Water getting under display screen!

wgc3rd

Water getting under display screen!

Post by wgc3rd »

HELP! On a four hour ride this morning, water was splashing from my aerobottle (not pouring, but splashing). The water seeped under the display screen and the unit shut off!! I didn't worry about the splashing, since the unit is said to be rain resistant, but it blanked after only 30 minutes of riding. Does my warranty cover this? Am I wrong in thinking a little water should not be a problem? I am talking teaspoons, not gallons.
lorduintah

Re: Water getting under display screen!

Post by lorduintah »

Take the battery out, let it dry out for 24 hours (or more) with the battery compartment open - do not use heat (although you can set it a 10-15 inches away from a 60 Watt light bulb - or you can use the cool setting of a hair dryer and direct the air stream into the battery compartment. If it is a wireless unit - do the same for it - take the battery out and leave open to dry.

When the unit is dry, you will need to connect it back onto you computer to update the date/time. There should be no other problems.

Suggest you look into a Camelback water bottle - the valves don't leak.

Tom
JR_70

Post by JR_70 »

Just to let you know that I think John and company have come up with some ideas / solutions to the water issue...I too was having the same problem - as were a few others I think...and I was also having problems with water (sweat) getting in between the unit and the mount - and have had to jimmy my own solution for that - but you might want to contact John about Velocomp's solution to the problem - or else Boyd has suggested that you could put some clear packing tape on the face of the unit - to stop the water from entering at the base of the display...

Check out this thread...

http://ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1145

Cheers!

JR

PS - Not to worry - it will dry out and you will be able to use it again once it is completely dry...
wgc3rd

Post by wgc3rd »

Thanks for the link to the other thread. It appears as though the water (and sweat) is getting in under the main screen, so I will try the clear tape method. However, it has been over 24 hours with the battery out and placed in a cool, dry place, and the unit has not come back completely yet. The LCD screen has some information on it, but it is still unreadable. Should I be concerned? I really am depending on this for my Ironman training!
iodaniell

Post by iodaniell »

Some of the display segment signal lines are probably shorted out with sugar and/or salt bridges.

I'd contact Velocomp for a replacement.
NoRacer's Bones in Motion (BiM) blog
Track me "live" - Username: NoRacer / Password: track.NoRacer
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NoRacer

2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,239 miles
2006 mileage = 10,034 miles; 2007 mileage = 11,337 miles; 2008 mileage = 11,986 miles;