New Wheelset

dabaracus

New Wheelset

Post by dabaracus »

I have just purchased a new wheelset and have switched to 700x25, and i have not had great experience calibrating my GEN III. I believe that the power is reading high on my current wheelset, comparing with my jetblack power trainer and the spin bikes at the gym. The power reading that i get on the road are high compared the same RPE on the trainer and spin bikes.

I am wondering would i get a better calibration over the standard distance, or if i did say a 30 - 40 km out and back ride? I was going to do a number of coast downs too, what would be the best number to do?

I am really trying to get a good calibration so i can get my training under control this year, my training partners are 10 years my junior and they are starting to get to the point that they are able to punish me now. We have a number of time trial and 100+km rides that have many hundreds of meters of climbing...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: New Wheelset

Post by Velocomp »

Please post an out-and-back ride file and we will take a look.

The problem with really long O&B rides is that wind conditions can change, thus invalidating the results.
John Hamann
dabaracus

Re: New Wheelset

Post by dabaracus »

This is the last ride i have done on my road bike
Attachments
iBike_11_11_2012_0807_29_km.ibr
(59.47 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Correcting wrong calibration

Post by Velocomp »

Here's what I did:

1) I assumed you did a good wind calibration before you started your ride

2) I opened your ride file

3) I used the Analyze/Return to Original Download command to get to the data you had during your ride

4) Blue "flames" of wind were everywhere, indicating that your calibration was wrong. HIgh wind speeds would cause watts to be high

5) I used the Analyze/Check Calibration command. This fixes your profile

6) Your watts came down to a reasonable level.

Your corrected profile is attached. Load it into your iBike and all should be well.
Attachments
Before calibration
Before calibration
Bad Cal.png (86.23 KiB) Viewed 12088 times
After calibration
After calibration
Post cal.png (85.22 KiB) Viewed 12089 times
Dabaracus.ibp
corrected profile
(555 Bytes) Downloaded 585 times
John Hamann
dabaracus