ATTENTION ISAAC/MAC USERS!!!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

ATTENTION ISAAC/MAC USERS!!!

Post by Velocomp » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:47 pm

In a few weeks, Apple will introduce OS X Catalina, which works only with 64 bit apps.

ISAAC/MAC WILL NOT RUN ON CATALINA.

We are working on a new 64 bit version of Isaac/Mac, but until we release it, you will have only three ways to continue to use Isaac/Mac:

1) Do not upgrade your Mac to Catalina :D

If you install Catalina on your Mac, then you can do either of the following:

2) Use a "Windows virtual machine" booted with Parallels or VM Fusion, and run Isaac/Windows.

3) Create a "bootable" external hard drive (such as a 16GB thumb drive) with OS X Mojave installed on it. Here is one way to get Mojave installed on your external drive:

https://www.imore.com/how-create-bootab ... ing-system

After booting your computer with the external drive, you'll download and install Isaac/Mac on the external hard drive; make sure to follow the Isaac/Mac installation instructions exactly!

Then, to use Isaac/Mac, you'll boot your computer with the external hard drive.

I know that 2) works; this is how I have used Isaac/Windows on my Mac.

I also successfully did 3). Creating an external hard drive with Mojave installed was particularly useful for me since there are a lot of 32 bit Mac apps on my computer. I put my other 32 bit apps on my Mojave external hard drive, so I can continue to use them too.
John Hamann

agud

Re: ATTENTION ISAAC/MAC USERS!!!

Post by agud » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:24 pm

tanks john, when do you think isaac 64 bits will be ready??

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:09 pm

agud wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:24 pm
tanks john, when do you think isaac 64 bits will be ready??
Don't know but will keep you updated.
John Hamann

bollar

Post by bollar » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for working on the Catalina update. I have access to Parallels, but it's extremely sluggish on my fairly new MacBook Pro.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:43 am

bollar wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:10 pm
Thanks for working on the Catalina update. I have access to Parallels, but it's extremely sluggish on my fairly new MacBook Pro.
You might want to think about an external SSD drive, with Mojave installed on it. I did this and it works really well--and it is fast.
John Hamann

gbussey

Post by gbussey » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Assuming I get my other problem with my PowerPod fixed (not charging - non-functional USB port), and I want to keep using Isaac - if I use option #3 - the external drive - is it possible to take my already installed Isaac and simply "drop" it onto the external drive and open it from that location, rather than reinstalling from scratch? I haven't installed Catalina yet so Isaac is still running on my Mac right now.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:20 am

gbussey wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:49 pm
Assuming I get my other problem with my PowerPod fixed (not charging - non-functional USB port), and I want to keep using Isaac - if I use option #3 - the external drive - is it possible to take my already installed Isaac and simply "drop" it onto the external drive and open it from that location, rather than reinstalling from scratch? I haven't installed Catalina yet so Isaac is still running on my Mac right now.
You will need to reinstall Isaac. Installation is a straightforward process, just make sure to follow the instructions!

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4774
John Hamann

lorduintah

Post by lorduintah » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 am

Alternate process could be creating a complete and bootable backup of your current system - which already has the drivers and Isaac.

Just use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! (or some alternatives) to create a complete backup of your current installation operating system - Mojave or earlier - then you can boot from that external thumb drive, or external SSD, or whatever else you have setup. The mentioned applications will create a setup that is bootable (blessed.)

Booting from the external can be done in several ways - System Preferences allows you to select a startup disk (assuming you have the external mounted.)
This lets you select in a dialog which system will be the boot drive.

Alternative way to select startup - while booting )powering up), hold down the OPTION key (with the external powered and attached via your choice in cables to your Mac.) The window will open with a selection of all the bootable sources that can be found.

Tom

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:00 am

lorduintah wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 am
Alternate process could be creating a complete and bootable backup of your current system - which already has the drivers and Isaac.

Just use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! (or some alternatives) to create a complete backup of your current installation operating system - Mojave or earlier - then you can boot from that external thumb drive, or external SSD, or whatever else you have setup. The mentioned applications will create a setup that is bootable (blessed.)

Booting from the external can be done in several ways - System Preferences allows you to select a startup disk (assuming you have the external mounted.)
This lets you select in a dialog which system will be the boot drive.

Alternative way to select startup - while booting )powering up), hold down the OPTION key (with the external powered and attached via your choice in cables to your Mac.) The window will open with a selection of all the bootable sources that can be found.

Tom
This definitely is another way to do it, though this approach will require a larger external drive (this method replicates your entire hard drive).
John Hamann

lorduintah

Post by lorduintah » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:25 am

Well - John - before upgrading to Catalina, everyone should have a full backup of the boot drive - in case things go wrong.

You do keep backups, right?

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Of course...using the time machine feature of the Mac. My understanding, though, is that this does not back up the OS.

Also, after backup those backups will be "seen" by Catalina OS.
John Hamann

Speedyg

Post by Speedyg » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Just want to add my voice in thanking you for working on the Catalina compatible Mac Isaac software. Isaac is really useful and many of us dedicated Ppod users have been using it for years especially to fine-tune and choose profiles on different bikes - a big plus of the Ppod system. So Big Thanks!!

Jim :)

Patspeedy

Post by Patspeedy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:03 am

Any idea/update on when 64bit software will be ready for Catalina ??

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:43 am

Patspeedy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:03 am
Any idea/update on when 64bit software will be ready for Catalina ??
Not at this time. This is not going to be easy for any Apple developer.
John Hamann