ISAAC MAC USERS: DO NOT UPGRADE TO MACOS BIG SUR!

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

ISAAC MAC USERS: DO NOT UPGRADE TO MACOS BIG SUR!

Post by Velocomp »

There are two utilities used in Isaac/Mac, made by Silicon Labs and National Instruments.

These two companies are multi-billion dollar enterprises.

The utilities they make and we use are incompatible with Apple Big Sur.

So, if you want to continue to use Isaac on your Mac, DO NOT UPGRADE TO BIG SUR.

We have been watching both the NI and SiLabs websites, hoping to see the needed upgrades. So far they do not exist.

There is nothing we can do until these companies respond. They are each going to have thousands of their customers out of luck, so we are hopeful they will fix this problem soon.
John Hamann
TuRu00

Re: ISAAC MAC USERS: DO NOT UPGRADE TO MACOS BIG SUR!

Post by TuRu00 »

May be is time to change Isaac dependencies ;-) As far as we paid for Isaac for Mac, hope that this will be fixed soon.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

TuRu00 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:43 pm May be is time to change Isaac dependencies ;-) As far as we paid for Isaac for Mac, hope that this will be fixed soon.
Three points:

1) It is impossible for us to write Isaac without using third party software. "Third party software" is code written by someone other than the developer. In our case, third-party drivers enable communication between Isaac software in your Mac, and the electronics inside PowerPod.

Drivers are just one example of third party software. In fact, there is not a major piece of software, anywhere, that does not rely on third party software.

2) Just like the 64 bit change of last year, the current situation is due to changes that Apple made. While we disagreed with Apple's change in Catalina that forced app migration to 64 bit, the Big Sur change improves the security of macOS. That's probably a good idea.

3) Apple announced this change over a year ago. Both Silicon Labs and National Instruments have been aware, for a long time, that they needed to update their drivers.

I am hoping we will have new drivers soon (within a month). We will get them to you as soon as they are available.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Maybe now is the time for the phone app?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texbiker wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 pm Maybe now is the time for the phone app?
The issue is: how to get data out of the PowerPod/AeroPod?

Right now we use a USB cable. This is where the drivers are required.

Going to phone-based data transfer would require a major overhaul of our electronics. You'd have to purchase a "V4" unit. And yes, even the V4 would require drivers...

Note that today, if you have a Garmin on your bike...there already is a wireless app--our ConnectIQ app receives wind/slope/power/Time Advantage data during the ride. Afterwards, Garmin Connect displays that data, on your computer or your phone.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

The PP sends data via Bluetooth to a head unit? Why not use Bluetooth to the phone?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texbiker wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm The PP sends data via Bluetooth to a head unit? Why not use Bluetooth to the phone?
There are already a lot of apps that receive and display our Bluetooth data, including our app PowerHouse Bike.

Apps are not inexpensive to develop: we spent 6 figures on our app.

And of course, after we created the app, Apple modified things, forcing us to spend even more to make our app compatible with their latest versions of iOS.

Nothing is easy; nothing is free.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Wahoo uses an app to setup their computers. I don't think it was cheap but it is very slick to configure my bike computer using an app on my phone. I think you might attract more users if you had a phone app but it is your decision.

Sadly, I sold my PP V3 and moved to Favero pedals because of the phone app and no need to remove the PP from my bikes to download the data on my desktop Windows 10 computer. Isaac is good software but locked in to OS's I don't use. I use a Chromebook for my main computer.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texbiker wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:00 pm Wahoo uses an app to setup their computers. I don't think it was cheap but it is very slick to configure my bike computer using an app on my phone. I think you might attract more users if you had a phone app but it is your decision.

Sadly, I sold my PP V3 and moved to Favero pedals because of the phone app and no need to remove the PP from my bikes to download the data on my desktop Windows 10 computer. Isaac is good software but locked in to OS's I don't use. I use a Chromebook for my main computer.
1) Why did you not use the Rider/Bike/Sensor setup screens on our PowerHouse Bike iOS/Android app, which has been available since 2012 (years before Favero started business)?

2) What software app from Favero downloads power data on macOS, Android, and Chromebook? If the app isn't made by Favero, why did you not use the same app to download V3 power data?

3) If you use a Windows 10 computer (where Isaac/Windows works), why are you posting on a thread about Isaac/Mac?

