Battery life

prancingwombat

Battery life

Post by prancingwombat »

Thought I'd give some feedback here on battery life.

Yesterday I did a 100km ride with my ibike dash +power. I fully charged my iPhone 4s and set the brightness to half, wifi off and Bluetooth off. I did not use the spare battery because I wanted to see how far the iPhone would go.

It ran for 4hours 40 min, logging the whole time before I quite ibike. The phone had 18% left.

I'm very happy with this, it means the iPhone can cover all the riding I do easily.
magnavaladrien

Re: Battery life

Post by magnavaladrien »

Hi, i would like to how you get the battery life cause i using two optional ibike battery and some time i didin't succes to finish my ride (5 houres).
I put luminosity to lowest level, turn of bluetooth an wifi, deasable automatic luminosity option an notification but ...
Sorry for my english language but it is not my native language.
Sorry for my english language but it is not my native language
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

prancingwombat wrote:Thought I'd give some feedback here on battery life.

Yesterday I did a 100km ride with my ibike dash +power. I fully charged my iPhone 4s and set the brightness to half, wifi off and Bluetooth off. I did not use the spare battery because I wanted to see how far the iPhone would go.

It ran for 4hours 40 min, logging the whole time before I quite ibike. The phone had 18% left.

I'm very happy with this, it means the iPhone can cover all the riding I do easily.
This is great!

Which version of iOS is on your 4S?
John Hamann
prancingwombat

Post by prancingwombat »

V 5.0.1

I made sure the battery was fully charged.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is an excellent result!
John Hamann
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

I'm in iphone 4S ios5.0.1 but i didn't have the same result and i asking why.
Perhaps cause i ride in -4 C?
Whitch option i can diseable to get more battery life??
prancingwombat

Post by prancingwombat »

Cold would not help. It was 30c on my ride (Australia)

Turn off wifi
Turn off Bluetooth
Close down all other apps (double click the home button then hold down on one of the running apps until you see a minus sign. Kill them all)
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

I had try everythings you said so it could be dew to the cold!!
Thanks for your help and good ride
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

I had found some 1500 mA batteries compatible.
Original ibike are 900 mA so if velocomp accept, i will post more informations about this batteries.
I will test them this week end!!
:P
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

I tested the 6 battery than i bye a few days ago.
So the ibike battery is 900mA and my battery are 1500mA.
I had used the two ibike battery and the six battery 1500mA to get 6 hour run in cold temperature with and iphone full charged before.
So i think than the temperature is the ennemy of ibike battery life and all li-ion battery to.
Today, 6 hour by -4 C. :roll:
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

i will try to make a cold protection for ibike and i will test it in cold condition to compare.
ellislo

Post by ellislo »

Did a 70km dawn ride, 3 hrs, temperature 25 deg celcius, battery left 78%, start with fully charged iBike battery and iPhone.
prancingwombat

Post by prancingwombat »

More interesting feedback.

Today I decided to extend my commute home by and extra 50km. My iPhone was showing 58% battery at the time and I thought there was no way it would last. I set the brightness to almost invisible since I was not really interested in seeing the display, just the logging. Well it ran for the whole 75km ride (3hours). I was getting battery low warning towards the end and I think it finished at 5% but it still made it home. :mrgreen:

This is without the bike battery BTW.
RGA

Post by RGA »

The longest total time on a cycling event, including stops, has been about 5.5 hrs and I had 35% battery life left. This has been with my iPhone 4 and a bike app (cyclemeter) with speed and cadence sensors. I'm waiting for my iDash+Power unit to come in and I'm interested if I can get the same or similar results.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza
sun

Post by sun »

iDash use kodak's KLIC-7003 compatible battery.
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

The max i found is 1500 mA!!
If some body find more capacity, please say to me!!
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

Perhaps in cold condition, the iphone stop recharge to pretect inside battery lion himself???
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please note that any battery used with the iBike Dash, other than that sold by Velocomp, voids the warranty.
John Hamann
sun

