new purchase help

Roubaixalltheway

new purchase help

Post by Roubaixalltheway »

I'm a newbie and looking to purchase an ibike computer. I have had Polars but give up on getting stable power info. I'd like to know what the iAero gets you vs. the iPro Gen III and is it worth the extra cost. Also, where is the best place to buy the computer? Thanks!!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: new purchase help

Post by Velocomp »

The iAero has the following standard features over and above the iPro:

1) complete wireless setup is standard (wireless is a $269 option with the iPro)

2) indoor trainer is now standard ($39 option with the iPro)

3) ability to see aerodynamic drag (CdA) whenever you're not pedaling

4) ability to use an (OPTIONAL, NOT INCLUDED) wireless direct force power meter (DFPM) to see CdA even when pedaling

5) with an optional DFPM, the ability to see Time Advantage, the amount of time you gain or lose due to changes in riding position

The iAero is a $100 premium over the wireless iPro.

You can order from the iBike Store (www.ibikesports.com) or have your dealer order it and install it for you.
John Hamann
Roubaixalltheway

I received my new iPro wireless and it is an incredible unit! I'm very impressed.

A few items of note.

First, the batteries supplied with the units were almost dead. I had to replace two of them to get the wireless to connect after several attempts with the dreaded wireless fail message. The other two are ok, but low at 2.8 volts. I guess I will need to change them soon too.

Second, I did not receive a cadence magnet with the kit.

Lastly, after doing a ride and downloading the data, the unit does not seem to go to sleep. It did before I got all the calibrations in and ride data which I have since uploaded and deleted.

(One more shameless plug for HR as a % of max :)

George
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

To put the unit to sleep - go to the set up and battery display - press the center button - this should shut the system off.

Tom
bex
Location: 'twixt Sylvan Lake and Eckville in Alberta, born in Manchester England. Always an Englishman

Post by bex »

Hi there
I read on another forum that these batteries can be heavily discharged if touched by hand.
I do not know if that is true or not but we had one in a polar 725x that was low, took it out, put it back in again and there was nothing.
Did the same with my Ibike, replaced the battery in my Ibike (again, by hand) and got a low reading for the battery.
Since then we have not touched the batteries, used a latex glove, no problems, full charge.
It would be good to know if this is correct or we just had some good (and bad) batteries, by coincidence.
Another point to remember, if they are cold they will read low (apparently), warm them up a little, might make a difference

Stephen
Roubaixalltheway

Thanks Tom, that did the trick. However, I thought the device would just go to sleep after several minutes of non-use.

These coin batteries have me a little concerned. I have a MS-150 charity ride this weekend and worry one could die during the 6 ride on Saturday or 5 hours on Sunday.

Did everybody get a cadence magnet with their kits?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I only buy batteries from Velocomp because they're at a great price. I handle them all the time and have never had one discharge because of handling. If you must buy batteries at a store don't go to Radio Shack. I suggest Duracell. A new battery from Velocomp will start at about 3.1v. As long as you start with a fresh battery a full day of riding is a piece of cake (don't forget to record at 5 second interval). You'll probably want a second battery for the next day if the weather is very cool.
Fernando
Roubaixalltheway

Wow, they do have a great price on batteries! I got mine at a local drug store and paid over $3/each. Looks like I need to stock up from Velocomp.

Weather is supposed to be 75/60, but rain is forecasted for Saturday and a headwind for Sunday, ouch!
R Mc

Post by R Mc »

You should be fine. Stick with the 1-second record interval though--it doesn't really affect battery life, and gives you much better data.

(I've done 4.5 to 5 hour rides using the ibike in temps ranging from the 50s to the 100s without having to change batteries. Under 50 the voltage can drop in a couple of hours. Of course, if you like thinking that you're turning 3900 watts, it's kind of fun having a dying battery!)
Roubaixalltheway

I kind of have a dilemma, the ride is 6 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday. If it goes longer (head wind) does the iBike switch from the 1 sec recording interval to 5 sec as it fills up, or do I have to do that during the ride on Sunday if it is taking longer?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Sorry, but I have to disagree with "R Mc" on this one. Five second recording will yield accurate results just not the same resolution. When an iBike records in 5 seconds it still samples every second then writes the average of those numbers every fifth second. It's not like you're doing 30 second sprints and want or need extreme accuracy.
Fernando
LouisB

Post by LouisB »

racerfern wrote:Sorry, but I have to disagree with "R Mc" on this one. Five second recording will yield accurate results just not the same resolution. When an iBike records in 5 seconds it still samples every second then writes the average of those numbers every fifth second. It's not like you're doing 30 second sprints and want or need extreme accuracy.
Are you sure ? Can Velocomp confirm that ? Usualy, every other power metrer or HRM does downsampling (take one, don't record the four other). My guest: the power calculate by the iBike is an average of the five seconds but all the other recorded data (including the DFPM power) are downsample. For example, the iBike record only 1/5 of the data send by a PT when five second recording is choose. But I would like a confirmation about that. Does the iBike average or downsample data at five second recording?
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

I'm pretty confident about the five second recording being an average of the 1 second data collection.

However, that's not the real issue here. If the rider in question runs out of memory he will have a bigger problem that of lost data or taking a chance having to change batteries or switch recording modes. There is no way that 1 second data resolution can be useful for a 10 hour ride. At that point you're looking to conserve power and not burn yourself up too early. The only numbers that will matter are averages.
Fernando
LouisB

Post by LouisB »

I agree with you, that not a real issue. It's just that, in theory, downsample data with not be the same as average data. But, in reality, this will be insignificant.

And if the data are, in fact, average and not downsample, I would say that there is NO issue at ALL. Since, I agree with you, "Five second recording will yield accurate results just not the same resolution".

So my questioning is, if the iBike average data at 5sec recording, I don't see any good reason to keep recording MY data at 1sec (except maybe an irrationnal "Why not!" or an obsessive desire for resolution) even for shorter ride .

Conclusion: I wish you're right about the 5sec averaging. And even if you were wrong about it... It's really not a big deal. ;)
dbrouse

Post by dbrouse »

Was the question about 1 sec or 5 sec average ever answered with certainty?