New Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor

JulianBoulter

New Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor

Post by JulianBoulter »

Hi Guys,

Will ibike support this: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garm ... nsors.html

I need a speed/cadence sensor for my new TT bike but Garmin have stopped making the GCS-10 unit I have fitted to all my other bikes. This is the bit of the review Im not sure about:

Now it’s important to note that because the two sensors don’t use the ‘combo’ ANT+ profile that some devices don’t support them. Mostly older devices. These days almost everything major on the market supports the three core profiles of: Speed-only, Cadence-only and Speed/Cadence combo. To refresh, here’s how those three profiles are applied in real-life:

ANT+ Speed-only: The new magnet-less speed sensor
ANT+ Cadence-only: The new magnet-less cadence sensor
ANT+ Speed & Cadence Combo: The older GSC-10 combo sensor

PS there seems to be something wrong with the forum when I view active topics, even though there are recent active posts it never shows me anything irrespective of what time period I choose
JulianBoulter

Re: New Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor

Post by JulianBoulter »

Anyone?

I really need to get hold of a new Speed Cadence sensor soon as I cant use my ibike until I do!

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Before we had combined speed/cadence sensors we used separate speed and cadence sensors.

So yes, the new Garmin sensors will work!
John Hamann
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

I have these sensors and yes they work fine with the Newton, there is only one thing that is weird, the cadence sensor starts where it went to sleep. So for things like powerstroke, where to work correctly it needs to know where the the trigger point is on the revolution, ie the chain stay and more specifically above or below it, the fact that the new Garmin does not have a defined trigger location. So this can be a bit of an issue. If however you allowed the sensor to stop/ go to sleep at the right position then it will trigger where it should. I confirmed this through Garmin. Other than that it works perfectly with the Newton.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Thanks for the tip about the go-to-sleep of the cadence sensor. That is a clever solution!
John Hamann
JulianBoulter

Post by JulianBoulter »

Thanks for the response guys, ordering one now!
:)