RWS -- keep it plugged in

MultiRider

RWS -- keep it plugged in

Post by MultiRider »

I installed my new RWS and went for a ride. The plug fell out a couple times during the ride. I devised this relatively simple fix using safety wire and a rubber band. It is key to not make the rubber band too tight. If you make it too tight, it pulls down too much and pulls the plug out of the wind port. Since the plug stays in there pretty well on its own, it only needs a little help to stay secure.

Apologies for the poor focus, but hopefully you get the idea. A couple wraps of safety wire around the tube, connect to a rubber band around the iBike mount.
P1030231.JPG
P1030231.JPG (238.65 KiB) Viewed 5776 times
P1030229.JPG
P1030229.JPG (272.31 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
Jim Mason
C'dale SuperSix, Specialized Transition, Ibis Mojo, Orbea cx
turbomentor

Re: RWS -- keep it plugged in

Post by turbomentor »

Good solution!

I've not had any issues with the RWS coming unplugged. I think one key is to not put too much torque on the plastic tubing.

For a permanent installation, I'd bet that a drop of superglue will keep the RWS plugged in as well. You might try the following:
Plug the RWS in but NOT the tubing. Do a quick cal ride and check your numbers. If you are getting reasonable data then glue the RWS port in place. I don't know if the RWS opening is sufficient to "scoop" the wind without the scoop on the other end of the flex tubing.
jonesy792

Post by jonesy792 »

I'll have to try that, just got my rws and its fallen out on every ride which is a pain because it falls underneath my aerodrink

Post by 1112 »

I cut a small strip (3mm wide) of velcro ( non sticky loop) and placed it along the bottom of the hose/receiver. I taped it on with 3mm extending past the plug. I placed a small piece (sticky hook) on the bottom of the unit. When the receiver plugs in it can be secured with the strip which extends past the small velcro on the unit so you can grab it with your fingers to disengage to remove the unit.
MultiRider

Post by MultiRider »

Can you post a pic? I'm interested in seeing your solution.

In cases my pics aren't clear, the top one shows a couple wraps of safety wire around the RWS tube/plug. The safety wire is attached to a rubber band that goes around the wiresless mount. Thus, when the RWS plug is inserted into the iBike wind port, there is a little tension on it pulling it into the iBike.

Certainly having the tube come in straight and flat is critical. I propped mine up with a rolled up piece of bar tape on top of the aero bar so it comes towards the iBike from slightly-higher-than-perfect-alignment which counter-acts the rubberband pulling it a little lower.

I swap my iBike from my TT bike (RWS) to road bike (no RWS), so permanently gluing the RWS plug into the iBike wind port won't work for me.
Last edited by MultiRider on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Mason
C'dale SuperSix, Specialized Transition, Ibis Mojo, Orbea cx
JR_70

Post by JR_70 »

I know it isn't a perm fix - but when I first got my RWS - it started to pop out all the time as well - so I just used some electrical tape to hold it in place - after a few hours - the tubing conformed to the shape and now the plug stays intact no worries. The setup works really good on my TT bike...I am enjoying this new little onboard computer!