Calibration & wind graph

doib

Calibration & wind graph

Post by doib »

Hello John,
i have a doubt about the calibration of my pp v3 on the road bike. It seems to me that the wind graph is too far from that of the speed and I had seen in your video that this happens when the calibration is not perfect. In fact, this does not happen if I use the pp with the mtb. I have to say that the average watts are pretty consistent between the two bikes, so maybe that's just my whim. I enclose two races with road bike and one with mtb, what do you think? is it possible to improve the calibration?
A thousand thanks

Davide
Attachments
iBike_2022_02_15_1611_22_km_ROAD.ibr
(393.67 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
iBike_2022_02_19_1010_32_km_ROAD.ibr
(487.7 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
iBike_2022_02_20_0853_25_km_MTB.ibr
(461.03 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Calibration & wind graph

Post by Velocomp »

It's important to understand the assumption underlying wind/bike speed comparisons...that assumption is that you are viewing a solo, out-and-back ride of just a few miles. Rides that are too long allow natural wind conditions to change. Group rides alter the natural wind.

I looked at your ride files. Race files can't be viewed for wind, because you likely have drafting involved. The MTB file looks fine.

I would leave things alone.
John Hamann
doib

Post by doib »

thanks john, these are two road workouts performed completely alone, on two different routes, one of which is often windy. I don't think there were any draft effect, except maybe those of the cars passing me. I will take a short o & b ride on an isolated road, to see if the graph improves.
thanks again, bye
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

doib wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:24 pm thanks john, these are two road workouts performed completely alone, on two different routes, one of which is often windy. I don't think there were any draft effect, except maybe those of the cars passing me. I will take a short o & b ride on an isolated road, to see if the graph improves.
thanks again, bye
Your two road bike rides did not look troublesome, but I draw no quantitative conclusions because they are not out-and-back rides.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Heed John’s words well.

The PP3/4 are great devices that depend on just some attention to a few details. A short calibration ride followed up with a few miles of out and back to verify the calibration works wonders. Short enough to avoid wind changes, traffic, other riders the you might ride with - and a good retrace of your path “out”. You do not have to ride like hell and this, just whatever you normally do during that ride -

Do that with some care and attention and you should not have to re-cal for a long time (significant tire pressure changes, weight changes - or a new bike!)

Enjoy a Power meter that does not cost an and and a leg!

Tom