Reconnecting a PowerPod 3

nenad

Reconnecting a PowerPod 3

Post by nenad »

Need some help with reconnecting PowerPod v3. I had it configured for my road bike and used it a fair bit. During that time, the PP3 worked nicely, provided power input and was paired with my Edge 520.

Due to some unfortunate events (string of serious injuries) I hadn't riden a bike for almost two years. Recently, I dusted off the road bike, and the PP3 with it. Needless to say, it went without charging during that period. I have charged it properly, by leaving it to charge overnight a few times, plugged directly with a cable into my desktop USB port. It blinks red for a while, and then it stops after a while. It charges properly, and I believe it holds charge -- will come back to that later.
I tried to use it as it was a few rides to no avail. Then I tried to do a full reset. I updated the firmware to the latest with Isaac (it is currently on FW 9.02). I then erased all the profiles that were stored, and transferred a single one from Isaac. I also removed it from my Edge 520 and repaired it there.

This is what I now see:
  1. On a full charge, I press and hold the power button for 4 seconds. The PP3 led starts blinking green and it blinks like that for about a minute. My understanding is that during this minute it is looking for sensors. I do a few crank turns and spin the front wheel to wake up the sensors.
  2. After a minute, the led comes green solid, and that lasts for about 5 seconds. Then it goes out. I gather that the solid green led indicates it paired with my garming cadence (crank arm based) and speed sensors (on the front wheel hub).
  3. Next, I attempt to bring it into calibration mode. I understand the next press on the power button should do this and the led should turn orange. Sadly, this is where it falls apart for me. The led goes solid red immediately, and nothing happens after that. After a little while, the PP3 turns off.
Here are a few, perhaps relevant, observations:
  1. I changed the batteries on both sensors
  2. I have successfully pair the PP3 on the Edge 520 after having it deleted from there
  3. The sensors are well and alive, as the Edge 520 gets readings from both
  4. The PP3 charge holds. After a 2+ hour bike ride, I attempted to wake it up, and it went blinking green --> solid green --> solid red (on the next press). So I don't think it has a battery issue.
Have I missed a step, or am I doing anything wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. What baffles me is that it used to -- just work. And now... well, it just doesn't :-).

Many thanks!
Nenad
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Reconnecting a PowerPod 3

Post by Velocomp »

Please contact technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps
John Hamann
nenad

Re: Reconnecting a PowerPod 3

Post by nenad »

Ok, so looping back with an outcome, just in case someone else comes across the same problem.

It appears the PP3 didn't quite connect with the speed sensor due to a weak battery. Once I replaced the battery on the front wheel mounted Garmin speed sensor, the PP3 picked it up right away during sensor search. This was indicated by three quick red flashes during the green flashing 1 minute phase of sensor searching. After that, it continued blinking green, until it turned solid green for about 5 secs and then went off.

I took a deep breath and pressed the power button once. It came solid orange!! After that, I managed to get it to calibrate around the block. My PP3 is now transmitting power and once again... just working.

Thank you PP tech support for guiding me through this.
Nenad