downloaded 870 times
SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg.zip
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 548 times
Isaac for Mac.zip
(110.58 MiB) Downloaded 1047 times
After you have downloaded the files, but before doing ANYTHING else, OPEN THE SOFTWARE INSTRUCTIONS FILE. DO NOT OPEN ANY OTHER FILES.

Once you have opened the instructions, DO WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY, IN EXACTLY THE CORRECT ORDER (you will install the drivers in a specific order)!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED: OPEN AND INSTALL THE SOFTWARE FILES ONLY WHEN THE INSTRUCTIONS TELL YOU TO DO SO, AND HOW THEY TELL YOU TO DO SO!!

If you follow the instructions you will have no trouble installing Isaac on your Mac, even if it is running macOS Catalina. If you don't follow the instructions then you likely will have a real mess on your hands. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!

After you have installed Isaac/Mac/5.1, you will be able to install firmware updates, access your profiles, get serial number information, and view your old ride files.

SPECIAL NOTE ONLY FOR CUSTOMERS WITH OLDER VELOCOMP PRODUCTS!

If you want to use Isaac/Mac/5.1 to download new ride files from your device, and your device was manufactured prior to Dec 1 2019, you will need to purchase an unlock key for your Velocomp device(s), from here:

https://bit.ly/2DkYQJr

After you've purchased your key and gotten an email with the key attached, you can use the following link to learn how to load the key into your device:

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5321

If you have more than one Velocomp device, only order one upgrade; send us the serial numbers for all of your devices, and we will send unlock keys for all of them.
John Hamann

lorduintah

Re: Isaac for Mac version 5.1, for Catalina

Post by lorduintah »

John -
Install went fine with a couple minor differences for me - It may be due to MacOS 10.15.1...

Silicon Labs did not ask to Allow access through the System Preferences/Security&Privacy/General

National Instruments request to Allow did show up - later after I had already run Isaac. So it is possible that other users may need to be aware that they should keep System Preferences open and unlocked with their password until they are sure that everything Catalina is happy about access.

Running Isaac will likely require the very same CONTROL key while first launch as was described during the installation of several packages to open the Isaac application for the first time.

When I get my keys for my meters, I will have to see if there are any differences, but my last ride loaded up just fine - with a few necessary to download form my PP3 as soon as I add the feature key.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lorduintah wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am
John -

Silicon Labs did not ask to Allow access through the System Preferences/Security&Privacy/General

National Instruments request to Allow did show up - later after I had already run Isaac. So it is possible that other users may need to be aware that they should keep System Preferences open and unlocked with their password until they are sure that everything Catalina is happy about access.

Running Isaac will likely require the very same CONTROL key while first launch as was described during the installation of several packages to open the Isaac application for the first time.
If you previously loaded SiLabs drivers and enabled the System Security feature, then you would not get the new message.

It's odd about NI stuff...not sure why that happened. We will keep an eye on this.

Instructions say to hold down Control button when first-launching Isaac. After that, you don't have to hold down the control button anymore.
John Hamann

lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Feature keys loaded without any issues.

Thanks.

TuRu00

Post by TuRu00 »

Cant understand how install software can be still like this on XXI century.

TuRu00

Post by TuRu00 »

bingo! i followed the steps and...it did not work, at least on Catalina 10.15.1. I got an alert on LabVIEW2019SP1RuntimeEngine.dmg.zip installation warning about may be it would not be compatible with this os version.it starts..shows the launcher screen and... unexpected close.

I found the solution but now i have to pay for download my rides? ¿is that a joke? I paid for my Aeropod on kickstarter (so i paid part of the development and now i have to pay for use it? Without being told about this? this is disgusting.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

TuRu00 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 am
Cant understand how install software can be still like this on XXI century.
With the increasing rise of security concerns, the days of double-click Apple installations are receding into the background.

