Choosing an indoor trainer

gerrard

Choosing an indoor trainer

Post by gerrard »

I'm now on the hunt for a trainer to use with ibike. 3 that look like options for me are:
Elite Crono
CycleOps Fluid2 (has 4 profile in ibike)
CycleOps Magneto (has 2 profile in ibike)

The ones with multiple profile in ibike are all quite different profiles. Is this to cater for different models of the various trainers or something else? Anything I should know before jumping in and buying one?

I've also been given the attached spreadsheet with powetap data for a different trainer (Jet black). Is this data any use in building a trainer profile I could use, and what do I do with it (two sheets in file).

Cheers
Gerrard
gerrard

Re: Choosing an indoor trainer

Post by gerrard »

COuldn't attach xls. Here's a PDF
Attachments
Xl0000033.pdf
(24.74 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
lungbuster

Post by lungbuster »

Hi Gerrard,
My friends and team mates swear by the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for indoor workouts, heck, I even use it in the back yard on a cold day when I am time fatigued.
It has a profile in the trainer list.
Good luck in your search.
Regards
Wayne Gebert

http://www.coburgcycling.com.au
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Yep everything I've read about Kurt is great but is a much pricier option here in NZ
Mark_H

Post by Mark_H »

I use a Wattbike. No need for iBike on that bad boy :)
lungbuster

Post by lungbuster »

gerrard wrote:Yep everything I've read about Kurt is great but is a much pricier option here in NZ
Try the web. I bought a road machine and wheelset for less I would pay in Aus for a road machine alone. The shop I bough mine no longer supplies kk's.
You could try http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=1
Postage from the US can be a killer though so get a quote first.
Regards
Wayne Gebert

http://www.coburgcycling.com.au
gerrard

Post by gerrard »

Well just my luck that a few days after this discussion the rarely spotted (here in NZ anyway) Road Machine was on sale through a local online retailer so I snapped it up. Got to love the quiet and smoothness of it after a cheap mag trainer!

However two problems:

#1) Never considered this one before purchase: I do at least one low cadence session per week of 40sec power intervals. The problem is that by the time I'm getting up to the kind of speed/wattage I should be pushing for these is that it's not low cadence any more - creeping up above 70. I'm running a 50/34 chainring combo so could beef that up (but then suffer on the hills outside). Any other suggestions about how to get more resistance to keep the cadence lower?

#2) I did a threshold test on the trainer and came out with a result of 284w when testing on the road I can only get to 251w. No my threshold hasn't changed that much - I restested on the road only 2 weeks ago, and had avg heart rate within 1 beat when comparing indoor and outdoor rides. So what are my options for dealing with this?

a) edit the trainer resistance curve to match more closely what I get on the road?

b) calculate separate indoor and outdoor training ranges and set up a second profile (with different FTPs) in ibike to deal with these? That means I need to alter my FTP in WKO+ with every ride which is bit of pain but doable.

Any other thoughts on the above questions?

Cheers
Gerrard
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Did you ever find a solution?
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged