WLS Fail

faheyb

WLS Fail

Post by faheyb »

I have run an iAero on 3 different bikes since late 2010. Recently I replaced a wireless transmitter after the strap broke. After 3 months use the replacement failed, while the other 2 remain scanning perfectly. The symptom is the "WLS Fail". Initially I replaced the batteries on the iAero, then the wireless transmittter and finally the speed sensor. The result was just the same - WLS Fail. Is there any other checks to do prior to purchasing another wireless transmitter.

Thanks in advance.
racerfern

Re: WLS Fail

Post by racerfern »

Can you switch the transmitter switches and location so the SPD transmitter is now assigned to CAD and vice versa. Obviously you'll have to re-scan but you should see where you had one metric (speed) drop to zero now you'll see CAD drop to zero. Maybe???

Also, when riding and seeing WLS FAIL, can you push the center button and see if CAD or SPD has failed. Also note if you see the missing sensor found as you're riding. You might have a loose battery in the wireless head. A little piece of electrical tape between the top battery cover of the wireless head and the iBike that sits on it might just give you enough pressure to maintain contact.

I'm not sure why these things happen after you've been riding for some time but I recently had to put a small piece of foam between the battery cover and the battery. This happened after over 12,000 miles without an issue. Go figure.
Fernando
rcmaps

Re: WLS Fail

Post by rcmaps »

racerfern wrote:A little piece of electrical tape between the top battery cover of the wireless head and the iBike that sits on it might just give you enough pressure to maintain contact.

I'm not sure why these things happen after you've been riding for some time but I recently had to put a small piece of foam between the battery cover and the battery. This happened after over 12,000 miles without an issue. Go figure.
Happened to me too - my iBike kept dimming and then rebooting every 1km or so - really annoying. Got home, tested both mount and ibike battery and both were around 3V or so. I then removed the mount battery and very carefully and gently bent the gold contact on the mount slightly out to maintain better contact - I guess similar to what racerfern was doing.

So far no problems after doing this.