HARD TO HOLD WATAGE CLIMBING

JoseJ

HARD TO HOLD WATAGE CLIMBING

Post by JoseJ »

Hello...
On rolling or flat terrain y can hold may FTP as it should. But when climbing it becomes a hard task, it is not easy and I would say it is almost impossible, I have to lower my watts in order to keep going on hills.
Could please any body tell me why?. I weigh 78 kg, but in spite of my weigh I think I should be able to hold the wattage no matter flat terrain or mountains, aside from the climbing speed.
Thank you very much
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: HARD TO HOLD WATAGE CLIMBING

Post by Velocomp »

We agree, it should be easy.

Please post a ride file that shows your issue.
John Hamann
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

I have attached my last FTP test, and two of my last races, they are a kind of no team-surviving races, where you start with the peloton and have to get by to finish all the road on your own.
to me climbing at FTP feels like Vomax, I have to go down to Tempo wich feels like FTP,strange though it may seem, and at the end I can't even climb at tempo pace
It may be a task of training, I don't know,
Thank you
Attachments
iBike_14_06_2014_0837_138_kmGUDAR.ibr
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 454 times
iBike_07_06_2014_0838_163_kmJUGUETE.ibr
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 431 times
iBike_23_05_2014_1541_75_km TEST FTP.ibr
(823.9 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your 20 minute test was on the flats and was 314W FTP, with a cadence of 84.

Yet, on your 163KM ride, on the 1 hour hill climb your "hill FTP" was 185W, with a cadence of 71. Furthermore, in this 6 hour race your average watts on hill climbs declines throughout the race, so you are fatiguing...

It looks like you're gearing as low as you can, but even with that, on hills your cadence is dropping. Lower cadence may have something to do with your hill performance.

I think the issue here is one of training. You should check out "Training and Racing with a Power Meter", by Hunter Allen, to learn more about how to train for long races such as the ones you are doing.
John Hamann
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Ok...thank you John
JoseJ

Post by JoseJ »

Ok...thank you John