Post by sun »

Velocomp wrote:Please note that any battery used with the iBike Dash, other than that sold by Velocomp, voids the warranty.
One 900mAh battery is not enough for all day riding.
Therefore, you have to provide large-capacity battery on KLIC-7003's market prices.
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

He everybody, some of you success to get more powered battery life with ios configuration?
I think there are some security in iphone than stop charging when temperature is to cold but a didn't know with temperature it is!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 5.1 I saw a significant increase in battery life, both the iPhone battery life and the QuickSwap rechargeable battery life.
John Hamann
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

For me, when i put a ibike battery in the case, the charging sight an sound play one seconde an deasapeare rapidly.
But my iphone battery deacrease slowly but not anouth for a ride of 4hour. I need to use 8 battery an turn off bluetooth, 3g, luminosity wifi etc!! an all background apps are closded.
RGA

Post by RGA »

magnavaladrien wrote:For me, when i put a ibike battery in the case, the charging sight an sound play one seconde an deasapeare rapidly.
But my iphone battery deacrease slowly but not anouth for a ride of 4hour. I need to use 8 battery an turn off bluetooth, 3g, luminosity wifi etc!! an all background apps are closded.
Magnavaladrien, Make sure that the battery contacts are making contact with the two springs inside of the case. I had to adjust the springs in my case to align them up with the battery pad. Remove the tray so you can see the springs and the battery.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

Thanks but i did this before ann i'm the spring contact are both ok cause i hear a song when i close the case so! but the charging icone deasapeare rapidly after close the case.
RGA

Post by RGA »

magnavaladrien wrote:Thanks but i did this before ann i'm the spring contact are both ok cause i hear a song when i close the case so! but the charging icone deasapeare rapidly after close the case.
You need to visually check the connections and not just go by the sounds (song). Mine did exactly the same thing as yours but after adjusting the springs the charging kept going until the battery died out.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

Ok thanks RCA, in my home look good, the charging icone battery stay on , but now i have to test it in a cold outdoor condition to look if the charge continue to work.
In apps coath, there is no charging icone battery when a record ride is tunr on so it will not be easy to know if the battery continue to charge or not
magnavaladrien

Post by magnavaladrien »

So i confirm that temperature have a important action on batteries. I make a ride in 10 C temperature and i hade use only 3 batteries so!!! VELOCOMP, can you in the future version of phone case use a isolation for cold outdoor temperature?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

magnavaladrien wrote:So i confirm that temperature have a important action on batteries. I make a ride in 10 C temperature and i hade use only 3 batteries so!!! VELOCOMP, can you in the future version of phone case use a isolation for cold outdoor temperature?
Shorter battery life in cold temperatures is a fact of nature. The only workaround is to carry more batteries on a cold ride.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

If you need more information on batteries and temperature - study the topic of electrochemistry and the Nernst equation. Google or Wikipedia work well in this regard.

Tom
Millmouse

Post by Millmouse »

Don't pick on the guy! he's the only one seriously trying to test this product.
I bought it because i used run keeper and thought it would be great.
First I was disappointed cause it had no european plug, just the us version. I bought it trough Apple store and there solution was to refund the money.
Then i couldn't figure out what app to use and the link on the supplied paper in the box was not working.
I cannot get it to calibrate cannot get sensors to work and it makes a hideous rattling sound when I ride but above all it drains my iPhone battery within 3hrs!!

I think magnavaladrien is giving serious feedback to you velocomb so listen and don't serve him off by saying warranty will be void if another battery is used. This is good feedback from a user of your product.

As you may know cyclist are talking about equipment just as well as they actually ride. My cycling buddies are not so sure this is a good purchase because of battery life and the fact I have to carry 5-6 batteries on an day ride!! We spent fortunes on making our bike lighter and then start carrying around 6 heavy batteries?!