Powerpod V3 (red label) keeps losing pairing info

gfmoore

Powerpod V3 (red label) keeps losing pairing info

Post by gfmoore »

Hi, I've obtained a Powerpod v3 and set it up a few days ago, which was hard work. I use Garmin speed sensor (fits on the front hub), Garmin cadence sensor (fits on the left pedal) and a Garmin heartrate sensor (fits around my chest :). I have a Karoo version 1 head unit.

I went out for my first proper ride yesterday since getting it going and it seemed to have a hard time connecting, all I got was zero. After stopping and going through the setup procedure a few times I managed to get it to do it's count up to 100 process and then it kicked in.

I did find it disconcerting that at times (probably after coming to a traffic light etc) even though I was pedalling it seemed to show 0 and then would kick in fine.

I've attached the fit file, perhaps someone can figure it out? (And don't laugh at my weedy efforts, I'm 61 and have just started after 30 years of doing nothing! ;) You'll notice a spike in the speed near the start which is where I think the power recording started? (Edited: note the file has extension jpg, just change it to fit - seems bulletin board won't accept fit files? Uhmm doesn't want that either? Suggestions.) Edit: just tried importing into Isaac and saving as ibr file perhaps that's what you need?

I'm assuming that all I should do is just press the button! And once the wheels and pedals start going "round and round" it should reconnect.

Hope someone has some tips

Edit: After downloading there was a firmware update to 8.01?? Don't know if that will affect the issue.
Edit: Sorry not sure I uploaded correct power file. v2

Gordon.

Edit: Garmin Bike Speed Sensor 2 and Cadence Sensor 2
Attachments
Velocomp_02_21_2021_1250_13_km.ibr
(258.24 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Velocomp_02_21_2021_1243_1_km_CalRide.ibr
(29.3 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Velocomp_02_21_2021_1243_1_k14th ride m_CalRide v2.ibr
(309.58 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Last edited by gfmoore on Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod V3 (red label) keeps losing pairing info

Post by Velocomp »

I think your unit is operating just fine.

For the first 90 seconds of a ride the unit automatically self calibrates. During this period you might see low (or high) watts. In your case watts were low.

I checked a few places in your ride. On the flats, your speed was about 20 km/h. Measured watts for the interval I checked was spot-on with aero coach:
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.53.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.53.51 AM.png (229.01 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
I then checked a hill. You were working much harder on the hill! Once again, watts are fine:
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.55.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.55.48 AM.png (248.77 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Whenever you start from zero, you'll see a spike in watts for a few seconds; this is the power you expend to deal with acceleration.

It's great that you are getting going in cycling!
John Hamann
gfmoore

Post by gfmoore »

Hey John,

Thanks very much for your response and the analysis.

I hope that the next time I go out I don't have to reconnect/recalibrate.

As I understand it, I should just press button, see flashing green, rotate wheel and pedals to wake sensors up (so start riding?), when solid green, it's go! :)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I usually ride 10 seconds to wake up my speed/cadence sensors, then click the PP button.
John Hamann
gfmoore

Post by gfmoore »

I'll try it, thanks.
gfmoore

Post by gfmoore »

Hi, that advice seemed to do the trick. Powerpod connected and recorded.

It still worries me though when after a start from say traffic lights there's just zero on the device (head unit - Karoo v1) for some seconds. Is this to be expected as it kicks in?

Anyhow thanks,

Gordon
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

gfmoore wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:59 am Hi, that advice seemed to do the trick. Powerpod connected and recorded.

It still worries me though when after a start from say traffic lights there's just zero on the device (head unit - Karoo v1) for some seconds. Is this to be expected as it kicks in?

Anyhow thanks,

Gordon
If you are seeing a delay, this likely is the result of your averaging settings in your Karoo. Set averaging to a shorter time and this should improve things.
John Hamann