FINAL NOTICE: Mac OS Catalina: Isaac/Mac won't work!!!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

FINAL NOTICE: Mac OS Catalina: Isaac/Mac won't work!!!

Post by Velocomp » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:32 pm

A final notice to all Isaac/Mac users.

If you upgrade your MacOS to Catalina, Isaac/Mac will no longer work!!!

If you decide to upgrade to Catalina, here are a few workarounds that will let Isaac/Mac run on Catalina:

1) Use a "Windows virtual machine" booted with Parallels or VM Fusion, and run Isaac/Windows.

2) Create a "bootable" external hard drive (such as a 16GB thumb drive) with OS X Mojave installed on it. Here is one way to get Mojave installed on your external drive:

https://www.imore.com/how-create-bootab ... ing-system

After booting your computer with the external drive, you'll download and install Isaac/Mac on the external hard drive; make sure to follow the Isaac/Mac installation instructions exactly!

Then, to use Isaac/Mac, you'll boot your computer with the external hard drive.

I know that 1) works; this is how I have used Isaac/Windows on my Mac.

I also successfully did 2). Creating an external hard drive with Mojave installed was particularly useful for me since there are a lot of 32 bit Mac apps on my computer. I put my other 32 bit apps on my Mojave external hard drive, so I can continue to use them too.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO AREN'T HAPPY ABOUT THIS...WE AREN'T EITHER.

I am in the process of moving all my 32bit apps over to my backup Mojave startup disk. One of the apps is for my Logitech remote control. If you want to see how difficult Apple has made things, take a look at what Logitech (a big company) says you have to do with their app in Catalina:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/artic ... cOS-Mojave

This is a real mess for ALL developers.
John Hamann

meste

Re: FINAL NOTICE: Mac OS Catalina: Isaac/Mac won't work!!!

Post by meste » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi John,

So the conclusion is that there will be no Isaac for 64bit MACOS in the future?

Serban

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:00 pm

meste wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:54 pm
Hi John,

So the conclusion is that there will be no Isaac for 64bit MACOS in the future?

Serban
Not at all. The conclusion is that it will take time for us to accomplish the update.
John Hamann

meste

Post by meste » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Ah! I see, thanks for clarifying.

shmoesmith

Post by shmoesmith » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 pm

I just got my upgrade to Catalina notice and thought I had better check the forums to see what was going on with the update - leading me to this thread.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that this hasn't already been resolved. I get that you guys are a small company with limited resources, but I've been getting warnings from Mac about 32 bit products not working on the next OS update for quite a while now (at least a year it seems?) and I would have thought you would be prepared for it. I just barely bought my powerpod in April and never would have expected a Mac OS update later in the year to basically render the product unusable(well at least unable to update profiles and fix calibrations etc). While I don't love my Mac, its the only computer I have and I don't want to mess with my OS or buy a new hard drive just to get things to work.

I really hope you guys can get the software updated soon. There are many non technical Mac users that are counting on you!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:14 am

shmoesmith wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 pm
I just got my upgrade to Catalina notice and thought I had better check the forums to see what was going on with the update - leading me to this thread.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that this hasn't already been resolved. I get that you guys are a small company with limited resources, but I've been getting warnings from Mac about 32 bit products not working on the next OS update for quite a while now (at least a year it seems?) and I would have thought you would be prepared for it. I just barely bought my powerpod in April and never would have expected a Mac OS update later in the year to basically render the product unusable(well at least unable to update profiles and fix calibrations etc). While I don't love my Mac, its the only computer I have and I don't want to mess with my OS or buy a new hard drive just to get things to work.

I really hope you guys can get the software updated soon. There are many non technical Mac users that are counting on you!
We laser-focus our very limited resources in the places we believe will provide the most benefit to the greatest number of people. In the past three years (the time since Apple announced their 64 bit mandate) we have created PowerPod, PowerPod V3, and AeroPod. Those are major products with significantly improved performance and features. Our customers love them. Projects like these require significant levels of development and lots of new firmware--computer code.

The (significant) work required to do an Isaac/Mac code-rewrite delivers exactly zero incremental customer benefit. Re-writing code to 64 bit is a resource-intensive, make-work exercise forced on Apple developers, in the service of Apple's grand technology diktats.

I would also add that Apple's security changes introduced in High Sierra produced an unexpected demand on us, to which we have responded as best as we could. We've seen some major software companies also deal with the same security issues, and their workarounds aren't pretty.

What is easy for Apple to mandate places huge burdens on others. They don't care.

We do care, and we will update Isaac when we can.
John Hamann

Disallowed Username

Post by Disallowed Username » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:36 pm

shmoesmith wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 pm

I feel the same. The Mac OS warnings have been there for a loooong time. I recommended the Powerpod whenever the occasion arose but am unable to do so now. Isaac was too old-fashioned and unintuitive to begin with and never got an update that addressed that. The number of times that I spent changing settings only to lose connection and start all over again... Please get it done, preferably with an app for iOS that allows to change settings via Bluetooth.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 pm

The Bluetooth app is done and was announced over a month ago.

Download and use PowerHouse Bike, and use the "Settings/Rider, Bike and Sensor Setup" screen to access changes via Bluetooth.
John Hamann

briarandbrine

Post by briarandbrine » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:15 pm

I sure wish I'd seen this before moving to Catalina today. :-/

On the plus side, I just read about Powerhouse and will try that out while I'm waiting for Isaac to be updated.

shmoesmith

Post by shmoesmith » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Velocomp wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 pm
The Bluetooth app is done and was announced over a month ago.

Download and use PowerHouse Bike, and use the "Settings/Rider, Bike and Sensor Setup" screen to access changes via Bluetooth.
This doesn't help to much for us powerpod lite users that are stuck with ant+ and usb cable connectivity only

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 am

Actually, you should be able to use the app with your PPL.
John Hamann