Almost fixed my Cadence = 65335 issue

lambrettaman

Almost fixed my Cadence = 65335 issue

Post by lambrettaman »

In this thread http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4349 I reported an issue with my PowerPod showing bad data on my Garmin for both Cadence and Power.

Velocomp fixed the USB issue (awesomely painlessly fast). But the display issue is still there. Everything is paired. I did a hard reset on the Garmin (for a mapping issue), so it is fresh.

I attached the .ibr file from today. The PowerPod collected data that looks about right. It just didn't share it with the Garmin (Fenix 5X on the latest firmware 6.00)

What's next?
Attachments
iBike_10_26_2017_0452_25_Miles.ibr
(371.14 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Almost fixed my Cadence = 65335 issue

Post by Velocomp »

The good news: your PowerPod is working perfectly. Nicely calibrated, too!

The bad news: if there is an issue, it is with your Garmin.

It would appear that your PP is not paired to your Garmin. Do the following:

1) wake up your speed and cadence sensors

2) click the button on PP. You should see solid green (meaning that PP is paired to the sensors)

3) Pair your sensors and PP to your Garmin. I don't know how to do a pairing on your Garmin. On my Garmin 820, I do know that I see a confirming message for each sensor that pairs, including the power sensor.

If you don't see proper pairing to your Garmin, you will need to contact Garmin.
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

It is absolutely paired. As soon as the green light comes on, the cadence shows 65335.

Also, every other thing works with the Garmin. HR, Cadence, Speed sensors work perfectly... Until I turn the PowerPod on.

Could this be a cause?
My PowerPod is paired twice.

PWR - 4476
PWR - PowerPod
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Attached are the sensor IDs of the ride file you sent.

Your cadence ID is 29744.

Something is not right with your Garmin's pairing or your Garmin's setup. I think you should contact Garmin support.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.52.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.52.47 PM.png (304.04 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

Got it.

To be clear, the 65335 is what the cadence display shows, not the cadence sensor ID.

I worked with Garmin already (before I contacted you guys) on this and they thought the Cadence Sensor was bad so they sent me a new one.

What about a reset on my PowerPod and start over?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your PowerPod is working perfectly. Most certainly you can reset it but I don't think that will have any effect.

Note that if you reset PP your date/time will be wrong until the next time you connect PP to Isaac.

65335 sounds like a hexadecimal overflow number. I am quite suspicious that your Garmin is whacked-out.
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

Unfortunately it is that or abandon the PowerPod.

My Garmin works 100% fine in every other way until it sees the PowerPod.
Velocomp wrote:Your PowerPod is working perfectly. Most certainly you can reset it but I don't think that will have any effect.

Note that if you reset PP your date/time will be wrong until the next time you connect PP to Isaac.

65335 sounds like a hexadecimal overflow number. I am quite suspicious that your Garmin is whacked-out.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We have sold thousands and thousands of PP. Most owners pair PP to Garmin units.

Other than your PP, we have had zero reports of pairing problems. This, and the fact that your replacement PP is showing the same problem as the original PP, is why I believe something is flaky with your Garmin.

I suggest the following:

1) With PP off, please pair your speed and cadence sensors to your Garmin. Take photos from your Garmin, showing the wireless ID for speed and cadence sensors

2) With PP off, and with your bike not moving spin the wheel of your bike and turn its crank. Confirm that you see speed and cadence in the Garmin window.

3) Now, awaken PP and pair it to your Garmin (your speed and cadence sensors will need to be awake).

4) Take photos showing speed, cadence and power sensor ID numbers

5) Confirm whether or not the Garmin is working properly

6) Move PP at least 100 feet away from your bike (or put it into a microwave). This will decouple PP from the Garmin.

7) Does the Garmin now work properly?
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

Just don't turn on the microwave oven ... ;)
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

I totally get that and understand.

I'll give this a whirl next weekend. I like the PP a lot. I hope it works.
Velocomp wrote:We have sold thousands and thousands of PP. Most owners pair PP to Garmin units.

Other than your PP, we have had zero reports of pairing problems. This, and the fact that your replacement PP is showing the same problem as the original PP, is why I believe something is flaky with your Garmin.
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

We don't have a microwave anymore. We did an experiment a couple years ago when we moved to see if we would miss it. 90% of the time we don't :)
GooseRider wrote:Just don't turn on the microwave oven ... ;)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, I have some input from our firmware developer:

1) PowerPod cannot transmit cadence numbers above 254. If you are seeing a cadence reading of 65335, then the problem is in how the Garmin is interpreting the cadence information

2) Your ride file shows that PowerPod is properly receiving cadence sensor data.

3) In accordance with the ANT standard (and remember that Garmin owns ANT), PowerPod transmits a single packet of data once per second, that includes both the power number and the cadence number (REPEAT: this "combined packet" is STANDARD; think about a crank power meter, where the crank provides both power and cadence info).

4) If you have paired your speed and cadence sensors to your Garmin, and also your PowerPod to the Garmin, then your Garmin is receiving cadence from TWO sources: the cadence sensor, and the PowerPod "combined packet"

5) We have no idea how Garmin deals with "reception" of multiple cadence signals, but if your description is correct, it appears that the Garmin is not properly handling the situation. THIS IS A GARMIN BUG

6) As a potential workaround for the bug, we suggest the following:

A. Wake up your speed sensor only, being very careful not to wake up your cadence sensor (don't turn the crank)

B. Wake up the PowerPod (light will show solid green)

C. Place your Garmin close to your bike, go into the Garmin bike profile you're using, and do a new sensor pairing for your Garmin. Your Garmin should find the speed sensor and the PowerPod. It should NOT find the cadence sensor.

D. Confirm that there is a "0" for the cadence sensor ID in the Garmin (use the Speed/Cadence Sensor Details screen)

E. Now, do a short bike ride. You should see speed (from the speed sensor), power (from the PowerPod) and cadence (also from the PowerPod).

I have personally confirmed that PP is sending the cadence signal, and that with Garmin cadence ID set to zero (not paired), that the Garmin will show correct cadence numbers. I am using a Garmin 810 (firmware 6.10, the latest version available). We have also tested this with a 510 and 520.

For what it's worth, I have ALSO confirmed that, when my 810 is paired to my cadence sensor (Garmin shows cadence ID in its profile), my Garmin shows correct cadence data on the Garmin, even though PP is transmitting cadence data as well.

This is a Garmin bug...
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

Wow!

Thanks for that super thorough post!

That all makes a ton of sense. I wish I knew what changed that caused the rift between my Garmin and my PP. They got along so well for months.

I'll give all your suggestions a whirl and let you know.

Thanks for the awesomely high level of support here for turning around the repair request so fast.

Mike
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lambrettaman wrote:Wow!

I wish I knew what changed that caused the rift between my Garmin and my PP. They got along so well for months.

I'll give all your suggestions a whirl and let you know.

Mike
By any chance, has there been a recent Garmin FW update?
John Hamann
lambrettaman

Post by lambrettaman »

And we are fixed. I followed the instructions above, and links to the photos are below.

The problem was that my Garmin had the PowerPod twice. Once with an ID number and once with the word PowerPod.

I had a hypothesis that that was the issue so I deleted one from the Garmin (I chose the one with the word PowerPod). And deleting this from the Garmin worked! It was the root cause.

First, no overflow in the cadence display!

Second, after a couple miles, I started getting power readings in the 3s avg power display. I'm assuming it will start showing this instantaneously like it used to, correct?

Thanks for taking care of me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j5jRr6qlw9fqEU792
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cgSqdzpCuByIZzAs2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1jwlaApds5QADHX13
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eoOWxceJshya88mo1