HR wrong @ ride start

2old2fool

HR wrong @ ride start

Post by 2old2fool »

What I thought was a spurious event, now seems to be a regular problem. When I start a ride after all sensors are found, the HR shown is wrong, perhaps half what it should be for the first 10-12 minutes. Then it ramps up to what it sh/be for the remainder of the ride.

Since the problem occurred both yesterday and today, I've attached both ride files for your review. BTW: I replaced the iBike battery this AM before the ride and the HR sensor battery tested 'good' with my battery tester.

The HR problem has happened on other rides too and needless to say it mucks up the numbers. In the 8/23 file, HR starts @ 50bpm (I'm not lying in bed ;) ) and goes down to 32 before ramping up.

Your thoughts? Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
iBike_2010_08_22_1419_32_Miles_cjl.csv
HR problem #1 example
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 326 times
iBike_2010_08_23_0921_31_Miles_cjl.csv
HR problem #2 example
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 298 times
lorduintah

Re: HR wrong @ ride start

Post by lorduintah »

You may not be getting good skin contact. You could use a little spit on both sides, some cream designed for this purpose, salt water and you could check the battery, too. It may take 10-15 minutes for your skin to get moist enough with salt to conduct and let your monitor work properly.

Tom
2old2fool

Re: HR wrong @ ride start

Post by 2old2fool »

Thanks, I should give that a try though I confess I thought I was done with creams and water ala Polar HRMs. Wondering if over time, the belt's gotten "gunked" up enough to cause the problem. I'll sponge it off and see what happens too.