PowerPod v3 not reporting power

droffsite

PowerPod v3 not reporting power

Post by droffsite »

Similar to an issue I had a while back requiring the meter to be sent in and (I believe) replaced, my PowerPod has stopped reporting power. When powered on, it shows power for a few seconds, up to a peak, then drops back to 0 and stays there. Recalibration hasn't helped (also hasn't reconnected with my HRM, though the monitor's ID shows in the profile).

I've attached a zip with 4 Garmin .fit files and the associated .ibr files. The oldest ride (January 8) is in 2 Garmin files. The meter was behaving for the first file, after which I paused for a few minutes, then went very high for some time before dropping off. It hasn't worked properly since. I note in the .ibr files that it is recording wind, speed, and cadence, just not power.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod v3 not reporting power

Post by Velocomp »

The problem is that, for reasons I do not know, your CdA changed from a reasonable value of 0.384, on your ride file 1/8/22 842AM, to a NEGATIVE, and totally incorrect, value of -1.166 on your 1/23 ride file. There are weird and changing CdA values in between, too.

When CdA is negative this will force watts to 0.

Also, your ride files show a DFPM ID. Are you riding with one?

I don't know why this is CdA change is happening, but if (for example) I change the 1/23 20 mile ride file to a positive 0.384, average watts are correct.

There is some bizarre reason your ride files have peculiar dates. Could it be you are doing hard resets between rides?

Set CdA in your profile to 0.384 and things should return to normal.
John Hamann
droffsite

Post by droffsite »

DFPM: no.

Hard resets: no.

I'll give the CdA a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the quick response!
droffsite

Post by droffsite »

Thinking about it, I'm guessing the DPFM it picked up is the TacX I have upstairs. Crazy range on that transmitter.

I updated the profile in the meter, we'll see later how that goes. Meanwhile, I updated the profile in the 1/23 and 1/25 files, but it still doesn't show power. Checking some UI (can't remember now that I've stepped away from it), power isn't listed as data available in that file.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

droffsite wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:09 pm Thinking about it, I'm guessing the DPFM it picked up is the TacX I have upstairs. Crazy range on that transmitter.

I updated the profile in the meter, we'll see later how that goes. Meanwhile, I updated the profile in the 1/23 and 1/25 files, but it still doesn't show power. Checking some UI (can't remember now that I've stepped away from it), power isn't listed as data available in that file.
You should see correct average power in stats window, but details won't appear in the graphs.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

droffsite wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:26 am DFPM: no.

Hard resets: no.

I'll give the CdA a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the quick response!
Something is likely causing your device to reset; this is because the ride file dates are all the same.
John Hamann
droffsite

Post by droffsite »

Successfully recorded a ride today after resetting in Isaac and doing a calibration out-and-back. Fingers crossed.

Any ideas on what would cause resets?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

droffsite wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:01 pm Successfully recorded a ride today after resetting in Isaac and doing a calibration out-and-back. Fingers crossed.

Any ideas on what would cause resets?
If you're not touching the button, the only thing I can think of might be a low battery. Make sure to fully charge your unit.
John Hamann
droffsite

Post by droffsite »

Make sure to fully charge your unit.
Battery was topped off, confirmed with the battery widget on my Edge saying it was good (assuming that's valid).

Unfortunately, looks like I spoke too soon on things being good. Short ride this morning went back to not reporting power except for standing going up short hills. Looks like the profile in the ride went with a negative crr. The profile that was supposed to be on the unit is attached, along with the .ibr and .fit files.

The bike is a Fairfax Marin (upright hybrid) with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires, thus the values in the intended profile.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(141.98 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your Crr is a large negative value -.0265. Why this is happening I do not know, but it should be + 0.0054.

Also, your cadence sensor is operating only intermittently. This is why you have so many dropouts.

You also have a DFPM in your wireless ID; are you using one? There is no DFPM data in your ride file.

I don't know what is causing all these problems, but I have never seen a unit spontaneously go crazy... :-)
John Hamann
droffsite

Post by droffsite »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:12 pm Your Crr is a large negative value -.0265. Why this is happening I do not know, but it should be + 0.0054.
That's close to how it was set when I started the ride (should've been the separate profile I included).
Velocomp wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:12 pm Also, your cadence sensor is operating only intermittently. This is why you have so many dropouts.
You can see in the .fit file that there were no cadence dropouts with my Edge, which is 1-2" higher up than the PowerPod.
Velocomp wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:12 pm You also have a DFPM in your wireless ID; are you using one? There is no DFPM data in your ride file.
That I don't understand. I have a TacX, but the reset/calibration ride I did was no where near that.
Velocomp wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:12 pm I don't know what is causing all these problems, but I have never seen a unit spontaneously go crazy... :-)
That makes 2 of us.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

In your profile I noticed that you had a pretty negative riding tilt, -3.3%. This suggests that the unit was rotated after calibration.

I would do the following:

1) Hard reset of your device. This might be the cause of the cadence problem
2) New sensor pairing, making sure you are 100 ft away from your TACX (the cadence sensor ID in your device might be from the TACX, too).
3) After doing the sensor pairing, connect your device to Isaac and go to Edit/Edit Profiles/Wireless IDs, to confirm that you don't have any DFPM ID. Also, check and compare your cadence ID to your previous cadence ID.
4) New cal ride

Hopefully this will fix things.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:12 pm Your Crr is a large negative value -.0265. Why this is happening I do not know, but it should be + 0.0054.

Also, your cadence sensor is operating only intermittently. This is why you have so many dropouts.

You also have a DFPM in your wireless ID; are you using one? There is no DFPM data in your ride file.

I don't know what is causing all these problems, but I have never seen a unit spontaneously go crazy... :-)
I just ran into this problem on my bike; a HUGE negative Crr.

The problem is that the Riding tilt % in Edit Profiles is too negative; -3.4%. (it should be around -0.7%). When the Riding Tilt is so negative, it causes the internal correction to overflow, creating the -Crr.

In my case, this happened because I substantially rotated my unit on my handlebars, but I did not do a new cal ride. My bad...

If you continue to have this problem of -Crr, do a new cal ride. This should fix things.
John Hamann
droffsite

Post by droffsite »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:59 am I would do the following:
Hopefully this will fix things.
Apologies for the slow response. I'm not getting notification emails any more when you respond.

I'll definitely give the tilt a check. I thought it looked a bit off. Will report back.