Powerpod Working, but Garmin 1000 Display Drops Out

the shovel

Powerpod Working, but Garmin 1000 Display Drops Out

Post by the shovel »

My Powerpod has been working well recently, but yesterday after I paired it with my Garmin 1000 the Garmin power reading did not display as usual, but dropped out intermittently, often showing zero watts, but sometimes showing the wattage I would expect for this ride.

After the ride, I uploaded the Powerpod ride file to my computer, and it looks normal - it's within a few percentage points of my ride on the same route ~ 2 months ago. I conclude that my PowerPod is functioning normally, but I have questions about whether it is connecting properly with my Garmin 1000.

The cadence and speed sensors on my bike are new ~ 2 months ago. The Powerpod was recharged the day before the ride.

I've attached screen shots of my Isaac screen after the ride showing the expected readings during the ride, and a screen shot of what my Garmin recorded to Garmin Connect. The difference between the power-time relationship in the two graphs is my concern.

Any suggestions on what might have caused this, and what can be done to correct it?

Thanks,
Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 6.08.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 6.08.52 AM.png (186.87 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 6.10.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 6.10.07 AM.png (137.3 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod Working, but Garmin 1000 Display Drops Out

Post by Velocomp »

Please post your ride file
John Hamann
optiplus

Post by optiplus »

Hi,

Since I have buy the powerstroke and gps upgrade key´s I have the same problem,

I have the PP on the same bike for a long time, without any change, and randomly happens this problem, I try to understand why one day is okay, and the next day the communication between Garmim and PP fails.
The recording of the data in the PP works perfectly, as well as the recording of the data in the Garmin, only fails to record the watts in Garmin, which are recorded but with many failures.
On the day everything goes back to working well the PP in the first few minutes does something like a self calibration, because the values are too high (I can not confirm)
One thing I've already discovered ... is that it happens more often if the garmin is not turned off, because if it is turned off it rarely happens.
I also noticed when it has connection failures if we disconnect the garmi and return to connect sometimes solves the problem on the first attempt, others have to do more than once.

Video about the problem:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rciGLfSy9EmLEby02
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

iBike_10_27_2017_1417_27_km.ibr
(527.03 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Two points:

1) PP is an ANT transmitter device (Garmin is an ANT receiver device). PP does not receive data from the Garmin

2) PowerStroke and GPS keys have zero effect on ANT operation.

I cannot think of any obvious reason why this problem may be happening.

Here are two things to try:

1) Hard-reset the PP and see if this clears up the problem (hard-reset will reset the ANT radio in PP)

2) PP transmits power and cadence in the same packet of information. So,set up your Garmin so that it receives its cadence signal from PP (instead of directly from the cadence sensor). If cadence drops out, as well as power, this will be valuable to know. Here is how to do this:

A. Wait 20 minutes so that both speed and cadence sensors are asleep

B. Awaken your speed sensor ONLY (don't turn the crank on your cadence sensor)

C. Awaken your PP.

D. Do a fresh pairing sequence on your Garmin. You should find speed and power sensors. Cadence sensor should NOT be found (ID will be zero)

E. Do a ride with this configuration. You should see cadence on your Garmin, coming in the same packet as power

Please post ride files and let me know what you find!
John Hamann
optiplus

Post by optiplus »

Velocomp wrote:Two points:

1) PP is an ANT transmitter device (Garmin is an ANT receiver device). PP does not receive data from the Garmin
:arrow: yes it´s the true

2) PowerStroke and GPS keys have zero effect on ANT operation.
:arrow: but the problem for me only appeared after this operation, at the time I made 3 or 4 hardresets and put the keys back but no solution

I cannot think of any obvious reason why this problem may be happening.
:arrow: I had never reported this problem because I also find something unexplained, as no one else talked about it I started to think it would be a problem of my Garmin, until I saw that I was not the only one

Here are two things to try:

1) Hard-reset the PP and see if this clears up the problem (hard-reset will reset the ANT radio in PP)

2) PP transmits power and cadence in the same packet of information. So,set up your Garmin so that it receives its cadence signal from PP (instead of directly from the cadence sensor). If cadence drops out, as well as power, this will be valuable to know. Here is how to do this:

A. Wait 20 minutes so that both speed and cadence sensors are asleep

B. Awaken your speed sensor ONLY (don't turn the crank on your cadence sensor)

C. Awaken your PP.

D. Do a fresh pairing sequence on your Garmin. You should find speed and power sensors. Cadence sensor should NOT be found (ID will be zero)

E. Do a ride with this configuration. You should see cadence on your Garmin, coming in the same packet as power
:arrow: Next week I will do this experiment and see if we can discover this mystery

Please post ride files and let me know what you find!