PP V3, died and resurrected again

tristo

PP V3, died and resurrected again

Post by tristo »

Dear all,
Today during the ride, after about 2 hours, PP suddenly stopped working - sending data, power, and cadence, and a little later speed data. My first thought was that the battery was dead, I.e. when I pressed the button there was no light as if the battery was totally empty, although yesterday I charged the battery full.
When i came home and connected the PP to the computer it did not show any light at all, and in the isak program showed as if PP was not connected.
Later I did a hard reset and a red flashing light appeared as if it was charging, and I was also able to download the ride which was interrupted (stopped) at the place where I started to lose data (ibr. file in attach)
Now it looks ok, but we'll see how it will behave on the next ride?
have you had a experience like this, on the forum I did not encounter a situation in which PP is connected to a computer and is completely dead.
b.r.
Toni
Attachments
06_12_2020_1132_0_km.ibr
(635.76 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PP V3, died and resurrected again

Post by Velocomp »

It sounds like your PP required a hard reset. Why it stopped I do not know, but let us know if this problem continues.
John Hamann
romac

Post by romac »

I had a similar problem yesterday.
Just set up my new Powerpod V3 and had 3 successful rides, downloading the files after each to my Mac. I left the unit connected to recharge overnight after the last ride. Went to ride yesterday and the unit would not respond when the button was pressed. Attempted multiple times with no success.
After the ride, I connected to the computer, but the device would not register in Issac (no light showed on the device). I connected to a dedicated USB charger and there was no response (lights not lit). I looked at several threads around this type of issue and tried the "hard reset". After a ~12 sec button hold, the unit flashed green one time then started flashing red. I connected the USB to the computer and was able to connect to Issac successfully.
Any insight into what is going on is appreciated

Bob
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

romac wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 am I had a similar problem yesterday.
Just set up my new Powerpod V3 and had 3 successful rides, downloading the files after each to my Mac. I left the unit connected to recharge overnight after the last ride. Went to ride yesterday and the unit would not respond when the button was pressed. Attempted multiple times with no success.
After the ride, I connected to the computer, but the device would not register in Issac (no light showed on the device). I connected to a dedicated USB charger and there was no response (lights not lit). I looked at several threads around this type of issue and tried the "hard reset". After a ~12 sec button hold, the unit flashed green one time then started flashing red. I connected the USB to the computer and was able to connect to Issac successfully.
Any insight into what is going on is appreciated

Bob
We will investigate...
John Hamann
kyleraphael

Post by kyleraphael »

I have the same issue. After a hard reset, the same thibg happened over again after a couple of minutes (during the calibration ride - which I have to do every ride again :s ).
The pod is great when it works, but more often it doesn't. I hope my usage is the problem and that I can get it to work properly!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kyleraphael wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:50 pm I have the same issue. After a hard reset, the same thibg happened over again after a couple of minutes (during the calibration ride - which I have to do every ride again :s ).
The pod is great when it works, but more often it doesn't. I hope my usage is the problem and that I can get it to work properly!
If you are doing a calibration ride every ride, then something else is not right. Make sure you click the button when awakening PP. Do NOT press-hold the button.
John Hamann
doib

Post by doib »

I also had the same problem yesterday. During a road bike ride, my pp v3 started to score low watts on the ascent and highs on the descent. I immediately turned it off by pressing the button 5 times. A little later I tried to turn it back on, but no light came on and did not transmit power to the garmin (which however showed 0 watts, as if pp were still connected). The same thing had already happened to me once last year, always with the road bike (which is equipped with original garmin sensors without magnets first series on hub and crank arm). Arrived at home and disconnected pp from the bike, pressing the button no sign of life, but I'm sure it was not a charging problem. In fact, I connected it to the pc and reset it and everything seems to have gone right, the LED turned on and I was able to download the race. I attach the file of the race (partial of about 30 km, the whole race lasted 70 km). I also enclose the zero run that the PP recorded when I tried to turn it back on.
This problem has never happened to me with the mtb equipped with the garmin gsc10, could it be the fault of the sensors of the road bike?
Bye, Thanks
Attachments
iBike_2021_03_26_1649_0_km.ibr
(14.91 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
iBike_2021_03_26_1458_29_km.ibr
(299.35 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
mir

