Bolt reporting ~50% speed (and distance)

2021Uphill

Bolt reporting ~50% speed (and distance)

Post by 2021Uphill »

Hi

I have a Wahoo Bolt with wahoo speed (front wheel) and cadence sensors, and a PowerPod for power.

The speed and distance measurements are incorrect when the Bolt seems to be taking power data from the PowerPod. When I stop pedaling the power decreases to 0 and the speed also stops being reported. Then the Bolt seems to pick up the wheel sensor and it then starts to report the correct speed data. If I start to pedal again the speed will drop to half as power >0 starts to be reported.

The distance reported is also off when I look at the upload on either the element app or strava (11 miles)

If I look at the PowerPod data natively, the distance and speed is correct. (about 22miles).

Wahoo, are not being very helpful, and suggested I come here, I dont think it is a PP issue. Just wondering if there is a way to prevent the PP sending, speed, cadence to the head unit ?

Thanks
mir

Re: Bolt reporting ~50% speed (and distance)

Post by mir »

On a Garmin only one sensor at a time can be used for a specific measurement. Eg. if speed is coming from a sensor on the wheel speed cannot at the same time come from PP. As soon as you click 'start ride' all sensors for a specific measurement is locked and cannot be changed as long as the ride is active. Does Wahoo not show similar behavior?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

What may be happening here is that your Wahoo is receiving data both in BLE and ANT formats.

PowerPod receives ANT data from the Wahoo sensors, and transmits power data in ANT format. If your Wahoo is configured to receive data in ANT format only, the Wahoo will receive two separate ANT signals: power from PowerPod, and speed from Wahoo/ANT. So, in ANT format, PowerPod has zero effect on how the Wahoo receives speed data from the Wahoo ANT sensor.

However, I believe Wahoo ALSO receives data in BLE format. PowerPod does transmit power and speed and cadence data in BLE format. Also, the Wahoo speed sensor transmits speed data simultaneously in BLE format. It's possible there is a conflict between the Wahoo receiving BLE speed data from the PowerPod, and simultaneously also receiving speed data from the Wahoo BLE speed sensor.

The thing to do is a new pairing of your speed and PowerPod sensors to your Wahoo, making sure that you are pairing ONLY to the ANT portion. Make sure, too, that your Wahoo is set to NOT receive any BLE signals.

Hopefully this will fix things; it is a shame that Wahoo would not tell you this.
John Hamann
2021Uphill

Post by 2021Uphill »

thank you!

I had this combination:
  • Wahoo sensors (speed and cadence) on Ant+
    PowerPod on BTLE. (no idea why it ended up there)
Repairing the PP to the wahoo seems to have done the trick :D
Everything is now on Ant+

Now if only wahoo will fix their annoying UI bugs I'll be all good.