Since you no longer own a V3, it's a bit difficult to understand what this is all about.
Attachments
Settings Screen.PNG
Settings Screen.PNG (167.68 KiB) Viewed 23709 times
Bike rider Sensor.PNG
Bike rider Sensor.PNG (90.77 KiB) Viewed 23709 times
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

I tried the Powerhouse app but it offered no feedback, only a one way conversation to the PP but I had no idea what was contained in the PP profile bank.

I joined the conversation because it pertained to some things I experienced using the PP over several years.

Favero's app shows information about the settings, allows you to set items like crankset length, calibrate, battery status. The data is contained in the fit file from the Wahoo Bolt computer which I can download to a Chromebook and Windows (I don't use Mac's so I can't speak for that).

I guess I will not contribute to the forums in the future since I am not a user. But I thought it might be informative as to why I stopped using the PP.

Velocomp might want to be more open to changing the interface with the PP for some potential customers who want an easier UI.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, so here's where we are:

1) You used the PH smartphone app (great!) to enter your profile data, got a message on the PH screen saying that the profile data was sent, but for some reason did not understand that that the profile data you entered and is displayed on the PH app screen is the data stored in PP

2) The profile data on Favero's smartphone app includes crankset length and calibration, things that have zero relevance to PowerPod. Note that PowerPod battery strength is viewed from your bike computer

3) PowerPod data is also included in the Wahoo FIT file.

4) You don't use Isaac, so this thread has no bearing on your other comments.

I appreciate the time you've taken to post your comments, but from them I don't see any action items for us to pursue.
John Hamann
fwbmorison

Post by fwbmorison »

Unfortunately, I did not come to look at this forum until I had already upgraded. Fortunately (at least for this reason) I live in Canada and will be riding inside with a smart trainer and will not need to use my PowerPod for at least 4 months, so hopefully the upgraded drivers will be available by then. However, to echo a comment made earlier about dependencies, the vendors of your drivers do not seem that interested in serving their Mac user base. That means that you need to either 1. (hopefully with other users of the drivers) lobby your driver vendors to commit to upping their game, or 2. re-write Issac to use drivers published by someone more committed to the Mac community (a massive expense, I know). If you do neither then you too will develop a reputation of being unfriendly to your Mac user base.
I am trying to be sympathetic and recognize that you are stuck between a rock and hard place. You don't have an easy answer. However, as a Mac user I am frustrated with the lack of usability of software that is key to getting full value for my purchase.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

There are a number of commercial users of the software packages provided by Silicon Labs that base their products on the Mac/Apple computer system. Visiting the Silicon Lab forums highlights those users and their combined irritation (mild description) that Si Labs has not yet released the needed drivers.

Si Labs is not alone - two vendors for software allowing Windows to be run non Macs are also stymied - both Parallels and VMWare are suffering issue with Big SUR - both are having issues allowing Windows internet access through the Mac OS.

The latter issue is just s serious for many of us who have been using this path of running Windows and thereby running the Windows version of Isaac - we are now temporarily without a path to use a PP or even Newton on indoor and outdoor rides.

So, simply put, Velocomp is not the only vendor stuck in a hard place.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lorduintah wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:56 pm There are a number of commercial users of the software packages provided by Silicon Labs that base their products on the Mac/Apple computer system. Visiting the Silicon Lab forums highlights those users and their combined irritation (mild description) that Si Labs has not yet released the needed drivers.

Si Labs is not alone - two vendors for software allowing Windows to be run non Macs are also stymied - both Parallels and VMWare are suffering issue with Big SUR - both are having issues allowing Windows internet access through the Mac OS.

The latter issue is just s serious for many of us who have been using this path of running Windows and thereby running the Windows version of Isaac - we are now temporarily without a path to use a PP or even Newton on indoor and outdoor rides.

So, simply put, Velocomp is not the only vendor stuck in a hard place.
Thank you for your comments. I honestly don't think Apple cares about the downstream effects of its changes, and all of the heartaches it causes developers as of a consequence of macOS "improvements".

We are but a decimal point in the unhappiness of millions of customers who have been knocked-out by Big Sur. Eventually things will be sorted out, but in the mean time it is unhappy times.

