Powerpod & Lezyne computers

X-Axis

Powerpod & Lezyne computers

Post by X-Axis »

Has anyone had any luck getting a Lezyne Super GPS to display powerpod power readings. I am considering getting a powerpod to go with my Lezyne computer but from the one topic I have seen a private conversation between Velocomp and a user resulted in the user purchasing a new computer (garmin).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod & Lezyne computers

Post by Velocomp »

You're correct that there was one user who reported problems.

One thing I do see from their website that the Lezyne requires a combined ANT/BLE combined speed/cadence sensor. I know that Wahoo makes such a sensor...

I will see if I can borrow a Lezyne from someone, and will report back.
John Hamann
X-Axis

Post by X-Axis »

The Lezyne sensors that ship with the units are Bluetooth only and this goes with most of the Lezyne Computer range being Bluetooth only.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

That would explain the problem!

Lezyne users will need to purchase and use ANT/BLE sensors, such as those available from Wahoo. These will allow operation with PowerPod and Lezyne simultaneously.
John Hamann
X-Axis

Post by X-Axis »

But the Super GPS unit I mention is a dual Ant+ and Bluetooth computer so should work fine with Ant+ sensors which seemed to be the problem that the previous individual I mentioned was having but the solution for him was a new computer? As I understand the sensors are purely radio transmitters and can have multiple connections?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I have ordered a Lezayne GPS computer. As soon as I have tested it I will report my findings here.
John Hamann
X-Axis

Post by X-Axis »

Wow that's awesome, hopefully you can give the definitive word. If it helps I've ordered a Powerpod and will also try report back I didn't get the Bluetooth Powerpod so can't report if it works with the Lezyne Bluetooth Speed/cadence sensors.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, I received a Lezyne Super GPS bike computer today:

0) Before working with it I upgraded its firmware to the latest version

1) User manual is really sparse but eventually I figured out how to get it into sensor pairing mode

2) No speed and cadence sensors were supplied with the unit

3) Unit says it is compatible with both ANT and BLE

4) I confirmed that it works with ANT speed, cadence, and PP power sensors

5) I confirmed that it works with a Wahoo BLE combined speed/cadence sensor

6) It "sees" the PowerPod BLE power signal, but it does not pair with the PowerPod in BLE mode

We are guessing about this, but our suspicion is that in BLE mode the Lezyne is looking for some kind of calibration confirmation signal from the BLE power sensor. As you know, PowerPod does not require any calibration.

Requiring a power calibration signal confirmation is not part of the BLE power sensor spec.

This unit will work well as an ANT+ bike computer, but it is not truly BLE compatible.

For what it's worth I'm not impressed by the features of the device; I would get a Garmin. But that's just my opinion...
John Hamann
X-Axis

Post by X-Axis »

So to confirm the Lezyne Super GPS pairs and displays power from the PowerPod in Ant+ mode?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, Lezyne works perfectly in ANT mode.
John Hamann
X-Axis

Post by X-Axis »

Great just what I wanted to hear!
Hopefully my Powerpod arrives some day....
If you are interested in a New Zealand distributor feel free to contact me as ordering from overseas is a bore!