Best way to track intervals

Bike4Him

Best way to track intervals

Post by Bike4Him »

I track my TSS for each ride and set a weekly goal that is derived from breaking down a 5 month period into weekly periods.
I do intervals like 2 or 3 x 20's and some shorter durations as well.
There is also time warming up and riding home that add to TSS that I also track.

I have sent intervals from the software to the iBike to help me keep on track. I use the edit interval screen in the software.
Using this method shows (on screen) which interval I'm currently on, the time left for that interval, and the target wattage.
I have to watch the iBike a lot to see where I'm at with regard to the watts I'm putting out and I don't know if I'm really on track or not until I'm done and back at the computer where I download the ride and then analyze a segment of the ride that represents the interval...lots of work.

Would it be better to use the interval tracking found in the Fit Train screen that show the average watts per interval?
This way I could set the intervals in the spreadsheet I've created and then just memorize or print it out for the day.
I could then find the TSS from the iBike to enter into my training plan and only download to the computer if I want to dig further into the data.

Make sense? Any thoughts?
GWPOS

Re: Best way to track intervals

Post by GWPOS »

I have found the best way to do intervals is not using the ones you set up in the software. I used to do that but since then I go to the USER intervals on the IBike itself. If I am doing a variety of intervals I write them on my arm, but usually I am doing something like you which is 2-3x20 etc. In the user intervals screen you get to see avg power for that interval, current power output, time or length of inteval so far completed which falshes back and forth slowly with heart rate. All you have to do is remember to push the button when you start and end and interval. After you have done some intervals you can actually just push the up or down arrows on your unit to scan through and see the previous intervals you have completed. This works great when doing short Vo2 interval or anaerobic intervals so that you can figure out a stopping point. My friend love using the user intervals after I showed then how to use it. Hope this helps.
Bike4Him

Post by Bike4Him »

Perfect. Thanks for the reply.
That is what I hoped I could do.
I assume I will be able to see TSS, NP, and other info for the whole ride.
I'm still outside here in NC, but it won't be long and I'll be on the trainer.
I've considered buying a trainer key. Any thoughts?
GWPOS

Post by GWPOS »

Yes you can track all of that info for the whole ride. You can see it live after you exit the fit train/interval mode. The trainer key works ok...if you have a trainer on the list of trainer they have developed a power curve for. I did not, but used a friends power tap and got a good idea of watts at different speeds which I then used to create a custom trainer pofile. Hope this helps.
Bike4Him

Post by Bike4Him »

That's an idea. Kinetic has a power curve for my trainer that coorelates to speed.
I printed out the chart and might consider using an extra computer that I already have and just watch average speed / power.
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

Bike4Him wrote:I assume I will be able to see TSS, NP, and other info for the whole ride.
... Any thoughts?
If you're in any of the "training modes" you'll see your power, avg power, time for interval and HR. You'll have to exit trainer mode to see your other metrics.

As far as logging and tracking TSS, if you know the TSS for a 20m threshold ride just use that number or X3 for 3x20. The short amount of warmup, warmdown and time between intervals will only add a couple of points and will just get swallowed up in the big picture.

Also take a look at trainerroad.com, they have an app that's excellent for trainer sessions and it's free (for now) I don't care for their online solution but the standalone app works very well. You can use an ANT stick to pick up a wireless signal or if you're wired you can just hit the "play" button to have it run the exercise. Then it would be up to you to watch the power numbers on your iBike and keep up with the planned exercise.ANT sticks are available on eBay or Amazon for about $20. The stick captured the SPD/CAD from my sensor, the power from my iBike and my HR. Here's a link to a one hour trainer session from the other day. http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/8672.
Fernando
Bike4Him

Post by Bike4Him »

That opens up some options.
I am wired with the iBike right now. TrainerRoad will work with an ANT sensor and ANT Stick. $60 total or so.
Thanks for the link. TrainerRoad is a great idea.