RWS setup, cadence and speed sensor mounting

dgf

RWS setup, cadence and speed sensor mounting

Post by dgf »

I was setting up my Newton on my tri bike and planned to use the RWS setup. After mounting the unit on the stem it seems to me it will "see" the wind as well without the RWS as it will mounting the RWS in typical available locations. Thought I'd post a couple pics and see if folks think I'm off base in my thinking - thoughts?:

Also thought I'd post to see if anyone else had some difficulty getting the combined speed/cadence sensor unit to mount well on their TT/tri bikes. On my bike there is not much space between the spokes and chainstay so I was limited to only a small area fairly far back to mount the magnet where it wouldn't strike the chainstay - of course I had to mount the sensor back there as well. This moved the cadence sensor back as well giving me only a small length of crank arm right adjacent to the pedal spindle to mount the cadence magnet but looked like it would work - the problem I had with the cadence sensor was the distance between the crank arm and chainstay is too far for the magnet to work with sensor (that's even with mounting the sensor on the side of the chainstay vs underneath like on my road bike). I ended up fabricating a spacer to mount under the sensor against the chainstay to move the sensor close enough to the crank to pick up cadence. Seems to be working.
racerfern

Re: RWS setup, cadence and speed sensor mounting

Post by racerfern »

It "might" work. Basically, do a calibration ride, if you get wind scaling in the ".4 to .6" range OR in the "2.0 to 3.5" range then the Newton isn't reacting well to the wind it sees. With the RWS run out toward one of the aero bars or a nice setup 1/2 way down the head tube you should get wind scaling in the 1ish range.
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Do an experiment where you ride with your arms in the aero position. Note the mileage on your Newton.

Then, keep riding and move your arms away from the aero bars. Again, note mileage.

Look at your rides afterwards in the Isaac software.

If you see a notable difference in wind speed, then you should use an RWS.
John Hamann
dgf

Post by dgf »

Thanks for the suggestions. Did Cal Ride today, rode down on the aero bars, and if I have this figured out I think the wind scaling was 1.19..?? I'll attach the file.

Another quick question - when setting up Profiles, I did the initial Profile 1 for my road bike, riding predominantly on hoods. For Profile 2, my tri bike, I went back into Isaac set up and changed position to Time Trial then went to Edit Profiles, entered info for Tri Bike and sent to Ibike which I had set to Profile 2. Does that sound right?? When I go back to Profile 1 it will "know" I'm back on the hoods in a different aero profile...??
Attachments
Tri Bike Cal Ride.ibr
(25.69 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Either Johns' wording or mine yields the same answer and it seems you're ok without the RWS.
Thanks for the suggestions. Did Cal Ride today, rode down on the aero bars, and if I have this figured out I think the wind scaling was 1.19..?? I'll attach the file.
Actually, after "Check Calibration" it comes out to 1.266. Regardless, it's very close. Just confirm your height, weight, etc are correct before sending the profile to Profile2.
Another quick question - when setting up Profiles, I did the initial Profile 1 for my road bike, riding predominantly on hoods. For Profile 2, my tri bike, I went back into Isaac set up and changed position to Time Trial then went to Edit Profiles, entered info for Tri Bike and sent to Ibike which I had set to Profile 2. Does that sound right?? When I go back to Profile 1 it will "know" I'm back on the hoods in a different aero profile...??
That is correct, everything will switch over and Newton will know you're on Profile 1 which is your hoods profile.
Fernando