Post by mir »

I had the same problem yesterday. The day before I connected it to a USB power device and as usual I saw a number of green led blink followed by a number of red led blink as usual. The next day it would not power on so I connected it to the power source again and left it the night over. Next day didn't change anything so I pressed the button for 12 sec until I saw an orange blink followed by green blink in which case everything was back to normal. I just attached my PP to the computer and started Isaac and chose 'Set Active Profile in Device' and all my previous profiles was still present in PP so I am quite sure it did not do a hardware reset but obvious something else happened since my PP is now back in working order again. It would be nice to have this bug sorted out since this is not the first time it have happened to me and I use above method every time to recover without loosing ride files or profiles. The active profile in PP corresponded with the bike used for the last recorded ride.

Forgot: I have a PPv3

Some more info: I always put my PP in deep sleep (pressing button 5 times displaying green, orange, and red) after my rides so it was in deep sleep when connecting to power source. Since it wakes when connecting to power source I put it in deep sleep again while connected to power source.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are investigating this.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 pm We are investigating this.
Just write here if you need some more info.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:36 pm
Velocomp wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 pm We are investigating this.
Just write here if you need some more info.
Please provide any details of the circumstances when the problem occurred.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:09 pm Please provide any details of the circumstances when the problem occurred.
I just remembered two other observations before ending the last ride before it would not power on:
1) PP was running low on power - blinking red, and Garmin had also warned me of low power on the power meter
2) When I came home and waited for the ride file to be uploaded to connect - all sensors including PP was still turned on and paired, Garmin ran out of battery and stopped with a blank screen - after this I put PP into deep sleep.
CP_in_SC

Post by CP_in_SC »

I've got a problem similar to that described on this thread--PP v3 is not recharging, and no LEDs are illuminated--but unfortunately, the hard reset is not working. I've tried the hard reset after having the PP plugged into a power source for 20 min., unplugged ...same results. Nada.

Any other suggestions on how to resurrect my PP v3?

Here's a bit more detail:

I’ve tried different charging cables, and connected to different power sources, and none work.

In case it’s helpful … Another issue that seemed to pop up before this failure was the PowerPod’s tendency to give me wildly low or high power data during the first 5 minutes or so of the ride … then it would settle down and seemed accurate. This issue arose only in the weeks prior to the PowerPod losing its ability to charge. Perhaps related?

Purchased December 2019 (from Power Meter City); has worked fairly reliably until this issue popped up.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

CP_in_SC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:59 pm I've got a problem similar to that described on this thread--PP v3 is not recharging, and no LEDs are illuminated--but unfortunately, the hard reset is not working. I've tried the hard reset after having the PP plugged into a power source for 20 min., unplugged ...same results. Nada.

Any other suggestions on how to resurrect my PP v3?

Purchased December 2019 (from Power Meter City); has worked fairly reliably until this issue popped up.
Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann
Lyonn

Post by Lyonn »

Whoa, this just happened to me today on my PP V4. It died halfway while riding and was completely unresponsive to button presses and in ISAAC. Did the hard rest as stated in the initial post and the PP is now back to live. Have you guys figured what causes this yet?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Lyonn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 am Whoa, this just happened to me today on my PP V4. It died halfway while riding and was completely unresponsive to button presses and in ISAAC. Did the hard rest as stated in the initial post and the PP is now back to live. Have you guys figured what causes this yet?
It is a very rare but completely annoying bug. We have some beta FW that MIGHT fix it but the problem is so rare we're not sure. If you like email jhamann@velocomp.com and we will send you the beta FW.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Is it possible that a marginal USB connection is part of this issue?

And as such, Isaac is not getting good data?