I have not upgraded my Macs to Big Sur (both because of Isaac and because of Windows incompatibilities you note). Earlier today I did upgrade one of our other Macs to Big Sur; I can't see any obvious improvements in the new OS, but I do see that Isaac is dead on it (for the time being).
John Hamann
TuRu00

Post by TuRu00 »

PowerHouse simply does nit work with Aeropod. It sends out of range valúes and power i always zero. Please dont tell us that it is an option.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

TuRu00 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:58 am PowerHouse simply does nit work with Aeropod. It sends out of range valúes and power i always zero. Please dont tell us that it is an option.
That seems very odd. I will check it out.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

TuRu00 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:58 am PowerHouse simply does nit work with Aeropod. It sends out of range valúes and power i always zero. Please dont tell us that it is an option.
On today's ride I checked out your claim. I did the following:

1) I turned on AeroPod
2) I launched PowerHouse Bike app (iOS version)
3) I touched "Settings/Rider, Bike and Sensor Setup"
4) I confirmed that there was a checkbox in "Sensors"; this means that AeroPod is paired to the app
5) I backed out of the settings screens by touching "Settings" and then "Done"
6) I scrolled to "Free Ride" and touched "Start Ride"

The app worked perfectly, as expected. I saw Power, Speed, Calories, Distance, and Cadence.

I do not see any problem with AeroPod functioning with the app. Note that the app does NOT show CdA values; we don't claim that it does.
John Hamann
TuRu00

Post by TuRu00 »

Try to configure Aeropod for the first time with the app after a hard reset. It was my use case.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

TuRu00 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:09 am Try to configure Aeropod for the first time with the app after a hard reset. It was my use case.
As a general rule there is a limited amount of time, after waking, during which a Bluetooth device can be paired to your smartphone. This is a characteristic of Bluetooth pairing protocols.

PowerPod/AeroPod needs to be asleep, then awakened, prior to pairing with the app. Doing a hard reset does not put your device to sleep, so it is not surprising that your AeroPod was unable to pair to the app.

The sequence I documented included awakening my AP from sleep.
John Hamann
TuRu00

Post by TuRu00 »

May be its time to release a new Mac version? I remember that i paid for using on this platform, and id like to run it on Big Sur.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

TuRu00 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:29 pm May be its time to release a new Mac version? I remember that i paid for using on this platform, and id like to run it on Big Sur.
As we have tried to communicate, the problem is not Isaac; the problem are drivers provided by National Instruments, a $2 billion corporation. NI has not fixed its drivers for Big Sur 11.4 compatibility; until they do we are unable to respond.

Frankly, this whole affair with Apple is becoming tiresome. In the past 4 years Apple has:

1) Caused us to spend $ thousands to upgrade our iOS app for compatibility with their changes to iOS.
2) Caused us to spend $thousands to upgrade Isaac from 32 bit to 64 bit
3) Grossly complicated Isaac installation process with the introduction of Catalina and Big Sur
4) Totally killed Isaac/Mac with the introduction of Big Sur 11.4
5) Provided a defective "Rosetta" conversion system for Intel-->M1 CPU apps, making it impossible to run Isaac on M1 Macs

So, in the past 4 years we, a very small developer, have spent a lot of $ to provide Mac/iOS software updates that result in much more complicated installation, less compatibility, and zero performance benefit. The irony is this: the software companies who are causing us (and you) fits with Big Sur and M1 have combined valuations in the trillions of dollars.

As you look at the above list, it's important to remember that Isaac is free, and we charge $0.99 for PowerHouse iOS. Everything Apple has done in the past 4 years has cost us money and provided zero performance benefit to our customers.

We were the first power meter company to provide a Mac app (that was 15 years ago!) and it hurts to think this might change. The most reasonable course of action for us at this point is to drop Mac support, but we are not yet there.

But every time I click on a ride file on the Mac side, Isaac launches and crashes. I have to move things over to Isaac Windows. This is painful...I totally understand your frustration.
John Hamann
TuRu00

Post by TuRu00 »

I understand it, but in my case is the only way to use Isaac. So i expect that the powermeter i use to have a Mac version, or at least an iOS and Android version for doing the same... that i understand that it is not very easy because Isaac is very powerful..
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

TuRu00 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:17 pm I understand it, but in my case is the only way to use Isaac. So i expect that the powermeter i use to have a Mac version, or at least an iOS and Android version for doing the same... that i understand that it is not very easy because Isaac is very powerful..
You can use this workaround:

http://www.velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5756
John Hamann