No speed data (not the usual newbie question)

Norm

No speed data (not the usual newbie question)

Post by Norm »

I have a friend (yeah, that's how it always starts...) who was having trouble getting speed data from her unit. We tried everything, checked the magnet, hard reset all the components twice, repaired a zillion times, always got the same result: Speed sensor paired, but iBike didn't report speed data.

So we tried a known good sensor and got the same result: speed sensor paired, but iBike didn't report speed data.

Then we tried my iAero on her wireless mount. Speed paired and the iAero worked perfectly. Mounted her iBike -- still no speed data.

Then, per a tech's suggestion, she tried out her rig using profile 2 instead of profile 1. Guess what? It worked like a champ.

So, does anyone out there have any ideas why speed data would be reported in profile 2 but not in profile 1. Note: she did not send a profile to the iBike's profile 2.

It seems like something must be amiss in the profile stored in 1. She's coming by tomorrow so I'll be able to download her profile and post it. In the mean time, are there any good guesses out there?
racerfern

Re: No speed data (not the usual newbie question)

Post by racerfern »

Is tire circumference set to zero or some ridiculously small number, accidentally?
Fernando
Norm

Post by Norm »

racerfern wrote:Is tire circumference set to zero or some ridiculously small number, accidentally?
Oh, good thinking Fernando. Thanks!
I'll check when i see her tomorrow. I haven't seen her since she figured out that profile 2 works.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Mystery solved. Her tire circumference was set to zero in profile 1. On the plus side, her Crr was extremely low. :)

She set it to 2096 (the default) and now profile 1 works. Thanks again Fernando.
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

G'day

No speed data is also the issue I'm having. I have just purchased an Isport GT to work along side my Garmin Edge 705, and I receive HR and rpm in the bottom right hand corner of the screen (from the SPCD) but not speed. As a result, I cannot do the calibration ride so I can use the unit. I have followed the set up procedures for profile 1 and profile 2 to the letter (including correct wheel circumference), and I have also installed a new battery on the GSC10, but to no avail. I have been in contact with Aaron Timmer who kindly provided me with the above instructions to try and get the unit working, and I'm awaiting (hopefully) further procedures to try. Does anybody here, in my Time zone, have any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thanks

NCH
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Do you have the speed sensor aligned with the wheel magnet? The gap should be set for a few millimeters from the sensor head to the magnet on the wheel. Your 705 can report speed - if you use the GPS alone as it can get the speed without the wheel magnet, but the iBike should get the SPD/CAD and also have the wheel circumference stored. The RPM is just for cadence and since you are getting values, the battery should be OK in the sensor module.

There is a slot in the sensor arm of the 705 speed sensor that should align with the magnet as it passes by each revolution. If the gap is too far, it will not activate. You can loosen the screw on the arm and rotate the arm closer to the wheel to narrow the gap to the wheel magnet.

You should be able to scan for the signals - go into setup and flip through the choices to SCAN. Set the value to YES and the try again after you make any needed adjustments.

Tom
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

Hi Tom,

I have made the necessary adjustment to the arm of the GSC10 to situate it approx 1mm from the wheel magnet, however there is still no speed data displayed, despite a scan procedure revealing that the Garmin SPCD and HRM is found. As before, only rpm is shown.

Nik
NCH1

Post by NCH1 »

G'day Tom,

Upon reading through your post again, I thought I would check the actual alignment of the sensor slot on the arm of the GSC10 with the magnet- which I assumed was accurately situated with the sensor-given the Edge's readings from it (and failing to recall the Edge doesn't need the sensor to determine speed). However, the sensor slot was situated about 1mm to the right of the magnet. It would appear the ibike requires a totally accurate alignment of the slot.

Thank you very much for your help, mate.

Nik
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Nik -

Good to hear. The 705 might be just as sensitive - if you were not running off the GPS. The iBike is fussy, however. I got fooled the first time I ran in to a similar issue - back before the paring process was cleaned up by Velocompl. I have replaced a few batteries in the GSC10 that were probably alignment issues and not weak batteries. Just remember that you may still need to reset the sensor some day - by flipping the battery over and putting it back into the socket for a brief time and then putting it back in in the proper +/- orientation.

Tom