iAero feature request

turbomentor

iAero feature request

Post by turbomentor »

I'm not sure of what all math goes into getting this data, but on the Ergomo, you can get real time NP, IF and TSS data. Really good stuff to have and something that triathletes really could use. I would love to see a way to get these data fields added to the iBike (well, maybe just the iAero?) in a future upgrade.

Bet it would make a nice selling point to the tri crowd! :)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: iAero feature request

Post by Velocomp »

We could possibly add these to the Totals screen menus; what do you think?
John Hamann
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

What are you waiting for, an invitation?!? Please do it!
Fernando
turbomentor

Post by turbomentor »

That sounds like an excellent idea!

Let me know if you need me to beta test for you!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, so there is some interest out there. We will look into this; it won't be in the next FW release (we have other goodies coming) but maybe after that...
John Hamann
wellmt

Post by wellmt »

Wow, that would be amazing. iPro too please.

Out of interest, is there any ETA on the next firmware update? (not that I can find anything wrong with the current one)
turbomentor

Post by turbomentor »

wellmt wrote:Out of interest, is there any ETA on the next firmware update? (not that I can find anything wrong with the current one)
I for one would also like to see LAP TIME added. IOW when I hit the left button and hold for 2 secs to start a new lap, the timer only gives total time. For someone (like me!) who does a LOT of work with intervals, I'd love to see the timer reset to zero and give you LAP TIME as well as TOTAL TIME.
djconnel

Post by djconnel »

I think this is a great suggestion, except I personally think the TSS formula is badly flawed. It can be run up by riding along at 1 watt following a much higher effort. The Ergomo had to deal with this problem by arbitrarily dropping points below some near-zero power threshold. I have my own formula which doesn't suffer this problem (the integral{ (50/hr)[P/FTP + (P/FTP)^4] dt }, for those who care....). It's linear in time so the total ride score = the sum of scores of parts of the ride, a feature missing from the conventional formula. The NP formula is probably better, but I personally think the smoothing time should be user-specific, at least, depending on ones ratio of aerobic to anaerobic power (CP to AWC in the critical power model). Why do I mention this? The best approach is probably the still-vapor Qranium, which is python-customizable, or so they say. But calculating TSS isn't as noncontroversial as calculating average power, for example. I wouldn't want the Coggan&Allen formula hard-coded into my computer.
turbomentor

Post by turbomentor »

djconnel wrote:I think this is a great suggestion, except I personally think the TSS formula is badly flawed. It can be run up by riding along at 1 watt following a much higher effort.
While I have reason to dispute what you are saying WRT the TSS formula, I doubt anyone who is seriously using TSS as a tracking/training tool is going to "run the numbers up" by riding along at 1W then pounding it for 20 minutes to show an artificially high TSS. Most of us are just going to ride our ride and use the TSS for what it is: a gauge on how hard we've worked our legs.

Again, I'm the last person to be asking how the TSS formula works or if it is a "good" formula or not; seems to work for the majority of those who use WK)+ and I bet it can be incorporated into the iBike.
Thanks for educating me more about what goes into this formula!
coachboyd

Post by coachboyd »

There are definitely ways you can skew the TSS score (there's a whole thread on the google wattage group right now about NP "buster" rides). I know that if you ride easy and every five minutes do an all out sprint you will have a very low average wattage, but a ridiculously high NP, and that is one of the workouts that I like to do.

But for most of the rides, keeping track of TSS especially when you use the performance manager chart is a very important feature. In the past for myself I have taken the performance manager chart and extended it out to an "A race". That way I have my goal TSS score that I hit everyday and it really helps me plan my peak for that event. Having that info on the screen will be great for helping athletes peak for their event, or having their coach telling them what to do.
Boyd Johnson
http://www.boydcycling.com - high performance carbon wheels and accessories
djconnel

Post by djconnel »

I agree TSS tracking would be a nice feature, even if I have a thing about specifics of the TSS formula which could be solved with simple modifications. It's still obviously better in most cases than net work (kJ) alone! There is a licensing issue with the term "TSS", but not with the formula itself, which is public domain. So iBike may want to call it something other than TSS.