Is there anything I need to do post-calibration ride

Gottago

Is there anything I need to do post-calibration ride

Post by Gottago »

Hi there PPV3 users,
I'm relatively new and I apologize in advance if this questions seems obvious. It's not exactly clear from either the Powerpod V3 instructions or the Isaac manual about what to do after the calibration ride. From what I gathered, after a calibration ride, I need to download the data into Isaac? I went to Device>Download Ride Data>Download and Save. Is that correct? I believe it said calibration was successful for Profile #1. I did the same for a second bike (Profile #2).

So my next question is: For my next ride do I simply connect PPV3 to Isaac and select Device>Set Active Profile in Device - select the appropriate profile? Then when I mount the PP to the bike, do I need to do anything to connect PP to sensors and Garmin (hold button for 4 seconds), or will it do it automatically? The last time I tried to go for a ride, I pressed the button once (just clicked it), and it just flashed green for a long time then went out, it did not connect to the Garmin. My understanding is I click the button once and wake up sensors by spinning wheel and cranks - it will flash green, then go solid green.

Admittedly, I don't think when I initially calibrated I downloaded the ride data (which I'm guessing is integrated into the profile).

I hope this makes sense...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Is there anything I need to do post-calibration ride

Post by Velocomp »

Isaac is a software program that lets you download and see your PP ride data graphically (Power, speed, wind, slope, elevation).

Additionally, Isaac lets you setup bike "profiles", and later download and see your bike/rider setup data.

While Isaac is a great additional feature of PP, you don't have to use Isaac in order to get the full functionality of your PP.

You can setup bike profiles with the "Settings" feature of our PowerHouse Bike app for iOS/Android.

If you have multiple bikes and each has its own set of speed sensors, each time you awaken your PP it will automatically figure out which bike you're riding.

My daily startup procedure is this:

1) ride bike for about 10 seconds. This awakens my speed and cadence sensors
2) Click PP button. The light will flash green until the speed sensor is found. Light turns solid green (sensor found), then goes out
3) Turn on Garmin

After you've setup your PP for your bike and have calibrated it, for subsequent bike rides do NOT press-hold the button for 4 seconds. Whenever you press-hold you will put PP into find sensor/calibration mode.
John Hamann
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

You also mentioned that the PP will be used on more than one bike. It is crucial that the PP be returned to the exact same position on each respective bike that the calibration for that bike was conducted.

So the PP does not have to be an identical orientation over the span of all bikes - just that on any given bike the PP ends up as it was before for that bike.

And keep in mind that the first few moments of any ride: the early power readings will fluctuate until the PP adjusts to the current tilt of the device on that bike.

You should not have to go back to check calibration much if you take care in how the PP is mounted and stable and I would recommend that you not even look at check calibration for any long rides which are even out and back (where on a short ride you might occasionally see some calibration improvement) - likely the wind will have changed during the ride and you will be adjusting your calibration due to the whims of nature and nothing more. But do not fiddle with the calibration unless you get really large changes - and when that happens - ask yourself - why? More often than not the PP is not in the same position.
Gottago

Post by Gottago »

Great. Thanks for your input. I think I've got it to work. Initially the power fluctuated then seemed to settle down after a couple of minutes. Of course now is the SURI Mac OS issue. Fingers crossed that there will be an eventual Isaac upgrade, but it looks like I can use my Garmin to collect power data. Is that correct?

Happy New Year to all. Safe riding in 2021!
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

As John noted in another section of the forum (Isaac Software) and I reported -

http://www.velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5633

There is a free downloadable version of VMware Fusion (personal use) that would allow you to install an older operating system of MacOS - say Catalina or even an older system - doing so would allow you to install Isaac that will run in this older systems.

An advantage of using this approach instead of Boot Camp - where you actually restart the Mac in another - VMware can run at the same time as Big Sur. So when the need arises to get the data off of the PP - just crank up VMware and start your alternate OS to read the data with Isaac.

Tom