It is Apple (with its security requirements and installation methods) and National Instruments (with its buggy drivers) who are forcing all of the complications.
John Hamann

kamenr

Post by kamenr »

Tried the install just now, followed your instructions but the very first item, Silicon Labs, did not install. Got this error notice:
image (1).png
image (1).png (127.39 KiB) Viewed 8564 times

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Grr...Apple's 'System Extension Blocked' "feature" is keeping the driver from installing

Do the following:

1) Go to "System Preferences/Security&Privacy/General". If there is a message there asking you to Allow SiLabs, unlock the window, then click Allow. You will then need to reinstall the drivers.

2) If you don't see an Allow message, reinstall the SiLabs driver. If at the end you still have a failed installation, go immediately to "System Preferences/Security&Privacy/General". Hopefully you'll now be able to allow the driver! Then, reinstall the drivers again. This time it should work.

Let us know what happens.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.30.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.30.09 PM.png (149.46 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.30.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.30.18 PM.png (126.41 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
John Hamann

kamenr

Re: Isaac for Mac version 5.1, works with Catalina!

Post by kamenr »

Unfortunately your suggested fix didn't work, there is no such question in the General dialog box. I tried several more times, keep getting the same error message posted before. I did check to see if the mentioned files were in the /Library/Extensions folder and the old ones are still there. Should I trash these and try again?
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 1.26.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 1.26.01 PM.png (271.52 KiB) Viewed 8507 times

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Isaac for Mac version 5.1, works with Catalina!

Post by Velocomp »

I called Bob to find out what happened.

Bob had successfully installed a previous version of Isaac on his computer prior to upgrading it to Catalina.

Here is what we found: his Extensions folder showed that a 64bit version of SiLabs drivers (SiLabsUSBDriver64bit.kext) was installed (in 2011!). This happened probably when he installed a prior version of Isaac. It's possible that the older drivers are blocking the installation of the newer SiLabs drivers.

We installed the 3 NI Drivers (steps 2-5), connected his device to the computer, then installed and launched Isaac. We saw a green box around the USB icon, meaning that the SiLabs drivers were working; he did not have to install the SiLabs drivers!
John Hamann

kamenr

Re: Download Isaac for Mac version 5.1, works with Catalina!

Post by kamenr »

Many thanks to John for the personal attention to call me and walk through the installation. This continues his wonderful tradition of superb customer since he founded the company.

Now that Isaac is running on my Catalina iMac, I did notice some quirks. When I open saved ride files that have Newton Tracker GPS data attached, the GPS tab in the display shows the ride route but there is no map image in the background. Seems that the Google map data aren't being integrated any longer. Is there yet another Apple permission needed to connect with Google?

One other strange thing - some of the links in the Help menu either don't work or open to a site with what I guess is a Chinese error message.

So.. .. still a few bugs but nothing major. Now I just need some warmer and non-snowy weather here in Massachusetts so I can try out my new v3 Powerpod. Until then, it's the basement playing with Zwift!

kamenr

Post by kamenr »

should have written "customer service" in previous post

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kamenr wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:26 am
Many thanks to John for the personal attention to call me and walk through the installation. This continues his wonderful tradition of superb customer since he founded the company.

Now that Isaac is running on my Catalina iMac, I did notice some quirks. When I open saved ride files that have Newton Tracker GPS data attached, the GPS tab in the display shows the ride route but there is no map image in the background. Seems that the Google map data aren't being integrated any longer. Is there yet another Apple permission needed to connect with Google?

One other strange thing - some of the links in the Help menu either don't work or open to a site with what I guess is a Chinese error message.

