Power and Cadence drops to zero on a slight downhill

eric777

Power and Cadence drops to zero on a slight downhill

Post by eric777 »

Hi. I just bought the Powerpod v3 Lite. I watched a velocomp vid. So the bracket is solidly installed on my handlebar. The powerpod was charged full and reset. Then I paired with Wahoo RPM Speed and Cadence and Wahoo Bolt, and did a calibration ride. Wasn't the out and back calibration. Not sure how to specifically set that type of calibration.

Anyways, cycling up hill the numbers look good with the power being stable and not fluactuating wildly. But when I crest a hill and about to go down hill, even though I am still pedalling, power and cadence dropped to zero. I can understand if I am not pedalling a steep downhill, the power and cadence will be zero but when I am pedalling down a -2% grad downhill, power and cadence drop to zero. Power I am not sure since this is the first time I am using power but cadence has not dropped to zero for me before even though I am still pedalling.

Should I pair the powerpod to just the speed sensor? (How do i unpair the cadence sensor) and do another calibration ride on a flat route with an out and back method? (Do I need to somehow select I want to do an out and back calibration?

Thank you for your help.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power and Cadence drops to zero on a slight downhill

Post by Velocomp »

PPL does not use an O&B calibration; its calibration is simpler than V3.

Are you certain your cadence is dropping to zero on downhills? If cadence drops to zero when you're pedaling then there is a problem with your cadence sensor; this would have nothing to do with PPL. However, zero cadence forces PPL power to zero.

I'll await your reply, before talking about other next steps.
John Hamann
eric777

Post by eric777 »

Yes. I have noticed more often than not cadence drops to zero and PPL then also registers zero on lower grade descents where i can still pedal. Higher grade/steeper descent i am not pedalling so zero cadence and power are expected. Before PPL, never notice it happening.

Thank you
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If cadence drops to zero while you are pedaling, something is wrong with your cadence sensor.

1) How do you know it drops to zero? By observing cadence on your bike computer?
2) What kind of cadence sensor are you using?
John Hamann
eric777

Post by eric777 »

1. Yes by looking at my wahoo bolt while pedalling
2. Wahoo RPM Cadence
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

eric777 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:10 pm 1. Yes by looking at my wahoo bolt while pedalling
2. Wahoo RPM Cadence
If you see zero cadence on your Wahoo Bolt while pedaling, then there is a problem with your cadence sensor.

PowerPod assumes the cadence data it receives is correct. PP cannot will not operate properly when the cadence sensor is transmitting bogus data.
John Hamann
eric777

Post by eric777 »

Ok thanks John. Will check the sensor. Maybe change the battery as well snd see if that fixes it.