Outdoor Velodrome Calibration

Jabberwocky

Outdoor Velodrome Calibration

Post by Jabberwocky »

Hi,
I have easy and regular access to a large outdoor velodrome for training and testing.
I saw this post:
Velocomp wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:02 pm In a velodrome there is very little ground wind speed. Here is what to do:

1) Start the cal ride. Watts will climb slowly to 50
2) At the turnaround point (50W, solid red), do not turn around, but slow down to below 9 mph, until light starts flashing yellow and watts start climbing above 50.
3) Continue cal ride in the same direction until watts reach 100
that gave advice for calibration on an indoor velodrome.

It's easier for me to calibrate at the velodrome rather than doing a standard out and back calibration. I just wondered if this procedure would apply to an outdoor velodrome or would I have to approach it differently?
Many thanks for your help
Mark
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Outdoor Velodrome Calibration

Post by Velocomp »

An outdoor velodrome is a closed loop (a good thing).

If you're planning to do aero testing, make sure your AP is set to profile 4.

When calibrating AP at an outdoor velodrome, ride your loops up to the 50W point; the number will stall at 50 and the status light turn red. Slow down to a near stop (8 mph or less); the light will flash yellow. Do not turn around; rather, resume riding at your test pace until you reach 100W. Your AP is calibrated.
John Hamann
Jabberwocky

Re: Outdoor Velodrome Calibration

Post by Jabberwocky »

Many thanks John,
That's what I tried on Sunday and it all looked like good data so at least I know that I was right in my assumptions.
When I reviewed the data it saw so easy to tell the difference between a change in helmet to one I suspected was slower but never knew.
Now I have the evidence :D
Can't wait to get more slippery through the air now.