So.. .. still a few bugs but nothing major. Now I just need some warmer and non-snowy weather here in Massachusetts so I can try out my new v3 Powerpod. Until then, it's the basement playing with Zwift!
If you restart your computer, then restart Isaac, the map images should re-appear in your ride files. We will fix the Help dead links in the next release...
John Hamann

kamenr

Post by kamenr »

Thanks John, that worked, maps are back!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Isaac/Mac Installation Instructions have been modified to alter order of drivers installation. When following the instructions, if you get an installation error on SiLabs drivers (step 4), skip the SiLabs driver installation and go immediately to step 5. Hopefully things will work. If you're still having problems see the new "Troubleshooting" section of the Isaac/Mac installation instructions, updated 12/10/19, for next steps.
John Hamann

trigil

Post by trigil »

Good morning, installation of drivers seemed to have worked fine, follow the steps exactly. Followed instructions for the last step of moving the Issac 5.1 to the Application Folder, I control-open the Issac software from my application folder, the first time, I get "cancel" or "move to trash." If I hit cancel, then control-open again, it prompts me with "open." I click "open" and see that Issac 5.1 starts, but then I get an error "Issac for Mac quit unexpectedly" -- Ignore, report... Reopen. It looks like it may be:

Application Specific Information:
/Library/Frameworks/nipalu.framework/Versions/1/nipalu
abort() called

I have rebooted the Mac to see if that changed anything, it has not. Any suggestions? Thank you for your assistance.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You are likely having problems with the "System Extension Blocked" requirement Apple has imposed for the NI Drivers

You will need to reinstall your 3 NI Drivers, in the order provided. When you do, MAKE SURE you click on the "Allow" button when installing the NI588 driver.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.21.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.21.43 AM.png (139.91 KiB) Viewed 7778 times
John Hamann

trigil

Post by trigil »

I actually had to go through the uninstall process for NI488.2 - following the instructions in the package, removing files and running a few terminal commands. I re-installed all three again, in the order described in the instructions. I am able to start up Isaac 5.1.0 on my MacBook now, but I had a bit of a challenge connecting with a USB-c to USB connector on the MacBook. After trying a couple different ports with adapters (4 USB-c on MacBook), was able to scan and get it to connect. Thanks for your support.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

trigil wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:20 pm
I actually had to go through the uninstall process for NI488.2 - following the instructions in the package, removing files and running a few terminal commands. I re-installed all three again, in the order described in the instructions. I am able to start up Isaac 5.1.0 on my MacBook now, but I had a bit of a challenge connecting with a USB-c to USB connector on the MacBook. After trying a couple different ports with adapters (4 USB-c on MacBook), was able to scan and get it to connect. Thanks for your support.
Some USB cables don't work; see this post:

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5339
John Hamann

mooneyrider

Post by mooneyrider »

I cannot get the SILabs drivers to install. I got Steps 1-3 done fine. However I get an error trying to install the SILabs kernel extensions. See screenshots below.

The new Issac crashes if I try to run it without the SILabs drivers.

I see that there are two SILabs drivers installed in <my Mac path>/Library/Staged Extensions/Library:

SiLabsUSBDriver.kext
SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext

Any help greatly appreciated.

David McCormick
Attachments
pre-install dialog
pre-install dialog
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 1.21.08 PM.png (126.17 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
install failure dialog
install failure dialog
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 1.21.29 PM.png (125.93 KiB) Viewed 6996 times

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) Click on the Apple icon
2) Select System Preferences/Security and Privacy/General
3) If you see a message saying System Extension Blocked SiLabs (or something like that) click on the lock icon in the lower left corner and enter your password, then click the Allow button

If Isaac is crashing during boot-up, most likely this is caused by failed installation of NI Visa software.

If you continue to have problems please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com
John Hamann

mooneyrider

Post by mooneyrider »

John: I went back to the Security panel and found it was National Instruments software that had been blocked. I allowed that, then reinstalled all the software from NI Visa forward. There was some point after installing the SILab software that the driver cache was being rebuilt and I had to reboot and unlock that software, but finally Isaac loaded and it could see my PowerPod.

I hope I never have to install software like this ever again.

Thanks, David

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mooneyrider wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:11 pm
John: I went back to the Security panel and found it was National Instruments software that had been blocked. I allowed that, then reinstalled all the software from NI Visa forward. There was some point after installing the SILab software that the driver cache was being rebuilt and I had to reboot and unlock that software, but finally Isaac loaded and it could see my PowerPod.

I hope I never have to install software like this ever again.

