Coast Down - default settings

longinthetooth

Coast Down - default settings

Post by longinthetooth »

Having a lot of fun setting iBike up!!

Living on the coast, finding a wind free day on an ideal road has taken a while to achieve, but the practice on the less suitable days, meant that when the opportuntiy to do the real run, it was very easy!

Cleared the memory, did the Cal Ride followed by a dozen Coast Downs.
Downloaded into the PC, all went well. I don't have another WORK/Watts rated device so want iBike to supply both the Aero and frictional drag, CDA and Crr respectively.

So I left the frictional drag at the default setting of 0.0055. I don't know enough to alter this, and couldn't find any information that would lead me to alter this. I can imagine that new smooth tarmac would have a very diffferent Crr to say rough granite chips - typical of country roads, and to the finer chips of metro roads??

I am assuming my other wheels/Tyres will have a different setting, but no way to detemine?
longinthetooth

Re: Coast Down - default settings

Post by longinthetooth »

I should have phrased my previous post as a question:-

Are there different frictional settings for different road surfaces? What conditions does the default 0.0055 setting model? Eg is this for the smoothest tarmac, with perfect tyres, on a deep rim wheel, with ceramic bearings?
Russ

Post by Russ »

Hi longinthetooth,

Try this series of posts:

http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... rr+surface

Regards,
Russ
longinthetooth

Post by longinthetooth »

Thanks Russ.

The link made some sense.

I have Conti 4000 Chilli tyres on Velocity wheels, riding on the hoods. Switching from Crr Fixed at 0055, to 'adjusted' altered the CDA and Crr settings to more reasonable figures of .349 and .37 respectively.

Thanks