Wrong speed shown on display

veloman

Wrong speed shown on display

Post by veloman »

I recently got a new speed sensor due to water getting into the old one. On two occasions since installing the new sensor, I've gone on rides where the max & average speed was insanely high on the head unit display. For example today I averaged 56.2 mph with a max 60.5 mph and covered 126 miles in 2:14 . . . soooo wish these numbers were true. During the ride I didn't notice any unusually high speed numbers on the display, but then again I wasn't exactly watching it all the time. Yet when I download the data the correct numbers show up in iBikeMac (18 mph ave, 48.4 mph, 40.32 miles, 2:14 . . . don't laugh). I'm running firmware 4.20 on my iAero Gen III and using iBikeMac 4.0.4.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

-craig
nigeld

Re: Wrong speed shown on display

Post by nigeld »

Make sure it's not picking up the cadence magnet.
veloman

Post by veloman »

I've mounted the speed sensor the exact way I had it before when I had no such issues. Also, if it was picking up the cadence magnet, it would be reading high velocities all the time. To get an average of 56.2 it would have to constantly be reading in the 50's, but the displayed speed was correct. Just the ave and max that were screwy. Hence my confusion.

-craig
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a ride file.
John Hamann
veloman

Post by veloman »

Here ya go John. Thanks for your time.

-craig
Attachments
iBike_06_23_2010_1629_126_Miles.csv
(366.76 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

Every once in a while I have noticed where something will happen on the display to where you have a blip of very fast speed. For example, I'll be 20 miles into a ride and look down to see a max speed of 75 and my distance being 85 miles. I think what may be happening is somewhere in there a section of very fast speed gets written into the averaging section on the iBike display but doesn't actually get recorded into the ride file. My files have been like yours, the information on the display was different than the download. This has only happened a few times over the course of me riding an iBike. I am purely speculating, but it might be caused by some sort of outside interference like a TV tower or high tension lines.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

There is a speed spike in your ride file at mile 3.6 that is clearly incorrect. This is probably where your iBike got into internal trouble with its counting.

We will check in to this.
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

You can try moving the magnet very slightly in any direction. It's possible with just the right spot to get two hits from a magnet as both sides of the field pass the sensor. Slide it up or down the spoke slightly or move the sensor ever so slightly further from the magnet. It's a solution that has worked for others.
Fernando