Cal wind changed: need new cal ride?

livestrong13

Cal wind changed: need new cal ride?

Post by livestrong13 »

Hello all,

Today, i did a bad handling. When i was in the setup menu of my Newton, i made the mistake to press the "center button" while "Cal Wind" was selected. "Cal Wind" flashed on the Newton screen and i think a new Cal Wind was taken in account.

I have 2 options i think:

1. How can i return to the default/initial "Cal Wind" (factory presets)? Because i had done my "Cal Ride", done with this "Can Wind"...

2. The other solution is to redo a good "Cal Wind" (ambiant temperature and protected location with no wind). But is my "Cal Ride" still "valid with a new "Cal Wind?

I need your help. Thanks in advance!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Cal wind changed: need new cal ride?

Post by Velocomp »

Cal Wind fine tunes the wind sensor. If you did a Cal Wind in a non-windy place, then your result is good.

It's OK to do another Cal Wind, and it's not necessary to do a new cal ride.
John Hamann
livestrong13

Post by livestrong13 »

Thanks a lot for your reactivity.

Nice! So I will do a new Cal Wind with my actual Cal ride.

Last question: The non windy place can be inside at home, or necessarily outside? I mean optimal prerequisites like location, temperature and the air pressure are required to keep the better accuracy?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Non windy place can be anywhere.
John Hamann
livestrong13

Post by livestrong13 »

Ok.

I forgot to ask you. Does the "Cal Wind" the same for all profiles (one wind calibration for the unit, so common for all profiles) or unique per profile (one wind calibration for one profile)?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Cal Wind is a system-wide parameter. You only need to do it once and it will work with all your profiles.
John Hamann
livestrong13

Post by livestrong13 »

I did what you said. Yesterday, i did a "Cal Wind" in my home (temperature around 20°C or more) without wind. After that it showed me around 0.0, that seemed perfect.
Today, i started my Newton and the "Cal Wind" value was still to 0.0 before the ride. During my ride (outside temperarure was around 10°C), i noticed that wind values (same page as the slope value) took most of the time negative values. After my ride done, i checked the "Cal wind" value in the setup menu of my Newton and the value was at this time around - 3.5.

I'm scared that my power value can be false for my next rides... The temperature could have affected this change of the "Cal Wind" value? What can i do?

Thanks in advance.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, the negative value will cause apparent tail winds.

Do a Cal Wind before your next ride, once your Newton has acclimated to outdoor temperature. That should correct things.
John Hamann
livestrong13

Post by livestrong13 »

I did what you said. A "Cal Wind" just before my ride. I let my Newton few minutes outside, in a non windy place with same conditions (temperature ect.) of the ride.

And it worked well! The wind values seemed consistent during the ride. At the end, just after the ride, i have checked the "Cal Wind" in the Newton setup menu and it was very closed to 0.0.
It's a good news! I just have to verify that this behaviour is confirmed for my next rides.

So, what can i concluded?
Is it advised to do a "Cal Wind" before each ride i will do? Or this "Cal Wind" is now valid for all rides i will do? Or just to redo a "Cal Wind" when there is a siginificant change of temperature?
nsidirop

Post by nsidirop »

I usually do Cal wind only a couple of times per year spread out over the season. This covers the outdoor tempertature variations enough for acceptable accuracy at least for the place where I live.
If it happens to be extremely cold or warm the day you ride you could do an extra Cal wind, just don't forget to do another one before next ride if the temperature is much different.
I do the Cal wind outdoors after the Newton has been "acclimitized" for 5-10 min. I simply place my hand over the air intake if I can't find a wind free spot.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

nsidirop wrote:I usually do Cal wind only a couple of times per year spread out over the season. This covers the outdoor tempertature variations enough for acceptable accuracy at least for the place where I live.
If it happens to be extremely cold or warm the day you ride you could do an extra Cal wind, just don't forget to do another one before next ride if the temperature is much different.
I do the Cal wind outdoors after the Newton has been "acclimitized" for 5-10 min. I simply place my hand over the air intake if I can't find a wind free spot.
Well said!
John Hamann