Setup for a Trike

fmullin

Setup for a Trike

Post by fmullin »

I am forced to ride a Trike since I've developed balance problems. I've just installed my iBike on the Trike. Now I'm going through the setup process and wonder what I should do for the "Est Aero"step -- none of the three is accurate for the situation on a trike (which is more aero that any position on a bicycle)?
racerfern

Re: Setup for a Trike

Post by racerfern »

You've got a couple of choices. If you have an idea of what Crr is for a trike like yours, then do coastdowns and let the iBike determine your CdA.

Or if you have no idea for Crr, you can let the iBike determine both Crr and CdA. This can all done in the iBike 3 software afterwards. Keep in mind that you will still have to get up to 20mph in order to do the coastdowns (sorry, but I don't know if that's an issue or not)
Fernando
fmullin

Post by fmullin »

Gee -- why aren't there lots of comments from all the other Trike owners who use the iBike??
Maybe I'm the first!
Well, you guys can stash this away for the second guy.
Crr is 0.0078 rather than 0.0055
I get an Aero of 0.248 and a CdA of 0.308 which are lower than for a bike
But my friction is 23.897 -- a lot higher than a bike. Part of that, I would guess, is the extra weight of the trike.
klaus

Post by klaus »

Hi I am using the ibike with my trike.

I am a long time user of the ibike so I used to good old method: Coat downs and calibration ride. The result did work for me.

There is some frustration for me on the lower watt reading on the trike. You will probably see that there are big differences in the readings depending on the trike and how people ride it : Tires, flag, gadgets on the trike all make a diference.

I am riding a catrike 700 and have now done 1,600km on it in the last 2 month (almost no race bike, just to compare how much slower I was on the tirke)

Here are the settings from my trike and race bike

trike aero 0.384 fric 8.010 cda 0.357 and crr 0.00488
race bike aero 0.458 fric 10.036 cda 0.502 crr 0.0070

Hop this helps
fmullin

Post by fmullin »

Klaus,
It's nice to see there is another rider out there with similar experiences -- I've got a Catrike Expedition -- the 700 was a little to low for me.
I put on over 9,000 miles on mine this year, so I've gained some experience on how it works relative to the road bike (at least for me).
Generally I can ride with the gang I rode with before, but I am a little slower (about 1mph, I think).
Climbing is not at all bad -- the laid out position of the trikes lets you get good power -- maybe you can even get more with the 700.
My main complaint is the soreness I get in the knees - the muscles on the side get sore. It may be me, in that I ride at a cadence of 70-80 and my knees might be happier if I rode at a higher cadence -- but that tires me out too fast.
I'm going to do a recalibration of my ibike. I too have noticed that my power is about 10% lower than it was before. But my heart rate is actually higher than it was before. Somehow, those two factors don't seem reasonable -- seems to me they should change together.
I'm suspicious of your calibration. "crr" is a measure of your rolling resistance -- you're trike is lower than a bike (.0055). But we've got 3 wheels. I don't know if that means it should be 50% higher or what relative to a bike.
Anyhow, enjoy you ibike on your trike. Too bad we can't look at it while we ride (I assume yours is also sitting on the little support the Catrike provides by the pedals).
Merry Christmas
Frank