Zero Length File error

Norm

Zero Length File error

Post by Norm »

My iBike problems are becoming more and more rare. But as usual, Murphy's law applies and when they do occur it's when I've just had a great ride and I'm anxious to check out the results.

My iAero (3.09 firmware) was working fine on the main efforts of tonight's ride. But on the way home, when I pressed the center button to check out my mileage and time, the unit's display freaked out and began displaying random symbols, then went into setup mode. I took it out of setup mode and it found all the sensors and began recording normally again, but starting from mile 0.

When I got home, I fired up iBike 3 for Mac and went straight to the download window. I found the following:
1) a 0 mile ride dated 4/21 from when I hit reset before my ride
2) a "Zero Length File"
3) another "Zero Length File"
4) a 0 mile ride dated 3/9 at 00:00
5) a 2 mile ride dated 3/9 at 00:00
6) iBike 3 reported that memory was 22% used.

Obviously there was a major unit crash for some reason and it took out my ride file and reset the month, day, and time. My questions are:
A) What exactly happened,
B) Why did it happen,
C) How can I prevent it in the future,
D) Is there any was I can download the unit's memory in total to try to recover the data?

I've been meticulous about tracking my rides in TP WKO+ and I'm willing to put in some extra effort to salvage this ride. Yea, I'm a data geek and somewhat sentimental besides: It was my first Nitro ride of the season and I think I'm ahead of the game from last year. Would love to have a data point for comparison.

Help!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Zero Length File error

Post by Velocomp »

We will investigate this.
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

A couple of suggestions/thoughtss:

Did you try downloading the rides? Even though they say 0 length the data may still be there. I would suggest using the "Download and save all rides" button. It's worth a try if you haven't done it

Try flipping the battery after you try the above. That will do a complete reset but not wipe out your data. Then I would try the procedure above.

If those two efforts fail, you'll need help beyond what I can offer. Keep us posted.
Fernando
Norm

Post by Norm »

Thanks Fernando. I was able to recover most of the data. Here's what I did:

1) Performed a hard reset by flipping the iAero battery.
2) Connected the iAero to my MacBook
3) Reset the time/date using the iBike 3 software
4) Downloaded the rides using the "Download and save all rides" button.

What I found was that it downloaded 3 files: files (1), (4), and (5) from above. However, I assume that all the data from the two "Zero Length Files" was captured in file (1) because the milage reported in the ride file is close to what was expected.

In the first file, I found that somewhere in the last mile of that file things started going very badly: slope climbed to 27.3%, which drove power to 1869 watts (I wish). After that, all hell broke loose and the unit crashed and restarted in the set up screen, apparently wiping out some settings. The month / day were changed to 3 / 9, the time was changed to 00:00, starting elevation went to 0 making my whole ride below sea level (I had previously set it to 480), and the ride file thinks I had a Pin on the ride (I had removed my PT wheel and had set Pin to none). There may be other differences I haven't yet discovered.

I haven't yet erased the iAero memory; someone please speak up if it's needed for debugging. I have also have the unaltered ride files I was able to download if anyone wants to take a look.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

What you describe could be due to poor battery voltage. Check the battery condition. Also check the black battery cover on the unit. If it goes on and off with very little or almost no effort then the battery may have lost contact momentarily. That would explain losing the date, time, etc. An iBike that loses the date goes back to the date it was manufactured (IIRC) and the time goes back to 00:00.

Anyways if the black cover seems loose contact Aaron at Velocomp. I believe there is a solution for the loose cover, IF it's actually loose fitting.
Fernando
Norm

Post by Norm »

Negative on the battery problem. Juice was good both pre and post ride. The battery cover is tight. I acquired the unit last November, so it doesn't make sense to me that the date reset to 3/9. Anyways, it appears to be working properly now.
markrhill

Post by markrhill »

Had this error yesterday and found another source: I had plugged the iBike into a USB hub, vs. directly into USB port on my computer. Tried all the other suggestions, no luck.

When I plugged directly into the computer, files appeared no problem.

Recommend that you add a warning in the std docs recommending that people plug in directly into the computer, and avoid using USB hubs.
mttvrtn

Post by mttvrtn »

I've received this error on 2 successive rides. Both times I've reset the unit by inverting the battery (the battery is good BTW). Today I rode for a min, removed the iBike, attached the USB cable, checked to see whether the software could see the ride (it could), remounted the iBike and rode. 4 Zero Length File errors again. Would love to resolve ASAP as I've now lost 100+ miles of data and am racing on Sat.

Matt
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Matt,

The ride data should still be there even though you're showing zero length. Try clicking the download and save all button. If this is on a laptop or a USB hub read the other postings in this thread or try a different USB port. Regardless, your file data should all be there since the iBike doesn't know there is a problem upon download.
Fernando
mttvrtn

Post by mttvrtn »

Thanks, Fernando.

I rebooted my laptop and tried another port and was able to DL the data (the other buttons you mentioned were clickable, but didn't cause any response). Wish I'd posted the problem y'day and I wouldn't have lost my other data...

Matt
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Some HUBS are powered while others are not. Ones that do have power will provide a bit more voltage to the iBike - indicative of a marginal battery. You can see differences if you toggle to the battery display and look at the voltage of the iBike as a standalone - not connected to anything, the wireless mount added will usually add some as will a powered hub or directly into a USB port.

Although the "dead battery" voltage was reduced in one of the most recent firmware releases for the startup check, I expect individual iBikes to vary in contact resistance to a degree as well as minimum operating voltage on the internal processor. This will lead to some systems needing more power than others by some level of tens of millivolts.

Tom
RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior »

I would like to ask a silly question in this regard

Just received my PowerPod Lite yesterday and did a final calibration ride today.
Now opening the PP in Isaac it says that it doesn't find any ride files:

clicking on 'Show Download Window' shows me 3x Zero Length File:

Can't I look into the calibration rides?

PP is charged, original USB cable is used and USB Port is powered
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Try a new Download Ride. Sometimes Isaac "burps"
John Hamann
RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:04 pm Try a new Download Ride. Sometimes Isaac "burps"
This has been solved with erasing the memory.