Ready to buy and use for real world testing?

russelldb

Ready to buy and use for real world testing?

Post by russelldb »

Hi,
If I buy the aeropod today, is it ready for real world use? Do I need wind free environments? Do I need car free roads?
If I use the local outdoor velodrome, is that better?
Do I do the analysis post ride?
How many laps/runs/distance on the outdoor velodrome do I need?
Dose the aeropod come with the software I need, and a description of the protocols I need to follow to get valuable results?

At the price, I'm ready to pull the trigger, if it is all I need to do aero tests in the real world.

Many thanks in advance if you have the patience to answer this barrage of questions

Russell
russelldb

Re: Ready to buy and use for real world testing?

Post by russelldb »

I should add, I have a PowerTap power meter, I just want the aero testing features
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I think these are great questions.

I will try to answer all of them, as honestly as I can:

1. We have had riders from around the world, testing prototypes in real-world conditions. We don't put any restrictions on them. We just look at their data and their comments.

In general, we like what we see, and so do our testers. Where we see CdA differences during rides is when road surfaces change significantly (Crr is assumed constant in AeroPod), or when other conditions fluctuate significantly (wind and slope). Over a period of a few minutes those fluctuations average out and the CdA number is well-defined, and consistent.

CdA is a VERY sensitive measurement, with differences as little as 1W contributing to CdA changes. If you're looking for highest-accuracy CdA measurements, consistent, repeatable wind and road conditions are important, as are calibration and bike/rider parameters. Accuracy means: what I measure today will be what I measure tomorrow. If your test conditions remain similar, your results will be similar.

2. We have a rider who has done outdoor velodrome testing. He got GREAT results (testing for effects of different equipment and ride position). A velodrome provides a consistent reference; it makes it easier to interpret results.

Another rider has done his testing on a quiet country road. He also got meaningful, repeatable results.

3. You can see your CdA while you ride; our riders like this feature very much, because they see immediately the effects of ride position changes on CdA. They use this to optimize the CdA/watts tradeoff. You'll find a link elsewhere on this forum where one tester got to a personal best TT by using the CdA feature to optimize his ride position.

Post analysis is available in Isaac. I find this useful for quantifying differences between my tests. For example, in my personal case, the difference between hoods and drops CdA is only about 0.005--this is hard to see on the road. But drops is a HELL of a lot more painful. Isaac shows me that my marginally more aero drops position is not worth the discomfort.

4. You'll get immediate feedback; what you want is for the number to "settle" around an average. I find that 6 minutes of data provides a good average.

5. We already have "beta" manuals with test protocols, and analysis methods. These have been used by our beta testers, with success. We know instructions are important, and we expect to add videos as well. Also, it will be fun to do a webinar.

I have a PT hub on my bike; it is GREAT for CdA testing.
John Hamann
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed reply.

It's that final point, the need for protocols/instructions that is dampening my enthusiasm at the moment. When might there be some instructions available that the non-expert aero tester can follow?

I have access to an outdoor velodrome, and could just use the Chung method, but being able to account for wind would be very valuable.

I might sneak a purchase onto my card. Thanks again
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

Damn, I did it.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Woohoo! Thank you!!

We will get very busy with instructions as soon as Eurobike ends.
John Hamann
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

Another question? Will there be the additional expense of the software upgrade key for the Isaac Wind Tunnel feature, or will that be bundled with the aeropod?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

AeroPod is our best unit, and we have included all available upgrades. No extra expense...
John Hamann
jonnytheroadie

Post by jonnytheroadie »

Saw Eurobike had posts on other Aero Sensor products. What are your thoughts on Notio Konect (from Argon 18) and Aerolab Sports sensors? How does Aeropod differentiate?