Is my PowerMeter calibrated? Feels like too low power.

SomeDude

Is my PowerMeter calibrated? Feels like too low power.

Post by SomeDude »

HI all,
Just recently got the powerpod v3.
Was able to ride 3 10mile rides after doing out and back calibration.
However, I fell like my power is showing too low, specially when there is a head / side wind. I could feel the power in my legs as I struggled to maintain speed in head wind but it continued to show my power as 0. Since this is my first power meter and I have never used any other I have no basis to say either its accurate or not.
I use Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensor 2.
Also, have paired this with my Garmin Fenix 6. My average heart rate during the ride was 155bpm.
As I am new to this and Isaac, not sure where to look for what - just want to make sure the powermeter is calibrated accurately.

My bike is 2020 Giant Contend AR 1 with 700x32 tubeless tires.
I am 205lbs 5'7" / 93Kg 170cm.

Attaching one of my ride data along with the pictures of how I have this mounted on my bike - to get your expert knowledge if everything is setup accurately.
Attachments
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (106.92 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Velocomp_01_29_2021_1559_11_Miles.ibr
(273.92 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Is my PowerMeter calibrated? Feels like too low power.

Post by Velocomp »

Your ride file shows you riding in very strong headwinds and tailwinds. In this situation it is difficult to tell if your V3 is properly calibrated, though I don't see any obvious problem in your profile settings.

I suggest you attach your HR strap to your body, then do a new sensor pairing (press-hold button for 4 seconds to initiate). You'll have to then do a new cal ride, but after that you should also have HR data in your ride file. Please post another file after doing the new calibration.

If possible, do an out-and-back ride after the calibration. That will let me see if there are any issues with your calibration.
John Hamann
SomeDude

Post by SomeDude »

Thanks, John.
I know that when pairing cadence and speed sensor: when cadence is paired it blinks red few times then turns solid after pairing speed sensor. What pattern should I be looking for in hr sensor pairing while at the same time I am repairing cadence and speed sensors?
When you mean out and back ride meaning start and stop at same place? Not the actual calibration ride correct ?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

SomeDude wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:16 pm Thanks, John.
I know that when pairing cadence and speed sensor: when cadence is paired it blinks red few times then turns solid after pairing speed sensor. What pattern should I be looking for in hr sensor pairing while at the same time I am repairing cadence and speed sensors?
When you mean out and back ride meaning start and stop at same place? Not the actual calibration ride correct ?
You won't see any status light indication of HR strap pairing.

Ideally, your O&B ride would be a regular ride, after the cal ride, on a similar loop.
John Hamann
SomeDude

Post by SomeDude »

Hi John,
After Texas blizzard and cold weather... finally found a day with very little wind (weather said 5mph - 10 mph), normal for open Texas area I was able to go out riding again.
As you suggested I re-paired both cadence, speed and added heart rate sensor. Did a quick cal ride then a ~11mile out and back ride.
Attached are both cal file and actual ride. Still seems weird to me as I am applying pressure but the power output is low. Only one part of the ride felt like it was showing correct power.
Attachments
Velocomp_03_16_2021_1628_1_Miles_CalRide.ibr
Calibration Ride
(16.29 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Velocomp_03_16_2021_1632_0_Miles.ibr
Actual Ride
(165.17 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I am more surprised by your heart rate than anything else; you start with an HR of 150, quickly climbing to 170, and going as high as 190! What kind of HR strap are you using? These numbers seem about 2x normal...

You have very large headwinds in this ride, with odd "normal" parts in between. Are you riding in a group?

There are equally big tailwinds near the end of the ride.

What's tricky is that you are riding a hilly course. In places where your watts are low, such as around mile 3.2, the reason is that you are descending a hill. On descents, the more weight of you and your bike, the bigger the assisting boost you'll get from gravity.

Your PP is securely mounted to the bike, so I don't see anything obviously concerning...other than HR readings. In fact, where you work hardest in the ride, climbing a hill near mile 9, your HR goes DOWN! Something is not right...
John Hamann
SomeDude

Post by SomeDude »

I’m using wrist based heart rate (garmin fenix 6).
Heart rate was already elevated when I started due to other activities I did prior to riding.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

SomeDude wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:00 pm I’m using wrist based heart rate (garmin fenix 6).
Heart rate was already elevated when I started due to other activities I did prior to riding.
I remain very suspicious. Your HR increases on the portion of the ride where you are going downhill (mile 8). This is not reasonable.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I think some wrist based HR monitors are sensitive to how the band tightness is around the wrist.

My own iWatch can give misleading readings unless I make sure it is snug during exercise.

Tom
SomeDude

Post by SomeDude »

Got some heavy winds today gusts over 30mph so will upload another ride to see if anything changes if weather permits soon.