what about water/rain?

Q&A for all things iSport
doofus

what about water/rain?

Post by doofus »

I've read some users' reports that water/rain in the port causing problems with the unit. Was that a Gen I issue, or is it something that still needs attention (I remember having to take apart my powertap hub after any ride in the rain...)?
racerfern

Re: what about water/rain?

Post by racerfern »

Up to a light steady rain should not be an issue. A heavier rain should not affect the iiBike unless you are in it for quite some time. A deluge will probably block the wind port and give you weird power readings. However, the unit tends to dry out very quickly.

You will never have to take anything apart. If you know you will be riding in the rain, a tiny bit of silicone grease on the o-rings of the battery cover for the iBike and the wireless head if you have one will keep water from getting into the unit. Some people have taken to putting some silicone grease on the outside of the wireless head cover to keep water from even getting close to getting in. Again, only if you know you will be in rain would these steps be necessary.
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: what about water/rain?

Post by Velocomp »

The Gen III design has design changes to help prevent water from entering the mount/battery area.

If water gets in the wind port simply remove the iBike, blow out the water, then resume.
John Hamann