iSport new user questions

Q&A for all things iSport
pok

iSport new user questions

Post by pok »

Hi

I have just purchased an iSport from the Australia distributor. After a few runs, I'm very impressed. Some comments/questions:

1) It has firmware 3.02. Seems that is pretty old - is this actually a Gen III model? Is there any value in me getting the USB connector and updating to the latest firmware (will it be any more accurate?). I'm not too keen on sending the unit all the way to the US to get the firmware updated by iBike.

2) The lap function is a great thought, but you can't review previous laps after the ride which is very odd (and basically makes the function useless)

3) My instruction says to do coast downs - but reading the latest firmware instructions - they say to NOT do coast downs. For rel 3.02, should I be doing them or not? If I've already done coast-downs, how do I stop the iSport from using the results of them?

4) When I do coast downs, I can see the Aero and Friction numbers by pressing the Totals button. Is the iSport using these numbers if I do an Est CdA after the coast down?

5) At some point I put a CRR of 62 in the setup - however now it is 101. Was it a coast down or calibration ride that changed it?

6) What parameters is a calibration ride changing? CDA, Aero, Wind?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Paul
jazclrint

Re: iSport new user questions

Post by jazclrint »

I am going to preface these answers with a disclaimer that I am a new iSport user and I am pretty sure everything I say is right, but not 100% certain.

1. It is really old (my iSport have 4.17), I don't know if it's a gen III or not. I thought all iSports were Gen III because they are a new model. Something doesn't sound quite right. And no I wouldn't think it's worth it to send it to the US for a firmware update. The problem is even if you buy a USB adapter you still have to buy the iPro firmware upgrade to get it to talk to your computer. At least that's all I can gleam from the instructions.

2. Well, now I don't feel so bad not using it in my last race.

3. Go into the "set up" menu -> "fast start" menu -> "est aero" and select one of the 3 options hoods, drops, or TT. That should take care of the aero numbers. Then stay in the set up menu and go to the "rACr" menu and turn say yes to "ESt FriC". It should then say "FriC" and "55" below that. That should do anything the coast downs changed. Saying that, I really don't know if coast downs are bad for iSports or not. I think the issue is we can't connect to a computer and "fix" the data to make them actually worth it and/or prevent them from being harmful.

4. Beats me. Wish I knew. I'm sure the info is in here somewhere.

5. Pretty sure it was the coast down, but I don't really know for sure.

6. Darned if I know.

I hope this helps in some small way.

Rich
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

1) All iSports are Gen III, updating to the latest firmware will not make the unit more accurate, it will make it more user friendly as far as setups and scanning of wireless sensors. However the basic purpose of being a power meter is unchanged.

2) Press and hold the left button and don't let go. It will go into lap review mode. Use the up and down buttons to scroll through the laps. At least that's how it works on iAeros and iPros. YMMV so check the reference manual.

3) As long as you have the EST Aero option, go with that and setting the Crr at .055. Then do a cal ride and you're done.

4) If you do a coastdown then those numbers take precedence. If after a coastdown you go to EST Aero then those numbers take precedence.

5) The coastdown changed the Crr.

6) Cal rides change tilt adjustment and wind calibration.
Fernando
pok

Post by pok »

Thanks for the replies....

With some more experimenting and a few more rides on the iSport....

1) Firmware version accuracy - version 3.02 doesn't seem to have a lot of the featured mentioned in this forum, so getting it calibrated appears an impossible task for me so far. I ride for 10kms, then set tilt, zero the wind (with a plastic bag), then 4km calibration ride (no traffic, flat), then check the Coast (ie. don't do a coast down, just look at the coast power figure), and it's generally either +50W or -50W - so a long way from being accurate. Obviously the cal ride is not working due to some other parameter being out, but tracking down the problem has been an issue.

2) I don't think the iSport has the same lap review mode as the iPro (at least on 3.02 it doesn't).

3) OK, 3.02 has CRR as whole numbers (I've been using 60 - I take it this is the same as 0.060 on later versions?). Also, on 3.02 there is no "fast start" menu item, nor EST Fric. I have Crr (59), ESt CdA (179cm, 71kg, hoods). There is also a "WLS" menu set to CF6, which I don't understand. And a "Fit" menu

4) Thanks. Have done that, so I think the coastdown numbers should be being ignored now (although they are still viewable by pressing "Total").

5) Interesting. Set CRR to 60, then did a cal ride and to set the CRR to 59.

If it was always +50W or -50W out, I could live with it, however it gets further out the faster I go - so going 12kph up a hill seems to be accurate, but 40kph on the flat it might be 100W out.
Paul
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

1) +50/-50 is just fine. It will tend to go higher or lower as speed increases. As long as you stay in that range around 25-35kph you should be fine.

2) Maybe not.

3) With Crr at 59 and using the ESt CdA numbers you should be just fine after your cal ride.

4) When reviewing the aero and fric numbers you are seeing the results of a calride combined with either your EST CdA input or your last coastdown. Do your cal ride then input your EST CdA info and that's all you'll need.

5) No biggie.
Fernando