Cal Ride distance too short

ChrisW

Cal Ride distance too short

Post by ChrisW »

If I follow all of the instructions to do an AeroPod calibration ride then Isaac complains that my ride was too short - apparently it needs to be at least 1 mile long, but mine was a tiny bit short of this.

Let me explain what I did and someone can tell me if I'm missing something:

1. I ride out until the power shown on my Garmin climbs from 0 to 50.
2. I stop and turn around.
3. I ride back and the power keeps climbing up to 70 at about the point where I started.
4. I keep riding and the power eventually hits 100 and the Cal Ride is complete.

Apparently steps 1 and 3 are supposed to take about 3 minute, but they each took less than 2 minutes and I only traveled about 750 m (slightly under half a mile). So, the total ride distance of my Cal Ride was 1.55 km, or 60 meters short of 1 mile so Isaac refused to accept it.

I thought the problem might be that I had a downhill section on the outwards portion of my first Cal Ride, so I chose a flatter route for my next Cal Ride attempt and the same thing happened (maybe 1.58 km distance this time).

On my third attempt, I kept riding in step 1 after the power climbed to 50 and continued until I'd ridden at least 900 meters (about 0.6 miles) before stopping and turning around. This seems to have worked, although this time the road and wind conditions weren't at all ideal and I'm going to have to go out for a 4th attempt in better conditions.

It seems odd that the AeroPod is not aware of this 1 mile minimum length for the Cal Ride. Why doesn't it climb up to 50 more slowly to ensure that the Cal Ride is long enough? The AeroPod is connected to the speed sensor, so it must know what distance I've done because that is correctly recorded in the ride file.

I thought of 3 possible solutions:
1. The AeroPod Cal Ride procedure needs to be changed so that if you follow the instructions, the ride cannot be too short for Isaac's 1 mile limit.
2. Isaac's limit of 1 mile needs to be changed to be 1.5 km / 0.9 miles so that the current AeroPod Cal Ride procedure is sufficient.
3. I'm an idiot and didn't understand some of the instructions.

BTW, my AeroPod is running FW 7.14 with speed and DFPM connected and set to Profile 4.
michal

Re: Cal Ride distance too short

Post by michal »

double-check that you are in profile 4
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Cal Ride distance too short

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, I missed the original post.

The cal ride procedure happens in AP firmware, NOT in Isaac.

Your AP is working properly, and you most definitely are in profile 4 (I can tell because you reach the 70W mark at the starting point).

How long it takes to reach the 50W turnaround point depends on how fast you are going; a faster rider will reach the turnaround point sooner.

Again, Isaac does NOT process the cal ride; your AP does. If you try to re-analyze the cal ride in Isaac, you will run into the problems you are seeing.

One other point: the "cal ride" file is in a special format, very different from normal rides.

If you do an out-and-back NORMAL ride, at least 1 mile long in total, you can use Isaac to check calibration. But if you did a good cal ride, this is not necessary.
John Hamann