Attaching Magnet on Rear Disc for TT

Sarg

Attaching Magnet on Rear Disc for TT

Post by Sarg »

I have a rear disc wheel that I use in TTs and would like to know how I can attach a magnet to it so I can use my new Newton for TT races. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
lorduintah

Re: Attaching Magnet on Rear Disc for TT

Post by lorduintah »

I have a tri-spoke and used superglue on a small magnet - just have to position it correctly to pick up a signal.

You might choose to start with rubber cement - this easily is removed after you find the right place to mount the magnet.

Tom
Sarg

Post by Sarg »

Thanks for the ideas. I am hesitant about putting super glue on an expensive carbon fiber wheel but using rubber cement sounds like a good alternative. I have some rare earth magnets and I am hoping that they are going to allow more "wiggle room" as far as the placement of the receiver.

Thanks!

John
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

My tri-spoke is all carbon - the super glue does not leave any trace when removed - a very small amount of acetone will do the trick. A very small dot of glue will work. The rubber cement might not be a permanent with vibrations and so on - but certainly worth a try before resorting to something more aggressive.

The biggest concern I had was placing the magnet (also rare earth) and not having to get the decals involved - this is a Corima set and I paid big bucks, too.

Tom
TriBike

Post by TriBike »

I know a lot of people who just glue a small magnet directly onto the disc wheel. Also, taping one is an option too. Look for something like the cadence magnet, which is thin, so it will not protrude or interfere much with the disc wheel, which is how I do it.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Double sided tape will do the trick, much like the 3m tape that comes with the iBike which is used on the stem\bar mounts. There are thinner versions of these tapes as well that are just as strong, they are hard to be remove but can still be cleaned up completely without marking your wheel. I have a roll of this in my workshop and it's handy for many situations http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html
Sarg

Post by Sarg »

Thanks for all the great ideas! Your input is truly appreciated.

John
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

I cut a little square of double-sided carpet tape. This is SUPER sticky. And then I put a small strip of clear packing tape over the whole thing. This last a long time, is easily moveable/removeable, and leaves no trace.