Power pod III and Garmin connect

dave potts

Power pod III and Garmin connect

Post by dave potts »

Hi,

Just how well does a power pod interface with Garmin connect ? Just what data will it supply ? I could buy Garmin wells which will supply the right data.

A pair of vector pedals which will supply all the data is about 800 GBP, a power pod III is about 250 GBP if I buy it at the right place, that is enough of a cash saving to get me interested. I am aware that the power Pod does not like rain, I don't either so I don't think that will be to much of a problem.
mir

Re: Power pod III and Garmin connect

Post by mir »

This is what you see for ride details for a ride in Garmin connect. For Aeropod two more data sets will be available. You need to install the PP Connect IQ app on your Garmin to have the data saved to the rides fit file. (The two gaps in the watt curve is due to a pause and a mechanical problem)
2020-09-22_08-25.png
2020-09-22_08-25.png (117.19 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Does it populate all the bike power settings as well ? or is that function reserve just for Garmin data providers ?
mir

Post by mir »

dave potts wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 am Does it populate all the bike power settings as well ? or is that function reserve just for Garmin data providers ?
What do you mean by 'all the bike power settings'?

BTW. The app is available here: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f542 ... 3f3504b1e2
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Garmin supply a something called garmin connect, it collects information from their watches an other sensors, its described as using ant+

I have the Garmin Cadnce sensor and under biking activity I get a graph showing my cadnce when using a bike.

There are also markers for the maximum amount of power, these are currently blank because I don't have a power meter.

What I would like to know is

1. Does Power Pod III supply data via Ant +
2. Is the data provided by Power Pod acceptable to other software packages such as Garmin 'connec't application ?

Settings would items such as average power, maximum power etc.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you're using a Garmin bike computer (and it sounds like you are) then you can load our free AeroPod CdA app into it.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f542 ... 3f3504b1e2

The AeroPod CdA app, when used with PowerPod, will provide power, slope, and wind speed data to Garmin Connect, through the ".fit" file generated by your Garmin bike computer. You'll also get speed, cadence, and GPS data in the .fit file.

You will need an ANT+ speed sensor to work with your PowerPod.
John Hamann
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Thanks for the comment

My Garmin device is a Garmin Fenix 6, a watch. I know the watch does generate .flt files

My speed sensor is a Garmin Speed sensor 2, it shows up Garmin connect as a know device and generates information, although it attached to my rear wheel.

It seems it has been tried before and works see https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4921
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

I tried it last might with some mixed results.

I went thought the different light sequances, I think I got it paired with the sensors.

Then I tried the calibration bit,dammed thing was on red and green all the time, what ever I did.

Its started to rain so I retired to read the net.

It seems when it started flashing reg and green, I should off hit the button, something I failed to do.

I did connect the pod to a computer and downloaded issac, given the amount of data supplied, the pod had synced with the sensors, its only getting a connection between the Fenix and the power that seems to be the issue.

A look at the connected devices and results generated by the watch, show a empty graph had been added to the results and a connection with the pod had been made.

I know from some of my running attempts and power sensors, garmin fenix 6 will only record data, if the power data field has been added to the correct watch face.

So tonight, I am going to try again after:
1. adding the power field to the cycling watch face. its something you can only do on the watch, and its tricky to do
2. rewatch the power pod 'connect' your device.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Put the speed sensor on your front hub. This is where the instructions say it needs to be located.
John Hamann
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

I will move the hub sensor to the front, but this bit was working, I managed to extract data from the pod via the issac software, so I know that bit it working.

The Fenix 6 watch will not record any power data for running unless you have the power field added to your active watch face, so I suspect the same may be true for the power pod. I have reconfigure the watch face.

The Garmin connect program is including a extra graph for power, but is supplying zero data, which I assume means that Fenix must of had a chant with the power pod, but got no data.
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Fat lot of use that was!

Sensor now mount of front wheel.

Garmin confirms all sensors are working, power indicator was observed going from 0-50, 50-100

Assume it was configured, went for a ride after wards, pressed button to go, did ride, no power data recorded. Watched video again, could not see where I went wrong!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I don't understand where the problem is. Is your PP not recording power data? Do you have a .ibr ride file?

Is power displayed on your Garmin?
John Hamann
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Fat lot of use that was!

Sensor now mount of front wheel.

Garmin confirms all sensors are working, power indicator was observed going from 0-50, 50-100

Assume it was configured, went for a ride after wards, pressed button to go, did ride, no power data recorded. Watched video again, could not see where I went wrong!
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Had another go, sensors all connect, led set at green.

Does a 0-50 button press, 50-100 power button press. Turns it self off, no leds. Suggest is gone in to calibation mode?

Press switch, constant green, get data out of it, after about 10 mintues it turns itself off, what the heck is going on ?
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:13 pm I don't understand where the problem is. Is your PP not recording power data? Do you have a .ibr ride file?

Is power displayed on your Garmin?
I think the issue is the calibration
First I am using a Garmin watch, not a bike computer. Its been my experience Garmin watches do not generate power data unless you have included it as an extra data field on the watch face.

I had done a clibration ride, the watch record 0-50 power, I pressed the button at 50,did the 50-100 and pressed the button as required.

I tried to do another ride, the power pod indicated a constant green on its led, and then turned itself off.
Same thing with the next 3 rides, it generated no data.

I tried another ride, the watch and pod did the 0-50 button press, and 50-100 bit again. I stopped at 100. Pressed the button again and got on with my ride.
The generated results indicate a smooth power curve up to 100, then a pause, then some more data.

So it looks like it did a calibration. I set it going again and it dropped out

I think its getting the sensor data, but I don't think the calibration is working correctly
mir

Post by mir »

dave potts wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:13 pm I tried another ride, the watch and pod did the 0-50 button press, and 50-100 bit again. I stopped at 100. Pressed the button again and got on with my ride.
You must not press any buttons when you get to 50. Simply stop and turn around and the counting will continue until 100 is reached. Again don't press any buttons. Then after a few seconds you should see normal power readings.
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Thank for the advice, I will another go
dave potts

Post by dave potts »

Finally got it configured.

Comments
1. If you go for a ride in Garmin mountain bike mode and record a road event, it works as expected you do not have to reset the power pod. It stays connect to Fenix.
2. Unlike running the Fenix 6 will record your power without having to have the power being displayed on the watch face.
3. I discovered several drop outs when the power when to zero, I was freewheeling down a hill, not expending any energy while not pedaling.

Just wondering what a power output setting I should see for riding along at 15 kpm