Thanks, David
It's not a lot of fun...these are security features created by Apple over which we have no control. I'm glad you got everything going!

The good news is that you WON'T have to install the drivers again... :-)
John Hamann

gbussey

Post by gbussey »

Aloha,
I am excited to see that the newest Isaac version will work with Catalina and look forward to doing the install and then bugging you with all the questions that will pop up if things go awry. .... :-)
But in the meantime ... I have stayed on Mojave solely because of Isaac, which then resulted in problems unrelated to Isaac when I got my new MacBook Pro and magic mouse 2. As a result, Apple had me uninstall my original Mojave and reinstall. Now Isaac 4.1 acts as if it is going to open, but when the initial splash screen finishes with the opening process, the whole thing just disappears and seems to not really load or start. I really don't care about that because my plan now is to upgrade to Catalina and try to download the upgrade to 5.1 and make that work.
So my question is - do I need to try to uninstall 4.1 completely, and if so, are there some detailed instructions on how to do that, or can I just drag the app icon into the trash?
Thanks in advance.
George

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You will need to follow the Isaac/Mac instructions process completely. What is happening is that you are running into a System Extension Blocked issue on Mojave.

Isaac 5.1 also runs on Mojave, but you have to follow the installation process.
John Hamann

gbussey

Post by gbussey »

Assuming you were responding to me and my questions, as I read this:
"You will need to follow the Isaac/Mac instructions process completely. What is happening is that you are running into a System Extension Blocked issue on Mojave."

I think you are telling me that I essentially need to reinstall/install 5.1 and follow the instructions - which I will do on Catalina. I can do that. My question is: So I delete the old 4.1 stuff first, and if so, are there precise instructions someplace on how to do that?

When you said this: "Isaac 5.1 also runs on Mojave, but you have to follow the installation process." I understood that I could install without upgrading to Catalina. But I do plan on upgrading, so that point is moot, except as it relates back to what I do with all of the 4.1 files that would have been in the Mojave system. Since it is a new system can I just install 5.1 per instructions without having to delete anything out of my current apps folder or various system related files?

Thanks
George

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

gbussey wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 pm
Assuming you were responding to me and my questions, as I read this:
"You will need to follow the Isaac/Mac instructions process completely. What is happening is that you are running into a System Extension Blocked issue on Mojave."

I think you are telling me that I essentially need to reinstall/install 5.1 and follow the instructions - which I will do on Catalina. I can do that. My question is: So I delete the old 4.1 stuff first, and if so, are there precise instructions someplace on how to do that?

When you said this: "Isaac 5.1 also runs on Mojave, but you have to follow the installation process." I understood that I could install without upgrading to Catalina. But I do plan on upgrading, so that point is moot, except as it relates back to what I do with all of the 4.1 files that would have been in the Mojave system. Since it is a new system can I just install 5.1 per instructions without having to delete anything out of my current apps folder or various system related files?

Thanks
George
You don't have to delete anything before installing 5.1.
John Hamann

gbussey

Post by gbussey »

Thanks for the info about no deleting. :-)

gbussey

Post by gbussey »

OK - I thought I might be a success story, but not so much. Did fine with NI-488.2 and NI-VISA_Runtime and LabVIEW2019SP1RuntimeEngine but when I got to SiLabsUSBDriverDisk, even though I did the "allow" thing in the security preferences, I still got this message:
"Driver may need approval. CP210x VCP driver is not loaded, but is present in the file system. This could indicate that the driver needs user approval in the system preferences." But not sure what to do beyond what I already did in that regard. Note that Silicon Labs shows up in the list of blocked entities, but the box next to it is NOT checked, so I am assuming that means that it is in fact NOT blocked, as the other installed parts also show up on that list but also indicated installed successfully.

And finally - when i went to do the control open thing with isaac, the loading splash screen showed up, but then immediately disappeared and nothing else happened. And for what it is worth, the old 4.1 of Isaac is still in my applications folder but showing up as not working with catalina.

Suggestions? Thanks.