Wrong Distance? This is WAYYY off.

dbrouse

Wrong Distance? This is WAYYY off.

Post by dbrouse »

I just dusted off my Gen III iBike Pro after an 18 month hiatus due to the birth of our twin daughters...did a short ride today over a known route and the distance is wrong. It only registered ~11 miles when the route is about 21 mile (my Garmin 500 shows 21.04 mi) while the iBike shows 60976.67 ft (why is it displaying feet???)

All the batteries are new. I thought I did a tilt and wind calibration prior to riding...

I noticed that the speed was very low throughout the ride.

I've attached the file...

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
iBike_02_01_2012_1120_11_Miles_GunstonManor.csv
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
racerfern

Re: Wrong Distance? This is WAYYY off.

Post by racerfern »

You've got a few issues:
1) Somehow even though you did a quick start you have a negative Crr. That can't be. Double check your startup settings.
2) Double check your wind scaling. For what appears to be an out/back you've got way too much wind.
3) This might be the culprit, you have a magnet for speed pickup that is not hitting on each revolution. Or... you have a speed sensor that is not broadcasting correctly. I say this because your speed signal is extremely erratic yet your cad and hr are good.

IIWY I would do a hard reset, along with a fast start procedure including a cal ride to set your wind scaling. I have a feeling it's quite a bit lower than you currently have it set.

Most importantly, congratulations for doing a fast start to a family and also for getting back on the bike.
Fernando
dbrouse

Post by dbrouse »

I definitely NEEDED to get back on the bike.

I did a hard reset and the fast start procedure and what I thought was a calibration ride but it never told me to turn around. I'm not sure if it matters...either way I did a 4.18 mile out and back ride. I've attached that file here. The speed/distance numbers matched up to my Garmin 500 although I still don't understand why my distance is being shown in feet (22077.00) instead of miles in the iBike software.
capture 2012-02-02 at 4.08.42 PM.jpg
capture 2012-02-02 at 4.08.42 PM.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 9847 times
Thanks for the feedback....it's greatly appreciated!

Delane
Attachments
iBike_02_03_2012_1455_4_Miles_CalibrationRide.csv
(274.33 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your speed sensor readings are very erratic. This is why distance is so weird. Make sure your magnet is properly positioned and your speed sensor has a new battery in it.

Distance reported (22777 feet) may happen because of the corrupted speed signal.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 5.17.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 5.17.27 PM.png (15.06 KiB) Viewed 9833 times
John Hamann
dbrouse

Post by dbrouse »

Ok, I'll drop in a new battery into my GSC10 and see if it improves. I'll post another file from my next ride.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

You can tell if the GSC-10 is working properly - if you spin the wheel in a darkened room after pressing the reset button on the sensor (which doubles as the led -- the little "white" button on the side) ---- If the magnet fires off the sensor every time you get a revolution, the LED will flash. (Same for the Crank (and cadence) but this will be green, not red.)

If you don't see the flash, you may have to move the sensor arm or the magnet to get each closer to the other.

I find sometime - especially on a Trek -- that the sensor can rotate a bit on the chainstay where you mount the sensor.

FWIW --

Tom
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Quick thought, there is nothing wrong with the body of GSC sensor or the battery, otherwise the cadence signal would also be erratic.

I'm putting my money on the magnet alignment OR the arm that picks up the speed signal. Inside that arm are two tiny wires that transmit to the body of the GSC. Those may have been compromised.

Unfortunately if the arm or those small wires are damaged you'll have to replace the sensor anyways.
Fernando
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

racerfern wrote:I'm putting my money on the magnet alignment OR the arm that picks up the speed signal. Inside that arm are two tiny wires that transmit to the body of the GSC. Those may have been compromised.
In addition, make sure there is not a 2nd magnet on the wheel that is close enough to trip the speed sensor.
dbrouse

Post by dbrouse »

I forgot to change the battery today and other weird stuff is happening. Having said that, why would my Garmnd Edge 500 record the same ride perfectly and not the iBike?
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Keep adding details, they help trouble shoot. If the Garmin is giving good readings, then the hunt should go to all things iBike.

If the Garmin is picking up the signals correctly, then the issue could be the location of the iBike in relation to the sensor. Does the Garmin have "better" line of sight to the GSC10? That is your body is not blocking the path as much for the Garmin, or it is closer?

Other thoughts - has the iBike been soaked in the rain - this would include the wireless mount? Are you sure you get a paired signal from the iBike? How about the HR strap - if you use one?

I ask the last questions because I am not opening up any ride files to inspect.

What is the reading on the iBike for battery voltage?

Tom
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

We're certainly crossing out possibilities now, aren't we?

Why not do a hard reset (again), then take a known good profile from the iBike software and send it to the iBike. Even if the profile doesn't match your current conditions, I think the goal is to get the iBike back on sound footing.

Then if you don't get better results you may have to look at a bad wireless sensor or iBike.

Also re-scan for wireless ids.
Fernando
dbrouse

Post by dbrouse »

Fernando...I'll do that tomorrow and report back here. I'm definitely frustrated.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

dbrouse wrote:I forgot to change the battery today and other weird stuff is happening. Having said that, why would my Garmnd Edge 500 record the same ride perfectly and not the iBike?
Don't forget that your Garmin has GPS speed measurement capability. It is entirely possible that you're seeing GPS speed on your Garmin, not sensor speed.
John Hamann
KenS

Post by KenS »

Indeed my Garmin 705 manual says it only uses the sensor if there is no GPS signal. I assume the 500 is the same.
It's quite possible to get a good cadence reading but no speed if the GSC-10 is not located properly. I occasionally bump mine causing it to lose speed reading but cadence remains fine.I've also had it gradually slide up the chainstay a bit till it could not sense the wheel magnet. It only needs to be a few mm out to stop working. It's really confusing because the Garmin seems to say everything is right but you get weird wind readings
-- Ken