losing pairing

dquirk29

losing pairing

Post by dquirk29 »

Ever since I updated the latest software for my I-bike aero I have had problems with it reading my sensors. About half the time I go on a ride the unit just stops reading from the sensors. Sometimes I can go to “fast search” and get it to pick up the sensors other times I can’t. Also have been able to get it back on the “scan” screen by setting it to yes but not always.

When I get home I resend my profile to the unit and it always pick up the sensors on the start of the ride but then will just stop as described above.

Please help
DQ
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: losing pairing

Post by Velocomp »

1. If the profile number selected in your setup “SET PROF” screen is not set properly, it is possible that the sensor pairing information is not being saved. Please verify that the value set in the “SET PROF” setup screen is set to either a “1” or “2”. If it is set to a “0”, this could be your problem.
2. It may be that the “auto-pair” sequence is not being triggered when you start a ride. We use information from one of the sensors in the iBike to detect motion. If the motion detected exceeds a certain threshold, we assume the iBike is installed on the mount and that the user is attempt to start a ride. When we detect this motion, we start searching for your sensors using the pairing information saved in the iBike. You should check your “Tilt” calibration to make sure it is correct. If the Tilt calibration is off by a substantial amount, it is possible that we won’t cross that “motion threshold” mentioned. If the tilt calibration looks fine, one thing to try to force the automatic search for sensors would be to hold the handle bars level and raise the front wheel up while leaving the rear wheel on the ground thereby tilting the bicycle up 10 or 20 degrees. This action should trigger the search sequence.
3. Although not normally required, we recommend that you install the iBike on the wireless mount prior to waking it up. When the iBike wakes up, it should automatically attempt a search for sensors. However, if it is not connected to the wireless mount when it is awakened, it won’t be able to initiate the search for sensors. The iBike should go to sleep on its own after about 20 minutes or so if you don’t press any buttons, or you should be able to force the iBike to go to sleep by pressing the center button when the BATT screen is visible in the Setup menus. After the iBike is asleep, pressing any button should wake it up and initiate the auto-pair process.
4. If you take a break during your riding, your wireless sensors might fall asleep before the iBike does. If the iBike determines that the sensor has is not sending its signal, then the iBike won't look for the "asleep" sensor anymore during the ride. To overcome this problem, do a Trip Reset, which will force the auto-pairing process to begin again.
John Hamann
dquirk29

Post by dquirk29 »

1. Set proof is set to "1"

2. Tilt is correct and lifting bars does not wake up the unit

3. It does not search after trip reset or when I wait until it's on the mount to wake it up

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my "scan" screen always read NO on the bottom and 0 on top. If I set it to yes when I come back to that screen it always reads NO.

DQ
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

If you get YES - does the YES flash? You need to hit the center button again to keep the answer to YES for the scan. If you go away from the scan screen, it will default back to NO. If you do not have the iBike plugged into the wireless base, you will get a WLS Fail in a few seconds. Otherwise, if the sensors are awake and you have a heart strap on, you will get messages about what is found.

Tom
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Are these outdoor rides or trainer rides?
John Hamann
dquirk29

Post by dquirk29 »

outdoor, dry and around 45-50 dergees

and the yes is flashing then I hit the center button and it stays on yes, but when I go back it has defaulted back to NO
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

DQ:

My iAero Gen III does the exact same thing as your unit, but I've been riding exclusively indoor on a Kurt Kinetics trainer for the last couple of months:

1) Go to Scan screen, says "No."
2) Push middle button, "Yes" flashes, select "Yes" by pushing middle button.
3) Unit scans for devices, finds Spd, Cad, and HR...you're good for that ride.
4) Come back the next day, awaken the unit while on the mount, doesn't pair with anything.
5) Go back to Step 1...

Wish I knew the answer. Could this be weak from weak batteries?? There was a time when it paired properly...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Here is the answer for indoor trainers only:

Before starting your indoor trainer ride, lift the front wheel of the bike so that hill slope reads 10% or more. Just hold it for a second and then set the bike back down. When the accelerometer is jostled the auto-pairing process will begin.

Or, you can do a trip reset. After each trip reset is done the auto-pairing is started.

Let us know if this works for you!
John Hamann
dquirk29

Post by dquirk29 »

John

And for the outside rider? Me

DQ
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I have the Garmin speed/cadence and HR setup. iBike Pro wireless.

Every time I have pairing problems it boils down to a battery or two or I have to hard reset the iBike. On rare occasions I have gotten water in the GSC-10 (washing the bike) and nothing would work for spd/cad until I replaced the battery after drying out the module.

Tom
Last edited by lorduintah on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:Here is the answer for indoor trainers only:

Before starting your indoor trainer ride, lift the front wheel of the bike so that hill slope reads 10% or more. Just hold it for a second and then set the bike back down. When the accelerometer is jostled the auto-pairing process will begin.

Or, you can do a trip reset. After each trip reset is done the auto-pairing is started.

Let us know if this works for you!
John,
I was about to try doing a trip reset before my trainer ride today and the unit paired up normally, after the battery check and auto wind sequence. Intermittently, I do see proper pairing, maybe 25% of the time?? Obviously, at this point, I haven't been able to determine a step or series of steps before preparing to ride that reliably cause my iAero to pair as designed. I hope that the unit continues to perform properly, but if not, I'll report back as to whether a trip reset and/or tilting the bike has the desired effect.

Thanks for your suggestions.
dquirk29

Post by dquirk29 »

I repalced the battery in the stem mount and now it seems to be working fine.

DQ
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

I'm also beginning to suspect a weak battery for my pairing issues. Under warmer conditions in my garage, where the trainer is located, I seem to be more successful at pairing than on colder days (need to take some notes to confirm this...). It may be that lower temps sap just enough "juice" to cause problems. If the pairing problems recur, I'm going to start replacing batteries one at a time. I also have a battery tester, so this may identify the culprit...
kylef

Post by kylef »

Any suggestions on how to use an iAero in my back pocket? With a couple DFPM's and lack of mounts, it'd be great if I could put the iAero on a mount and throw the lot in my back pocket. I'm not really concerned about the wind sensor, tilt, etc obviously. I'd just like to collect data from the other sensors (mainly DFPM & speed).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you put the iAero in your back pocket, with its wireless mount connected, your iAero will record ride files as long as it's seeing the speed sensor. As you've pointed out, wind and slope readings will be crazy...
John Hamann