Newton not working well with latest firmware

ScottChapman

Newton not working well with latest firmware

Post by ScottChapman »

I just updated firmware on the newton this weekend (been extremely flawless prior).

It seemed to ride OK yesterday, but today was a bit of a disaster.

First, I noticed that it didn't pick up any of my sensors, so I stopped and went through the pairing process. It found my speed/cadence/HR just fine, but also seemed to find DFPM (which I don't have and I wasn't near anyone that had one).
At this point I was getting speed/cadence but it was showing no power at all (it would show incline when I was climbing, so not a tilt issue).

Later in the ride I tried pairing again, it was a bit flakier this time. It found one sensor, then dropped it, then found it again. Did the same for DFPM (found, drop, found again) again no power meter in sight.

Still not showing power at all...

Ideas?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Newton not working well with latest firmware

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a ride file
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

here you go. Looks like it did record power, just didn't display nor did it transmit to my garmin
Attachments
iBike_07_07_2015_1136_21_Miles.ibr
(221.57 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your profile does, indeed, include a DFPM sensor ID.

And judging from your ride file, it looks like you were riding in a group.

Here's my guess:

1) When you stopped and did a Scan, for whatever reason it found a power sensor ID. Note that if anyone else in your group was riding with a Newton, that Newton was broadcasting power signals...

2) Your Newton display is set to show DFPM power. So, your Newton showed 0 power after the scan

I suggest you do a new Scan in a place where you have no other bikes around. This should get rid of the DFP Found message, and you will be able to see power in your Newton.

FW 508 did nothing to change our scan procedure or sensor finding mechanism, so I don't think it had anything to do with your problem.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

When I first did the pairing I thought it might have picked up a DFPM from someone I was riding with, but he was a good 50 yards away.

The second time I did the pairing (which is also when I got the odd pairing/unpairing behavior) no one was anywhere near me.

I can try again next time I ride and see if I can get them all paired properly again.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ScottChapman wrote:When I first did the pairing I thought it might have picked up a DFPM from someone I was riding with, but he was a good 50 yards away.

The second time I did the pairing (which is also when I got the odd pairing/unpairing behavior) no one was anywhere near me.

I can try again next time I ride and see if I can get them all paired properly again.
It surprises me some times to see how sensitive the ANT+ Scan process is.

When you do your next Scan, be on the lookout for a "dfP Found" message. If you see one that's a problem.

What you will hopefully see is a "dfP Off" message, meaning that there is no DFPM meter.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Yup. Will do.
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

OK, so things were working mostly fine for about a month. Pairing just worked.

But again this week it started flaking out on me in exactly the same way.

It started by thinking it had been paired with a DFPM (which it never had been) and failed, so it would show no power.

So, I would need to go through the pairing process again (no bikes anywhere in site) and it would again give flaky results pairing and repairing spd & cadence. Then always end with DFPM fail.

I would do it repeatedly from different locations, very isolated. similar results. EVentually I just gave up and rode, not getting any power displayed.

Then today when I rode, it didn't pair anything for a while when I started to ride (my garmin paired with everything immediately). About half a mile into the ride I got another DFPM fail message, but now it was picking up everything and working properly (speed, cadence AND power!). SO I am leaving it alone.

Still. this is very odd...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is totally bizarre. You might want to try a hard reset on your unit.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Just did that will see how it goes. I notice when I look at the profile in Issac is shows an ID for DFPM, I presume I should tell it to forget DFPM?

Also in the setting of the unit should I turn of DFP Display?
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

so, after hard reset, and explicitly removing DFP from wireless list, I still am having re-pairing problems.

Again today when I rode, my Garmin 520 paired with speed/cadence right away. But my Newton did not, eventually showed SPD Fail.

Once I hit the center button to clear the message it was all paired and everything working fine...

Not sure what to do next...