PPv3; Pitot tube breaks question

Biff

PPv3; Pitot tube breaks question

Post by Biff »

Hi John,
Here's my question:
What, if anything, would you expect to see happen to power readings after the Pitot tube is broken off and a few rides occur with the threaded base of the tube still screwed into the PP? (the PP and its angle did not change)

Side question:

Am I right to want to keep a Pitot tube on there as it ensures first wind?
I.E. now, with no Pitot, I think in certain quartering winds, my light which is to the left but behind the PP (without tube) only maybe half an inch disturbs airflow and is causing less power to be shown. I'd attach a pic if my legs worked. :(
Biff

Re: PPv3; Pitot tube breaks question

Post by Biff »

Sorry, I have a third, unrelated question:

If I change my handle bars or whatever, and remove the PP (noting the angle with a bubble level app) and re-attach the PP, what happens/does it matter if the angle is different by a degree or 2- or any for that matter.
My thinking is the newer calibration ability I recall you saying it does in under 90 seconds or so. I've assumed the next ride after changes gets auto calibrated in the first couple minutes.

Thanks John.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Biff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:29 pm Sorry, I have a third, unrelated question:

If I change my handle bars or whatever, and remove the PP (noting the angle with a bubble level app) and re-attach the PP, what happens/does it matter if the angle is different by a degree or 2- or any for that matter.
My thinking is the newer calibration ability I recall you saying it does in under 90 seconds or so. I've assumed the next ride after changes gets auto calibrated in the first couple minutes.

Thanks John.
Answers to both your postings:

1) If your pitot tube breaks then it is likely that your wind calibration has changed. Wind calibration is not automatically corrected so I would do a new cal ride

2) I do think that the pitot tube helps. You can get a replacement inexpensively from our webstore, and it's easy to unscrew the old one.

3) PP is EXTREMELY sensitive to slope; it can detect a change of angle as little as 0.05%! No worries, though; PP will automatically recalibrate itself. So don't worry if you don't get the mounting angle exact from ride to ride.
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

Awesome! Thanks! My 2 new tubes were delivered to my PO box today.
Biff

Post by Biff »

oh....presumably then, I can attach the new tube and ride on with no worries, no?

Thanks again.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Biff wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:30 pm oh....presumably then, I can attach the new tube and ride on with no worries, no?

Thanks again.
Yes, that should work just fine.
John Hamann