RWS on Road bike and in Cross winds

jvandyk

RWS on Road bike and in Cross winds

Post by jvandyk »

I am using the iPro on my road bike (no aero bars) and the wireless stem mount. I see that the RWS is supposed to help lower the wind scaling factor for handlebar mounted units.

How dramatic an effect does the RWS offer compared to without it?

Is there a noticeable "improvement" on stem mounted units when using the RWS? Would using just the plug in piece and no tubing benefit this in anyway?

In Calgary we have quite variable winds here - just yesterday I rode in gusting winds using both an SRM amateur and iPro. After having tweaked the iPro profile with Boyd using my SRM and iBike files I have found the units play well together for the most part and provide decent power values. However, when I get the strong crosswinds I find the iPro under reports power compared to the SRM and my perceived effort on the bike while overcoming the crosswinds.

Would the RWS aid in this department at all?

Would you have to move the end of the tube to face into the crosswind for better wind readings?

How about using a shorter tube or just the insertable plastic adapter from the RWS kit or is the tube essential to the overall functioning of the RWS?

Is there something written in more detail regarding how the RWS and iBike measures wind speed or in this case air pressure??

Thanks.

Jack
racerfern

Re: RWS on Road bike and in Cross winds

Post by racerfern »

Assuming you're using a Gen 3 with the latest FW what is your wind scaling number now?
Fernando
jvandyk

Post by jvandyk »

Yes Gen III.

My current wind scaling used in the iPro is 0.817. A more recent wind scaling number is .0739. A third wind scaling number I have is 0.842.

I have also had a wind scaling number of 1.186 when I used the Gen II.

Jack
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

That's a very good number. I have mine as far forward on the stem as possible and my wind scaling is .675. If you feel the wind is under reported based on your "feel" of what the wind is then you could up the wind scaling to .842 but remember to raise the aero number also so you keep the same CdA you had. If you raise your wind scaling without changing anything else you will lower your CdA number and show a lower power output.
Fernando