Abort Auto Wind

lorduintah

Abort Auto Wind

Post by lorduintah »

I am recently getting abrt auto wind.

Turn On the iBike GenIII-Pro, Battery Test is OK, goes into auto wind and very near the end the screen displays ABRT WIND,

This happens plugged into the wireless mount - in my bedroom (no WIND) or outside when covering the scoop. This also happens if the iBike is just on my desk and I start it up.

All batteries are fresh - 3.28V just before installing. I have also hard reset every sensor, mount and the computer.

This "seems" to have started with FW 4.19.

Tom
NCH1

Re: Abort Auto Wind

Post by NCH1 »

G'day Tom,

I too have noticed this since the firmware update.

Nik
R Mc

Post by R Mc »

ditto.

I have noticed that it happens most often if the unit picks up a spd or cad sensor while the auto-cal is in process.

(Or, if it's on your desk, generating a wireless fail--although that's just a guess because I have not seen that one with my unit).

If I start up the unit before moving the rear wheel or crank-arm, I tend not to get the abrt wind cal.
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

Thanks, I might give that a try. However, it's a bit tricky not activating the Garmin SPCD when situating the bike in the turbo.

Nik
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

The auto wind is definitely more sensitive now. If you are triggering the accelerometer or if there is wind entering the unit then you'll get an abort wind. You can always go into the setup menu and perform the wind Cal the normal way.

The abort was triggered easier because it was possible to accidentally ride and have the auto wind do a wind offset and this would give bad wind readings for the whole ride.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ah, the advantages of a forum!

A VERY MINOR bug was introduced in 419 that could cause an intermittent and occasional ABRT WIND message.

We've already got beta FW 420 in testing that gets rid of this problem. As soon as we've confirmed that it works we will upload it.

Sorry for the inconvenience but thanks for your fast reporting.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

John -

Good news.

While looking at this, it does seem that the Auto Wind does conflict with the pairing process to some degree. I am not sure how I would propose to improve the process as sensors are detected and updates appear on the screen about heart, spd/cad, pout/pin status, if the auto wind restarts, you could conceivably get stuck in an infinite loop. It didn't help that my spd/cad battery was running low and I had to swap in another, but this was also causing my heart rate monitor to fail pairing - even though the Garmin 705 found the HRM.

I also note that I almost always go to cal wind after the auto wind and still find it necessary to recal. There usually is a fair offset requiring more effort to persuade the meter to zero out.

After fixing the spd/cad battery issue - the pairing of that starts right up - but - heart off shows up then wls fail. How can the wls fail right after finding the spd/cad from the Garmin as well as having a HRM in 2 feet of the wireless mount and the Garmin finding that too? I think more than the ABRT Wind was messed up. They may be from the same changes in the FW, though.

PostScript - FW 4.20 seems to fix the abrt auto wind flag. The wls fail was cleared up by changing the wireless mount battery - even though the OC voltage on the one in the mount reads 3.02V - and I also had tried a hard reset on both the iBike and mount before replacing the battery. Something was out of sync, I guess.

Tom